Big Groups Or Many Groups - Why Would That Be A Good Idea?

I am noticing that a lot of Groups are forming and it got me wondering about things.

Why would I want to have a large number of people in my Group? Isn't the idea just to have a few back-ups in case I'm busy?

Why would people want to join the Group if they aren't Officers? Is this the new version of a Watchlist?

How many Groups should ONE person join? If I joined everything, won't I possibly have a lot of work to do, and if not, why join the Group if I'm not needed?

I've been asked to join about a dozen groups so far, and honestly I'm only joining ones that interest me and I think I can help with or I have some knowledge on the subject...

Don't get me wrong... the ones I'm not in are great too... I just can't see how I could effectively help and I also don't want to spread myself too thin.

In the rush to get things going, is it possible to be over-doing it?

Is it just about belonging?

<_< The Blue Quasar

I agree, Waymarking is something you choose something you like and run with it. Being in more than 3 groups would add way to much to my already crazy workload.

I enjoy Historic markers of anytype and think I will leave it at that.

There is already an option to add a category to your watchlist so being a non-officer member is confusing to me as well.

There should be a limit on groups you are attached to as an officer as the ability to actually check each waymark dwindles and then the quality of data supplied to the category declines.

Being a GIS Engineer and having created many databases for well over a decade, I enjoy Waymarking but feel the numbers game or Icon game of it should be left in Geocaching as I have already seen horrible post.

Speaking of horrible post: I refuse any and all camera phone post as they are horrible, just horrible! How can anyone justify using one to take an accurate photo of a historical place, building, structure, site of interest or anything else outside of McDonalds.

flyingmoose

is this watchlist you speak of the favorites list? i thought the function of a watchlist was to recieve emails. i recieved none from my favs.....

i am a member in several groups, i only take action on 'mine', the others i remain as a back up, incase those in front of me are all away--i get emails from people in 'the line'.

my problem with lots of groups (being an officer) is the number of emails. on the weekends it can get into the tripls digets if i dont check it regularly. and then i only go to 'my categories' and see which need attention--opening each email to see what group it is for is time consuming). this issue might be corrected with daily digest functions mentioned in other threads.

as for being a regular member, it is more about the support of a category. who knows, maybe McDs will give all members of that group a free big mac or something. being part of different groups adds anothe level of individuality to Waymarking.

Yeah, you're right Chapterhouse!

Honestly I stopped reading the emails after the Group thing started. It is far easier to just go to the "MY PAGE" then to "MY CATEGORIES" and look for the blue exclamation marks to see if there are Waymarks to review.

It just part of my ritual now, every day I look at that page and see if I need to do anything. There really is no need for the multiple emails. The other problem with the email feature is that a majority of the time another Officer has already reviewed the Waymark before I get there, which is fine. But that makes the email even less required than before.

Maybe making this an option... similar to the Insta-notify... would work

"Notify me of new submissions in this Category?" radio button/check box would be AWESOME.

:laughing: The Blue Quasar