Trouble Transferring From Easygps To Garmin Legend

Newbie here. Hope this is the right forum to bring up my problem. Here it is and hoping someone can help as I can't seem to get a response from EasyGPS:

I downloaded EasyGPS to my computer. When transferring the cache info to my GPS, it comes back with an Error #23 - This program received data it could not understand. After reporting the error to the tech support at EasyGPS, they told me to change my file preference from Garmin - Etrex Legend to Garmin - GSPMAP 60CS. I did this but still the same error message when transferring. I let them know that it didn't work, but still have not received any other response. I did the EasyGPS test for the serial connection and it did not locate any problems.

Can someone help me, or maybe give me what my GSP settings should be (interface, serial data format). I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jeanette :ph34r:

Jeanette, when you first open EasyGPS, go to File/Preferences/My GPS Receivers/Add GPS/GArmin/eTrex Legend/OK.

Once you have set the preferences to your Legend, EasyGPS should send your waypoints (.loc files) via the serial connection, assuming your Legend uses a serial port like my old Legend.

Hope this gets you going.

Jeanette, when you first open EasyGPS, go to File/Preferences/My GPS Receivers/Add GPS/GArmin/eTrex Legend/OK.

Once you have set the preferences to your Legend, EasyGPS should send your waypoints (.loc files) via the serial connection, assuming your Legend uses a serial port like my old Legend.

Hope this gets you going.

I did as you said, but still get the error message. What now?

Also, you may want to see if you have both a serial and a USB cable plugged in. Apparently, USB can interfere with serial. Who knew? (Oh. robertlipe did. Figures.)

Hi Sputnik,

I have the GPS plugged into the back of my computer with a serial cable. On the front of my computer I have a camera docking station and my printer plugged into the USB ports. Do these 2 things need to be unplugged?

Jeanette

Is this really a Legend (serial only) or a Legend C (usb only)?

either way, the answer that Sputnik linked to wouldn't apply as only the 60C and 76C families have _both_ serial and USB. (Those are the ones where the serial keels over once the USB is enumerated.)

If unit == Legend, the advice to select Garmin 60 in the setup seems wrong and the thing about plugging in both kinds of cables is a non-issue since that unit doesn't _have_ both kinda of cables. I'd treat this as a "remove your PDA hotsync program" problem.

Does anything besides EasyGPS have problems talking to the unit?

either way, the answer that Sputnik linked to wouldn't apply as only the 60C and 76C families have _both_ serial and USB. (Those are the ones where the serial keels over once the USB is enumerated.)

If unit == Legend, the advice to select Garmin 60 in the setup seems wrong and the thing about plugging in both kinds of cables is a non-issue since that unit doesn't _have_ both kinda of cables. I'd treat this as a "remove your PDA hotsync program" problem.

Does anything besides EasyGPS have problems talking to the unit?

It is a Legend (serial only).

What is a PDA hotsycnch and if I have one, how do I remove it?

I haven't had anything else talk to the unit besides EasyGPS. Should I try something else?

Could I have my settings wrong (interface, serial format) on my GPS? Could you tell me what they should be?

Jeanette

You'll want the Legend set for Garmin Protocol. Speed should be 9600 baud, but usually you can't change that, if you have Garmin protocol selected.

EasyGPS - make sure you are set to the correct com port (usually COM 1).

If you dont have a Palm or PDA device, you likely dont have hotsync on your machine, or enabled. (But it is possible.)

You'll want the Legend set for Garmin Protocol. Speed should be 9600 baud, but usually you can't change that, if you have Garmin protocol selected.

EasyGPS - make sure you are set to the correct com port (usually COM 1).

If you dont have a Palm or PDA device, you likely dont have hotsync on your machine, or enabled. (But it is possible.)

EasyGPS says COM1, Speed 9600

My Legend interface is set on GARMIN (for Serial Data Format). Is this the same as Garmin Protocol?

Are those speeds compatible with each other or does it matter?

And I don't think I have a palm or PDA device.

I just tried to transfer and for some reason I got one to transfer to my GPS. But tried another one and now get this message.

A GPS error occurred. No data was received from the GPS. Error #22

(Mind you, I made sure I hit transfer, not receive)

Boy, this is frustrating.

Sorry for the bum steer. I misread the linked post to mean that rl had serial and usb plugged in to the PC, not into the GPSr.

Jeanette, what version of Windows are your running?

either way, the answer that Sputnik linked to wouldn't apply as only the 60C and 76C families have _both_ serial and USB.  (Those are the ones where the serial keels over once the USB is enumerated.)

Sorry for the bum steer. I misread the linked post to mean that rl had serial and usb plugged in to the PC, not into the GPSr.

Jeanette, what version of Windows are your running?

I'm running Windows ME.

:D:bad:

Just wanted to add one if anyone else is reading this, I was having so much trouble, being a man and all and not reading directions. well I saw this forum and started reading through it and found out what to do. I have the Etrex legend with a serial but bought an adaptor to change it to USB, well the one above this states you have to be in the find box and have waypoint highlighted to download. Thanks would have never figured that out...Off on my way now. Thanks all