Map Send Topo 3d And Explorist 400 Problems

I just got map send topo 3d for my 400, I had to reload it already, it was corrupting my geocache files on my sd card, also it takes a long time to boot up with it.... did I do something wrong? My firmware on the gps is Ver 2.02(updated) it is supposed to be compatible, it worked good for a while then seemed to degrade.

anyone else have problems?

Jim :o

You may have to quantify a few things to verify you have something unusual going on. How long does it take to start up? How do you know it was the detail map files corrupting your gs files (and in what way were the files being corrupted)? How is firmware performance deteriorating?

You may have to quantify a few things to verify you have something unusual going on. How long does it take to start up? How do you know it was the detail map files corrupting your gs files (and in what way were the files being corrupted)? How is firmware performance deteriorating?

it all started when I added a topo 3d detail map. they said to update firmware from the cd that came with topo 3d, My Explorist 400 wasn't on it so I figured it was ok, I uploaded a region to my SD card(the card was a 1gb which I had over 500 caches on it and have been using with the base map with no problems) evrything seemed to work fine, drove to work follwed the new streets on topo, was cool!! then I noticed the active setup would keep losing my cache file(it would say empty) so I would load again in active setup for geocaches and it would lose it again...it would also freeze up intermitently and I would have to pull the battery. SO I formated the card and wiped the memory in the GPS, upgraded firmware from Maggelan site, uploaded my POI's and Geocaches . still did it, mostly was just either feezing up or rebooting itself. SO I bought a new SD card and started over, worked fine untill I added a detail map ... then it all started over, even if I format the card and don't add a detail map, it just freezes up or reboots itself... ARRRG it ruined another SD Card??? Left a message on magellans support email but of course that was yesterday and todays saturday.. I have only had this 1 month and 12 days.. think sears would exchange it?? course I think my card is corrupted.

That info helps; my first impression is that you may well have a lemon, although there still may be some correctable reason for it. If you can exchange it, I'd try that just because it's the easiest thing to do.

A few thoughts:

1. Are you certain you loaded the right firmware (i.e., for the 400 and not for the 500)? --it is rare that someone makes this mistake, but it does happen and unpredicatble results can result.

2. How large is your detail map? Topo3D is supposed to be able to work with large files, but DirectRoute is supposed to stay at 64mb or less, and corruption problems were frequent with larger files there. If you were using something humongous, smaller files might work better (I don't think you'd necessarily have to drop down to 64mb, but maybe 100-150mb?)

3. The freezes and lockups were not uncommon with the first firmware, but shouldn't be happening with the update. Do the apparent data losses happen after these freezes? (maybe that's why settings aren't being saved) BTW, rather than removing the battery you usually can force a power-off by simultaneously pushing NAV + MENU + PWR.

Edited by embra

That info helps; my first impression is that you may well have a lemon, although there still may be some correctable reason for it. If you can exchange it, I'd try that just because it's the easiest thing to do.

A few thoughts:

1. Are you certain you loaded the right firmware (i.e., for the 400 and not for the 500)? --it is rare that someone makes this mistake, but it does happen and unpredicatble results can result.

2. How large is your detail map? Topo3D is supposed to be able to work with large files, but DirectRoute is supposed to stay at 64mb or less, and corruption problems were frequent with larger files there. If you were using something humongous, smaller files might work better (I don't think you'd necessarily have to drop down to 64mb, but maybe 100-150mb?)

3. The freezes and lockups were not uncommon with the first firmware, but shouldn't be happening with the update. Do the apparent data losses happen after these freezes? (maybe that's why settings aren't being saved) BTW, rather than removing the battery you usually can force a power-off by simultaneously pushing NAV + MENU + PWR.

I didn't know that about the forced power.. that will help. unfortunatly a return is out of the question, Sears said not if it's over 30 days....

I had maybe 2 freeze ups before firmware update, is there a way to totally clear the memory, not just by "clear memory" menu? i have a feeling there is a hidden file or something embedded, all was perfect before the mapsend topo 3d.. and the files were small, the largest was the state of Ma. which didn't take much memory.

Thanks for the help

A good resource is the Underground Explorist site. There (on the Service Functions page) you can find that the combination GOTO + OUT + POWER will clear all memory and reset settings to factory defaults.

That reminds me, too, that doing a clearing all memory both before and after firmware updates is good procedure. Sometimes some unwanted bit lives on.

Edited by embra

Embra, Thanks a bunch for steering me towards that website, it was exactly what I needed, I actually was able to learn about some hidden files and I installed the older version of firmware that was in it when I bought it. the way it had me install it was much different than Maggelans way and I think this time it overwrote the bad file, and is working good now...... now the question remains, do I first upgrade to the 2.02 version of firmware then try mapsend again... this time mapsend would be used with the newer firmware version... not like last time when I tried it with ver 1.64 had the problem then upgraded 2.02 and still had the problem.... am I confusing anyone here? I think it may work because with the mapsend topo 3d it says you must upgrade firmware to latest.. but they fail to include the explorist firmwares in the disc.. which makes you believ your unit won't be affected.. but on the box and in the explorist 400 instructions both say the mapsend topo 3d is compatible... ok enough ramblin.. I'll get to work on it, heck we're getting 6-12" snow tonight, I won't be caching for awhile... so if I have to redo it all again I'll know how

Thanks

Jim

I'm thinking that "upgrade to latest firmware" warning is for the SporTraks and Meridians which probably required the new firmware to handle some aspect of T3D. The program release preceeded the 4/5/600 explorist releases, so they already had T3D-compatible firmwares on them.

I think it is a pretty safe bet to upgrade to the 2.02, which solves some problems on the explorist. I can see an argument for using the older firmware for a little while to assure yourself it's stable and then moving up to the new one. However, since you can now go back to the old one if you need to, you may as well see how the 2.02 works for you and go back to the old one if you feel the need.

Just remember to do a lot of clear memory/all's :lol:

Well I finished upgrading last night to 2.02... then said what the heck and reloaded a detail map on, and all my Geocaches and POI's.. took a ride with it for almost 10 miles.. worked great, didn't freeze up or shut off, it seems like that was the fix.. now time will tell, funny thing is I was Jones'ing for a GPS fix, but now that it's fixed we just got dumped on with a foot of snow.. go figure, I was going to be going north this week for work and figured I would do a Bug drop up there for a bug that needs to get to Canada... NH is closer but we'll see.... Thanks for all the Help, I'll keep you posted if it's a permanent fix :anicute:

Glad its working Maple Gang. Just a note for everyone out there, my experience has been that the enclosed software upgrade disk doesn't always have the most recent OS on it. That was the case when I bought US Topo 3D, Directroute 2.0, and Topo Canada. I forget the disk and download the lates from the website.

JDandDD

(it gets bad when you edit for a typo and make another)

Edited by JDandDD

:cool: hehe I spoke too soon, again it started to act up. I do believe it's the mapsend topo 3d doing it, it will work great for a while but then it degrades performance, almost as if the unit cant handle that much info that is both the detail map and the geocaches....I would go to zoom in after driving a bit then it would freeze up after I hit the in button, then it would reboot.... so back to square one, just the older operating system and geocaches and see how that does for a while, in the mean time contact Magellan and ask them what the heck is up..... I really liked having the detail maps, so much info, loved the versitility of it... ARRRGGGH WHY ME WHY NOW>> OH THE HUMANITY :anicute:

Jim

OK, that was probably 11mb but even then would hardly be a drag. Unless you had reason to suspect that the particular map file was corrupted--and it sounds like you've regenerated at least once with the same results (maybe I'm wrong on that)--I can't think what else it would be. It may be time to get a good book to read and hunker down for a call to Magellan tech support.

Well, maybe I can think of something else. If you've got the detail setting on highest, perhaps putting it down to something lower might take some load of the processor. On my Meridian I found that screen redraws could take overly long if at too high a detail setting. It never locked up from that kind of thing, though. Even though you make it sounds like the GPS processor can't keep up with its workload...well, it should.

...just thinking out loud.