Category Proposal: Center Of Population Monuments

I would like to encourage clubs in each state to highlight The Center of Population monument in their state by using the monument coordinates as a cache location and/or a Waymark. Because of the openess required by the NOS, manyof the locations will not be suitable for a cache container, but all locations should allow an offset cache container with a log. Thus far, I have found that four states have caches associated with their monuments, but the collection of states that have monuments would make a great Waymark category. This is an interesting program that is going on across our country, and finding these monuments can be both fun and educational.

I would like to suggest that we call these the "Where Is Everybody?" series and I have initiated the series with: Where Is Everybody In Tennessee?

The Center of Population Project

In a project co-sponsored by NOAA's National Ocean Service (NOS), the Census Bureau, and the American Congress on Surveying and Mapping (ACSM), many states are in the process of officially monumenting their Year 2000 Center of Population by setting commemorative markers. Most recently, Missouri, New Jersey and Washington have set and performed GPS observations of their 2000 Census Center of Population monuments. A number of states have now set such markers. In a cooperative effort, the Census Bureau provides the location of the state population centers, and NOS provides the guidelines for placement of the marker. ACSM coordinates the monument setting and observation performed by state professional surveyors. This is an excellent example of what collaboration between the private sector and Federal, state and local governement surveying and mapping professionals can achieve. It is expected that all state Center of Population sites will be included in NOAA's National Spatial Reference System, which will allow surveyors and others to utilize the markers.

For additional information about The Center of Population Project, and "Where is Everybody?" for other states go to: Center Of Population Project

Happy trails,

Firestone