Holux Gpslim 236+navigator Ii+pocketphone

Team Dutch

While I was looking for a GPS solution for driving around in the car I also stumbled into geocaching.com. While the Delorme atlas 2006 handheld is not designed to do geocaching I found VitoNavigator II 1.3 that does the trick.

As a GPS I use the Holux 236 with Sirf III bluetooth and a Siemens SX66 pocketphone.

This combination let me do geocaching and I reached an accuracy generaly between 12 and 32 feet, it is fun to do, people are looking at me puzzled tough , they have no clue I'm using a GPS in a Phone.

Anyone else try to do this an use pocketpc for geocaching, what software are you using?

Blips aka I'm Dutch

Edited by blips

I have a similar combo, but I mostly use it for hiking, not geocaching, so I can't really comment. I've ended up scanning my hiking map as none of the available topo maps were recent enough to have correct hiking detail (some topo alternatives: memory-map outdoor navigator, mapadvisor, delorme topo with SAHH, NatGeo pocketwhatever).

I'm sure you will get recommendations for the usual suspects as well, such as GPS Tuner, GpxView, GPXSonar, BeelineGPS, GPSDash, etc.

Oh, btw, did you know that the Holux 236 has WAAS support, that you can turn on with their GPSview utility? I haven't done any testing with the Holux, but it should improve accuracy in most cases.

Thanks for the great tips

BeelineGPS looks like a good candidate to try, it has more functions then VitoNavigator and can use GPX files too.

I used the HOLUX GPSview utility to switch on WAAS, how can I check it is switched on? If I start it up a second time the box is unchecked again.

Blips