Topo Lines On Topo Gb Explorist 600

rt777

I have noticed recently that the Topo GB contour lines (Topo Lines) on my Explorist 600 are few and far between.

Looking at the top of Mount Snowden for example, the contour lines are 200 feet apart.

I have recently loaded the latest firmware.

Is this contour line distance normal for an Explorist 600., or is this caused by a setting somewhere?

Please advise

Topo GB? That's Great Britain, I'm guessing.

And you're not a normal resident of said nation? Hard to tell. You don't offer much information.

So I'll take a guess. I'm guessing that you're used to Topo USA 3D and the resolution. You're planning a holiday across the pond so bought the topo maps for the area and are disappointed in the resolution.

Am I close? If so, the reason is likely because the US has available much better maps for this sort of thing. It's the source data, and not the GPS.

Jamie

Jamie,

I am a resident of the UK, near Bath, Somerset, and have used Topo GB for some time on my explorist 600.

Topo GB itself has excellent contour lines (topo lines) on the PC, but for some reason only a few of these appear on my explorist 600, and they are about 200 feet apart.

A friend of mine also has Topo GB, but runs it on a Meridian color. He has many more contor lines on the same map as mine, and they are therfore much closer together - about 12 feet apart.

I have recently upgraded the firmware to Rev5.2.03 Dec 15 2005 - I cant remember what the contour line spacing was before upgrade.

I am hoping that this is not a function of a/. the 600 or b/. the firmware.

Maybe Magellan can let me know the issues.

Thanks for the clarification. However, now I'm even more confused.

I don't use Topo software on my Explorist, so I don't have any experience. You can try Geoid's suggestion and make sure your detail is set to highest.

Also, when you create your region and send it to the GPS, make sure that the region, in the box on the right, has the checkbox marked for "include topo data."

Like I said, I'm not familiar with 3D, but I've used the old Mapsend Topo, and with that program, you could choose whether or not to send the topo data to the GPS. Maybe yours is turned off. That's all I can think of. Maybe someone with experience with the software can jump in.

Jamie

The Map Setup/format/detail is set to highest, and Topo Lines are checked in Map Setup/Display, the Topo info in Mapsend Topo GB (T) is turned on against the region name when saving the region.

If there any 600 users running Topo GB viewing this thread who have contour lines closer than 200 feet?

It would be useful to here from you.

Thanks to Jamie and all those who have responded so far.

I admit I am confused by your description; you should get a topo line for every 50 meters vertical displacement. In a large flat area you get none. Cliffs of Dover should have a whole bunch right next to each other.

Why would you expect a topo line every 200 feet linear distance?

Robert

Problem solved.

An Exporist 600 USA having a USA basemap, being used in the UK with Topo GB, and a European basemap created with Mapsend Worldwide Basemap, stored in the SD Card.

When having a basemap active that was created with Mapsend Worlwide Basemap, if the (T) is highlighted when saving the Basemap region, the topo lines created by the Basemap override the topo lines of the overlaying Mapsend GB Topo Region, which are then not visible. - the Basemap topo lines are generally at 200 foot Altitude intervals, whereas the Topo GB topo lines are generally at approx. 12 foot Altitude intervals.

Moral - If you wish to display the Topo GB topo (contour) lines correctly in a Topo GB region overlaying a basemap, created using WorldWide Basemap, make sure that you unhighlight the (T) when saving the basemap region on the PC. otherwise you only see the sparsely spaced basemap contours of the basemap,

or, make the basemap inactive.

Thanks to all those who responded.