Interactive Mapping

Eaglehaslanded

Today at work I was checking the interactive mapping links on our website portal. I was trying out some of the features on some of the sites. For you guys up in NOVA you might want to check out Prince William County Interactive mapping website. http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=040031000020002212

Click on the Interactive Mapper- the interactive mapper will open

On the left side is the layers legend- there is a layer for Monuments-Click both the visible and active layer- then click apply changes. Ablack target will mark the spot of the monument.

To zoom in on the monument left click and hold to draw the zoom-in box. Then let it go and the map will zoom in on that location. Zoom in a couple of times.

Then at the top you will see a button with the letter I. This is to idenify the feature. Click this button and then click on the target.Then on the right side of the screen will pop-up a short description of the monument. At the bottom will say Click to open monument description.

The data sheet for that monument will open. Whats cool is there is a picture of the location of the monument.

This site might be helpful for the Waymarking.com site

Brian

Hi, Brian:

Interesting find!

Chatham County, North Carolina, has the same layer option (Control Monuments), and produces a red triangle for benchmarks. But clicking "I" displays the parcel's property card, instead of monument information. Also, the "registration" is not perfect. The monument might appear in the center of a road, when it actually is on the shoulder.

Nevertheless, it still is useful. Zooming in gives the name of the monument, and it is helpful to get the relationship of a target to nearby monuments or other landmarks. The selection included in the county map seems to be from the NGS database of a few years ago, and might have been based upon the CD's which no longer are issued. Hence, it closely matches what appears on GEOCACHING.COM.

-Paul-

Eaglehaslanded -

I tried the site and it worked well. I like the way they have presented the location information in 4 ways:

- coordinates

- to-reach description

- 'distant' photograph

- location drawing

The layout showing the first 3 of those, all on one page, is excellent.

There are only 17 stations listed; I guess that's all that PW County has commissioned. Not including any NGS stations at all seems just a bit odd.

I wish I could find such a site for Fairfax County.

These Prince William County geodetic marks would indeed be fair game for Waymarking and logging on the Recovered US Benchmarks site. I have waymarked a couple of Arlington County benchmarks on there already. Arlington has an interesting benchmark location site as well.

Many state, county, and city benchmark sites are on the internet now and Zhanna's Surveymark site has a large number of them listed. (Click on "Projects", then "Local Control Monument Databases".) Like the Arlington site, most of them have both NGS and non-NGS marks listed.

An internet challenge:

if anyone can find any more of these local benchmark sites, send them to Zhanna!.