Magellan Explorist 210 ... Anyone Using One?

cargodog

Hi all, I have a magellen 200 and it works fine. Probably the most accurate GPS I have ever used. I am getting tired of manual waypoint entry. So I am considering buying the Exporist 210. The reason for this choice is easy.. I already know how to use it and I already have a Gilsson neopreme case for it. I am also considering the topo CD.

My questions are...

1. Does anyone have one and how do you like it?

2. Are you using the Topo CD?

3. Does the magellan geocache manager work and if so, how easy is it to use?

4. Is the 22MB of memory adequate?

Should I consider going up a notch or two to the 400 model?

Thanks..

great little GPS. i also have several other Magellans and Garmins, so my feelings are not based on brand preference or newbie enthusiasm.

i do have and use Topo 3D, but prefer DirectRoute on the 210. the topo info takes up a lot of space for very little benefit. if you leave it off you just have an unroutable street map. for my purposes the routing is more useful.

works very smoothly, even the first time. geocaching.com downloads will open and dump to the GPS without any gymnastics.

that depends on how you feel about switching maps occasionally. i can fit the greater Chicago area, or all of Colorado with the autorouting features included. the file system makes it easy to save different map files and switch them out as needed.

Should I consider going up a notch or two to the 400 model?

for my use the 22 mb is plenty and i prefer the AA battery feature of the 210, but the 400 would certainly be a nice step up if you felt the need for more maps in hand.

As Allory implies, the available memory need is a personal determination. Many will find that the expandable memory greatly enhances the utility of the unit...multiple map files, for example, allow for autoroutes over much greater distances. Also, with the $50 rebate offered on the 400 you can pick up one for only a bit more than the 210.

You also migh want to consider stretching out your 200's service life by using this cable which will allow computer connectivity. Someone on these boards was able to use it with his unit with success (I think it was a 200 but it might have been a 100).

You also migh want to consider stretching out your 200's service life by using this cable which will allow computer connectivity. Someone on these boards was able to use it with his unit with success (I think it was a 200 but it might have been a 100).

It was a 100. Here's his first post after getting the cable kit. He makes a few more posts after that about drivers for the receiver.

Got one last week as my first Geocaching GPS and I love it, beast features, feel and contruction for the price, in my opinion and I researched a bunch of units from garmin and magellan in the same price range for a few weeks before ording one.

Nope, haven't gotten any mapping stuff yet, that comes later, cash permitting (o:

Like the guy above said, it's very smooth and very easy to use straight out of the box. Download the caches you want, jack in your gps and throw them on. It's basically that easy.

It's been plenty for me so far, but I only have the basemaps in it, like the person above said again, depends on what and how much you want to cram into it.

If your thinking about a 210 you might want to look at a 400 or 500. The prices are pretty good with the $50 rebate. I just ordered a 500 from Compuplus for $254-$50 rebate for a total of $204. Only down side was that shipping cost $19. But for the money its probably one of the best buys out there. They also have the 400 for $184 after the rebate. The 210 is around $168 so for $16 you get the option of the SD card which is well worth the price. The other place that has good prices on them is getfeetwet. There shipping was a bit cheaper.

Just my 2 cents!

My 500 arrives tomorrow!!

Kyle

Glad to help you out. For the difference in price I find it hard not to buy a 400 when compared to a 210. The cost is only a bit more and you get ulimited storage with the SD card. My 500 arrived and now I need to figure out what size card to buy. I probably will buy the 512 meg card.

Kyle