Looking For Some Stats

kayakingphotos

On the front page of the benchmark hunting section is says "Overall, 72587 benchmarks have been recovered in 100217 logs. There are 736425 total benchmarks in the database."

Does anybody have any informaiton on how many of the benchmarks that have been "recovered" are of each type of log (found it, not found, destroyed, post a note)?

Also, has anybody looked into how many of the "found it" logs are in error? I have found about 11 logs that have photos that prove that the person logged the mark in error. Most of these are disks, but there is one intersection station that the person logged it as "found" and then submitted a log to NGS where they officially "destroyed" the mark.

Patrick

kayakingphotos -

I don't have the answer(s), but I assume that the word "recovered" on the benchmark hunting page has the same meaning that it has everywhere else in benchmark hunting which is "found". I think member ROGBARN probably has the official answer.

I agree with you - lots of "found" logs are in error. I have not been keeping track, but I would guess about three percent of found marks are wrong. Personally, I have come across several dozen (mostly intersection stations) that others have "found" and I have found to be "destroyed".

And, I think, once a mark has been logged as "found" it remains "found" in the stats, even when subsequently disproved and logged as "not found" or "destroyed" by other, more accurate benchmark hunters.

Will

kayakingphotos -

On your question #1, I think only Groundspeak can do that. Many PIDs have multiple logs, sometimes of different kinds. You can find that information, but only for your own logs.

On your question #2, I'd say that 3% to 5% are in error. Some PIDs have a huge number of erroneous logs, like MT WASH. I have noticed a correlation between the number of erroneous logs on problematic PIDs and their proximity to a popular geocache. The most common erroneous found logs happen when a reference mark or a non-NGS mark are reported as the find.

I would judge the misfound rate at 5%-6%. I've been going through state by state now, looking for new agencies, and have posted 25 notes or so correcting stations people have messed up.

Typically, it's for a SCALED station, where they assume the disc is right at the coordinates, and they either find another nearby unrelated or reference disc and claim it, or much more rarely they just claim a found without finding anything.

I know ya'll and I knock the USPSQD for bad logs, but here's a very interesting one in Florida, AF3312 C 167, that a Geocacher (20 Geocaches found, 3 benchmarks) logged. The picture of the disc they found is actually AF3314 EMERSON RM 5, which the USPSQD was unable to find in 1988 and 1989. C 167 is SCALED, but it's 0.7 mi from EMERSON RM 5 (ADJUSTED), so the Geocacher was really off.

Edited by BuckBrooke