Upload Map Data To Garmin Etrex

muninn99

Hi! This is my first post to the forums. I had hoped to search the forums for my answer, as it is such a basic question, but I must say that I am disappointed in the search feature! So, I apologize for asking something probably already addressed in here somewhere.

I have a Garmin etrex - I'll upgrade if geocaching becomes addictive - and just want to upload simple, line maps as referents for my waypoints. I would also like to upload geocache waypoints from geocaching.com. The Garmin website was woefully unhelpful. I am not interested in the closest McDonald's! :anicute:

Additionally, since I'm new to this and am not interested in the best of the best, I was hoping to find shareware or freeware, if available.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for addressing my newbie question!

Teresa

Which Garmin Etrex do you have? The Etrex line starts from the basic Etrex (yellow) all the way through Etrex Venture, Legend, and Vista (several Vista models available).

If you have the basic Etrex (yellow), then mapping functions are not available to you. If you have a Venture, you have very limited mapping functions (points of interest only, no roads). If you have Legend or higher, you have road mapping capability.

However, with all Etrex units, you do have the ability of loading waypoints from GC if you have the computer cable (serial type for GPSrs, so if you do not have a serial port as is the case with most newer laptops, then you will need a serial-to-USB adapter). You can go to the cache search results, check to download a .loc file (I believe these are available to non-premium members, if I remember correctly). Then, use a program such as EasyGPS to open the file, edit your waypoints, and upload them to your GPSr.

Hope this helps.

With a Venture, then (from the manual), you are limited to "Points of Interest" that you can upload from a purchased Mapsource Points of Interest software. You can build a planned route with roads, but it is rather labor intensive; you would have to determine coordinates between road interesections, make those waypoints, and then make a route in between them. You could upload the waypoints with something like EasyGPS, then with your Venture make a route from those waypoints, and the "route" would include the "roads" between intersections.

Whew, I did that once, and it was the last time I did it. Luckily, I just snagged a mapping capable GPSr from a friend for $50. :anicute: I will probably still use my Garmin Venture on the actual hunt after parking, though, since it is a great little unit that I trust.