Which Gps

I am new to geocaching. I tried a couple of searches today on caches in my area that were both found by other geocachers in the past few days. But I was unable to locate them. I think the problem is I may be searching an area that is too large because I am getting incosistent readings from my Magellan 315.

As I am walking towards the cache the GPS will read (in miles) that my distance to the cache is .08... .05... .13.. .16... .04... .16... etc. I know a recent cache was in a park nearby my house, but I was standing where my GPS was reading .01 so I figured I was close. I walked about 20ft from that spot and then back to the ".01" location and now it was reading something like ".13" huh? I went about 100ft or so in the direction the GPS mow sent me, and I reached .02 (mi.) But I am now quite a distance from the old ".01" location.

Before I went out today I replaced my batteries and did the initialization of my GPS. I saw 6 strong satellites.

I am only planning on using the GPS for geocaching. So I do not need any aviation, boating or street naviation.

Is there a better, more accurate and affordable GPS available. By affordable, I don't really want to spend $250+ on something that I only do occasionally.

Thanks for any help

Mike

Hi Mike, yes the GPS 315 is suitable for geocaching but make sure you have the settings right.

Datum should be WGS84 and the lat/lon format should be DEG/MIN.MMM.

to do this press MENU select SETUP, MAP DATUM, PRIMARY,WGS84

then again from MENU select COORD SYSTEM, PRIMARY, LAT/LON, DEG/MIN>MMM.

Then you have the correct setup as recommended for the location coord as supplied on this website.

If you have a serial cable that can also make life easier for uploading coords to your GPS, no errors!

Finally check your firmware the last was Rev. 3.15, you can see what firmware as your GPS turns on. If less than 3.15 you can still get an update from the Magellan website.

Oh by the way I should have said when you get to within about 30ft put your GPS in your pocket and start looking for that place where you might have hidden it!

On re-reading your post I guess that your firmware is less than 3.15, in that case try setting your coord to UTM.

Edited by adrianjohn

Thanks adrianjohn,

You are right my firmware is out-of-date. The rev on my Megellen is 3.07. I will go to the Magellan website and and see what it takes to upgrade. I do not recall any cables, nor do I see how to even connect one, but I will research it.

My DATUMs and COORD setting were correct, but I will try UTM until I get a firmware upgrade.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Edited by TheMossFamily

I use a magellen 315 for geocaching. I find it tends to "boomerang" when approaching a cache. I.E. if we approach a cache going from east to west the numbers increase. If I stop and wait for a minute or so and give the GPS time to settle the numbers drop - basically as I'm walking the GPS tells me I am slightly further on than I really am, until I give it time to settle. The older rev of the firmware probably doesn't help you either. Once you get the firmware upgraded try give the GPS a chance to settle as you approach the location of the cache. I change to the screen that give the actual long/lat readings as we get close.

I've had the 315 for a couple of years and it's a great accurate GPS for the price. I've used it to find 4x4 lakes for fishing, for snowmobiling and geocaching. The only reason I'd upgrade it is to get a GPS with colour and topomaps.