Multi Caches....

wandat24

I have noticed there are not very many Multi caches in my little corner of Oklahoma. In fact the closes ones are 23+ miles away from me.....Which isn't bad I know, but I am thinking of setting one or two up here close....

I would like everyone's thoughts/ideas on an idea I have to do.... I'm wanting to have a multi with about 6 stages that go from one town to the one I live in (it's about a 10-13 mile drive from there to here). Then have a regular sized container at the last stage. Then I was thinking of having one that leads from another town to here, but have the last stage the same one. I am planning 10 different small-regular caches from here to the second town (so cachers would have others to go after on the way), and some of them will be placed to have newer ones between me and the first town. I am also going to have a few more in my town and a few more in the second town (first town already has ALOT of them lol). Also wondering if there's a rule that I haven't found that says I can't place a regular cache in the same area as a virtual....would it be the same .10 rule or different?

I have also consider haveing the last stage of the two in diffrent areas, but was wondering what anyone thought about them being the same. I have two spots picked out for it, I guess though someone could actually count both when they'd only done one and would be best to have them in different spots..... I'm sure this isthe way I'll do it (different last stages).

I have noticed there are not very many Multi caches in my little corner of Oklahoma. In fact the closes ones are 23+ miles away from me.....Which isn't bad I know, but I am thinking of setting one or two up here close....

I would like everyone's thoughts/ideas on an idea I have to do.... I'm wanting to have a multi with about 6 stages that go from one town to the one I live in (it's about a 10-13 mile drive from there to here). Then have a regular sized container at the last stage. Then I was thinking of having one that leads from another town to here, but have the last stage the same one. I am planning 10 different small-regular caches from here to the second town (so cachers would have others to go after on the way), and some of them will be placed to have newer ones between me and the first town. I am also going to have a few more in my town and a few more in the second town (first town already has ALOT of them lol). Also wondering if there's a rule that I haven't found that says I can't place a regular cache in the same area as a virtual....would it be the same .10 rule or different?

I have also consider haveing the last stage of the two in diffrent areas, but was wondering what anyone thought about them being the same. I have two spots picked out for it, I guess though someone could actually count both when they'd only done one and would be best to have them in different spots..... I'm sure this isthe way I'll do it (different last stages).

I think you might run into some issues with spreading the multi out so far ... it certainly will mean that you will likely have few finders since many people won't be able to invest the time in travel to do the whole series. I would instead suggest a "series" cache ... we have one locally based on the solar system (it uses relative distance to demonstrate how far the planets are from the Sun). Each of those caches is an individual cache in it's own right -- loggable independently -- but also contains a piece of information in addition to the log that you need to solve a final puzzle (in the case of the solar system cache, it's a number).

Once you've visited all the caches in the series, you have enough information to complete a "offset" puzzle cache somehow using all the of the numbers you learned during your journey. This puzzle cache can have it's bogus coords listed "approximately" near where the true hide is (as is suggested in the GC guidelines).

This solves your issue of caches from "here" to "there" problem as well since now they have reason to stop at them all ... and for those not willing to invest the time to do the whole series, they can just knock off and log the individual pieces as time permits.

Here's the series ... GCR3WK

You could use just about anything for you theme as long as there is some connection to tie them together (in other words, to get people to wonder what the "other" caches in the series might be like.

In the case of the Solar System one above, by the time you've travelled to Pluto, you're 2 hours and 100 miles away from where you started!

Other ideas that I've seen locally ... The Three Little Pigs (with the final of, you guessed it "The Big Bad Wolf"). And one kind of similar to the idea your thinking about (a multi, not a series) ... GCRCNM (check out the other hides by this cache's owner -- he's got some of the most unique and fun caches around)

Edited by Lasagna

I think you might run into some issues with spreading the multi out so far ... it certainly will mean that you will likely have few finders since many people won't be able to invest the time in travel to do the whole series. I would instead suggest a "series" cache ... we have one locally based on the solar system (it uses relative distance to demonstrate how far the planets are from the Sun). Each of those caches is an individual cache in it's own right -- loggable independently -- but also contains a piece of information in addition to the log that you need to solve a final puzzle (in the case of the solar system cache, it's a number).

Once you've visited all the caches in the series, you have enough information to complete a "offset" puzzle cache somehow using all the of the numbers you learned during your journey. This puzzle cache can have it's bogus coords listed "approximately" near where the true hide is (as is suggested in the GC guidelines).

This solves your issue of caches from "here" to "there" problem as well since now they have reason to stop at them all ... and for those not willing to invest the time to do the whole series, they can just knock off and log the individual pieces as time permits.

Here's the series ... GCR3WK

You could use just about anything for you theme as long as there is some connection to tie them together (in other words, to get people to wonder what the "other" caches in the series might be like.

In the case of the Solar System one above, by the time you've travelled to Pluto, you're 2 hours and 100 miles away from where you started!

Other ideas that I've seen locally ... The Three Little Pigs (with the final of, you guessed it "The Big Bad Wolf"). And one kind of similar to the idea your thinking about (a multi, not a series) ... GCRCNM (check out the other hides by this cache's owner -- he's got some of the most unique and fun caches around)

Thanks for the idea for the series. I'll look at the caches you mentioned and at the last one's hider's other hides.