Category Proposal - Abandonded Train Tunnels

As I was out searching for a few of the subject places yesterday, I wondered if someone had started this one already. I couldnt find such.

I'd like to propose an abandonded train tunnels category, perhaps under the places / ruins section.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make it a little more general and just have an abandonded tunnels section ?

Comments?

I think it would be really cool to explore abandoned train tunnels.

After thinking about it for a while, I'm thinking this might be a dangerous category because someone is bound to add a waymark for a tunnel that really isn't abandoned, which could put somebody in harm's way.

Just a few thoughts:

Naturally, it would have to be no longer active, for it to be abandoned. :ninja: I would think, that if someone were to add a listing that was still active, someone else would help by "calling them out" on it. Also, I have managed to find (on the web) many listings of abandoned railroad structures, and verifying the status (without actually visiting) may be possible in many cases.

I would be more than happy to manage this category.

Maybe I need to use my spell-check more often. :ninja:

I hope the TPTB would consider adding this. I have to admit, I wasnt too excited about the Waymarking concept when I first learned of it. But, after having a look around, and having come up with this idea, I've come to see the light. (and hopefully that light isnt a train in the tunnel).

Edited by Crystal Sound

Hi Sound Crystal,

Just a thought. Many old railbeds have, are and will be converted to rail trails. Could this category include the many tunnels that are on these trails? They aren't totally abandoned but they have been abandoned by the railroad.

Yes, by abandoned, I mean by railroad use. Tunnels that are on a rails-trails path would be perfectly fine.