Stretching The Life Of Li-ion

embra

I just saw a mention in Fred Langa's Langalist (a nice source of information for managing a range of stuff related to computing) a reference to a web page about Li-Ion batteries.

The page had some interesting background information about how Li-Ion differs from other types of batteries. The thing that stood out the most was their recommendation to store batteries at one-third full charge...storing completely charged or discharged was declared a good way to shorten charging capacity and/or service life.

I'm not too sure who these guys are, and therefore the veracity of their advice. They sound like they know what they're talking about, but I would be glad for anyone who could support or dispute their claims.

If not challenged, I don't think this would affect my explorist use because I can replace the battery so cheaply (though it would change the way I keep the backups on hand). I do think I will pay more attention to my Quest's battery, which is not user-replaceable.

Sounds like they say 3 years is the life of a LiIon battery pack. I have an extended cell phone battery for over 2 years and it still works well.....but I use it every day and charge it every day. It sounds like this is the best use of this type of battery....regular use and recharging.

I have NiMH and Nicad battery packs for handheld tranceivers. The NiMH has more capacity, but the Nicad provides more current, which is what you need when you are transmitting 5 watts. They seem to live for about 4-5 years until they die. My experience with AA NiMH cells is worse, lasting about 2-3 years.

I store my extra cell battery fully charged and my extra eXplorist battery fully charged because that is how I want them if I need them. I have been able to buy each of them real cheap on ebay.

Yesterday I received a replacement usb-cable for my eXplorist. I have tried to fully charge the original battery. When the unit indicates that it is charged the battery indicator gives me the impression that it is loaded for eigth/tenth of the full capacity. The battery indicator is green for eight/tenth of its length. It has been doing this since I charged it for the first time. Now I am wondering if this is normal?

Or did I damage the battery when I was so stubborn to start the GPS while loading it for the first time? When I received the new GPSr I couldn't wait for 3 or 4 hours for the battery to be fully charged so I used it while connected to the charging unit. I might be 38 but inside there is still a little boy eager to play with its new toy.

Regards,

Arjen :ph34r:

Edited by arie1