Tb Feature Request

ChapterhouseInc

on a note log for a TB, have the additional waypoint section. thus when the football helmet i found wants to visit football fields, i have a place to put the coords, and it could be counted in the distance total (of course there were pics too).

it would be awsome if TBs could also visit waymarks--many TBs will/are seek(ing) them and the distance inclusion would be simpl[er].

see this TB:

chief scout

I had suggested that before but with a different application. There are many times where I hand off a TB from me to another cacher. We meet at some parking lot near a major interstate intersection. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to use a cache to designate handing a bug to another cacher, but rather to just use the coordiantes of the handoff?

For example, Web-ling came in to the area recently to find my APE cache, and I could have met him at N 41° 30.564 W 088° 12.150 to hand off some travel bugs in my possession rather than going down to the cache. Now I *COULD* use Head Down to the River by Stunod (GCPGP7), which is only 467 feet from that parking lot, to show the movement, but if I was just in the parking lot and not at the actual cache, I didn't actually go there to hand off the bugs. This is where being able to key in a handoff or visitation set of coordiantes might be handy. This was my original suggestion.

However, two things came to light after that:

c5826366-bbf2-4382-a2ed-4658b4bc3a2d.jpg

The errors of people not getting the coordinates correct. If it were free form, there's no way to check if it's correct. Those coordinates could be in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, and really mess up the mileage.

de6e30d7-701b-488f-9be0-daff77d1b4ba.jpg

That's not really what Travel Bugs are SUPPOSED to do. Travel Bugs are supposed to travel from cache to person to cache to person to cache, etc. That's the whole idea. While it's neat to hand them off and be able to use a location, or also neat to be able to show when it meets its goal and where it did that, that's not what the GEOCACHING.COM travel bug is for.

So my suggestion would be that when a bug makes it to a goal like a football stadium, write the coordiantes in the log, but log the bug in and out of the nearest cache to accumulate miles. It's not EXACTLY the same, but I think the limitations make everything better in the long run.

I don't see a problem with being able to list a coord just like it is with cache logs, but if it is purely informational, put it in comments.

But if it was part of the mileage? Then it just opens it up to walk away from being part of geocaching.

However, that doesn't mean that there isn't an opportunity for someone to start another website for such type of tracking that doesn't (necessarily) have anything to do with geocaching, just traveling. (hint, hint, Groundspeak)

Edited by BlueDeuce