Interesting Hunt

Cyclometh

Submitted this to NGS for SY3260 today:

---

Disk is gone, concrete base remains, and pin disk was set in is also present. Access is no longer possible from Mission Street. Alternate access can be had by proceeding an additional .015 miles from Mission Street (approximate) north on East Bay Drive. Turn left into Priest Point Park entrance. From Kitchen No. 2 on the south side of the park, follow the trail west to the beach. From the sign warning the public off the mud flats, go south southeast (160 degrees magnetic) 122 paces to the marker monument. The witness post, gate, tree and triangular blaze are no longer present.

---

I was just pleased I was able to find anything of the mark at all! :laughing: My son and I found it on the beach after a short hunt and a talk with someone who lived at the end of the street in the datasheet, who explained that the street had been demolished years ago, the gate was still back there somewhere and the beach was now private.

Found alternate access, as the mark itself was on the public portion of the beach, then found the mark, or at least where it had existed.

One thing I love about benchmark hunting is learning about local history and places you've never been in your own area- I've lived around here for 35 years and never even knew this bit of beach was there. I always thought it was mudflats from end to end around there.

I agree about the local history aspect of benchmark hunting, Cyclo. And you wrote an excellent report!

-Paul-

Why, thank you. :P I wonder if the thing's even useful any more, though. I assume that if the pin is there it's still useful, but it probably hasn't been referenced in the last 20 years or more.