Troubleshoot "view In Google Earth" Error

Texas-Jacksons

I'm looking for some troubleshooting help.

When I lookup a Travelbug and click on the "view in google earth" and click "open file" I get the following message: "Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied". My computer hasn't always done this. I tried the Google Earth upgrade for a while and then uninstalled it and reverted to the basic free version. I was able to click and open the file prior to this. For now when I click the KML link I select save rather than open and then open the saved file from Google Earth, but I would like to fix this error. Anyone know why I'm getting this error message?

FYI: the path is C:\Documents and Settings\Jackson\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\.... however there are no folders in Temp Internet Files folder, only files and cookies.

Try right-clicking the TB link and save the KML file on your Desktop. If GE can open that then the problem is with your browser settings. BTW: you can't see folders under Temporary Internet Files with Explorer, but you can from a command prompt:

Start -> Run -> CMD

C:

CD "\Documents and Settings"

CD Jackson

CD "Local Settings"

CD "Temporary Internet Files"

CD "Content.IE5"

If you get an error along the way, your tempfiles path doesn't exist all the way out to "Content.IE5" which could be the cause of your problem. You could try reconstructing it with the MD command (ie: MD Content.IE5).

If the path exists, that should reveal the hidden folders, not that it matters since your problem would then appear to be with the IE settings.

Also, you might want to check the Windows Registry for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths

Edited by plook