Survey Marks Other Than Usgs, States Specifically.

Warrior5B

I apologize for the delay. It has been a very busy week or so. Anyway, the marks are State of Hawaii Department of Transportation Survey Marks. Both marks are on Oahu. One is at Honolulu International Airport (PHNL) and the other is on top of a small hot spot near Diamond Head. The HNL mark is Hawaii DOT Airports Division and the other is Highways Division. Those other routes have proven fruitless to this point.

Then there's a pretty good chance you can't log them here. As you read in the "Can't find your benchmark" section, most of the survey markers out there in the wild are not included in the Geocaching.com database.

Most people find it more productive, if you're looking for benchmarks to log, is to start with some of the ones that are in the database, and then go out and try to find them, rather than starting with a benchmark you've found, and then seeing if it's loggable.

Thanks for writing from paradise!

-ArtMan-

The thing is that these "other" benchmarks are not something that I'm looking for. It simply seems that Oahu is flush with reference marks. As an example, the day after my last post I found six more unlisted marks while walking from work to meet my wife a few blocks away. Two of those marks were within 4 feet of each other. These marks are unavoidably "there" as it were. I have occasionally had my GPS with me and marked there locations. When I don't have my GPS with me I just remember where I saw it and approximate the search when I'm at a computer later. By approximate I really mean plot it on a map at home, enter it into my GPS using the MGRS grid from the map and then convert it to geographic grid. I have found several State of Hawai`i survey marks in the geocaching.com database but a significant number are obviously missing.