Mapsend Directroute Wants A Different Data Disk

yitbos

My father had a SportTrak Pro GPS unit and the Magellan MapSend DirectRoute software. His GPS has stopped working and for Christmas he gave me an explorist 500 and his MapSend DirectRoute software.

I just installed the software on my computer using a full install instead of the typical so it would work faster. When I try and run the program, either from the CD when I insert it in the computer, or from the start menu, it tells me the following.

“There is no appropriate MapSend DirectRoute NA CD-ROM in drive E:\

Insert CD labeled Data_DRNA_100a and press retry to continue or press cancel to exit.

This is original MapSend DirectRoute software from NavTech, not a copy. Disk 1 says Install software version 1.00a (CD Part number 500145 Disk 1 and disk 2 says North American Map Data Version 1.00a, CD part number 500145 Disk 2

Neither say what the warning box is asking. I have two cd drives on my computer, so I tried running the program from the other drive and it always pops up with the same warning listing the E drive as the one that needs the software. I’m at a complete loss and can’t get anything to work beyond this point. Could someone tell me what the next step is or why this might be happening?

Thanks,

John

Looks like I found the problem. There is a conflict with Windows XP for this software if you have SP2 installed. There is a patch on the Magellan GPS website and after installing that I was able to run the program. Evidently the conflict is with how it identifies the CD name for the software.

Now I'm trying to learn how to make it save maps and provide driving directions. I've read that you can only save in 64M segments. Is that correct? I thought with a 1gig card in the unit that I could copy the entire US map and just put it in there? That wont work though?

Thanks,

John

ALthough there is an edit you can do to the mapsend.ini file for larger file sizes, I don't recommend it because they become unreliable and prone to corruption...it's best to stick to the 64mb limit. Compile times also drastically increase for large files, and they are much more difficult to search for addresses, POIs and such.

With the compile time differences, you'll probably come out ahead doing it 64mb by 64mb file.

I'm having the same sort of problem with my new MapSend Topo 3D USA wh ich came with my E600. There appears, however, to be no patch available for this product! It is also unacceptable to me that a company would ship software with a product where there is a known incompatibility to such a widely used OS as Windows XP! And, it is more outrageous that they wouldn't even add a note to a patch or other solution! At these prices, why should I have to spend hours of frustration and more hours slogging through third-party forums to find out what is going on? I spent a lot of time selecting this unit, and am gravely disappointed. That is my rant. :D

Silverquill; if you're having a problem with installation, you may be a victim of a bad batch of CDs from the publisher. If so, contact Magellan for replacement.

dihappy; if you were able to run the program formerly but can't now, you may be victim of DirectRoute's resource demands. Try closing a few background programs (especially virus-scanning software) to see if you can run DR again.