60c Autorouting Unavailable

Hello all,

I jut purchesed a 60C as my first GPS unit and was trying to autoroute a short trip. I can set the waypoints on Mapsource but it does not follow any roads just gives me a strait line. I tried the "use autoroute caculation data" check box on the map tab but it is greyed out?

Also in the preferencing menu I do not have a routing tab.

Anyone know why?

It sounds as if you are talking about two separate issues.

One is routing on your Mapsource software,

The other is routing on your GPS Unit.

First, what Mapping program do you have? They all say "Mapsource", but Mapsource is just the interface that allows you to use the map. It will also say "City Select", "Metroguide", "Topo USA" or something like that, and will have a version number V5, V6, etc. This is important because not all software programs are routeable, and if you have a mapping program that is not routeable, then you will not be able to load routeable maps into your unit.

The other issue is routing on your unit itself. I have a 60cs, so this should be the same. Press Menu twice and this should bring up the main menu. move the panning pad until Routing is highlighted, and press enter. The routing menu will come up, and you have several choices. Under "Guidance Method" you have three choices "Follow Road", "offroad", and "prompted" Follow road will force the unit to build routes that follow roads. Offroad will draw straight lines. Prompted will ask you every time you ask the unit to build a route.

Now, one caveat, if you do not have routeable maps in your unit, when you make it build a follow road route, it will use the basemap to route, which will sometimes give you some strange routes.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, post em up. There are many Garmin users on this site that are willing to help.

Hi. I just got a 60cs also, and had to find help here to use my geocaching mode, so you are not alone. If you do have CitySelect software, which allows you to send maps to the gpsr, there is a small box in Mapsource that must be checked. Once you have selected the map sections you want to load, at the bottom of the list of maps is a option that says Include route calculation data. This box should be checked. There is also a dropdown menu at the top (middle) that lists which map sets you have available. My 60cs came with trip and waypoint manager, which I believe does not support auto routing. If that is the only map that shows when you click on the dropdown menu, I think you are not going to be able to have auto routing capabilities on your unit. I had already installed City Select V5 from my previous gps, so I'm not really sure what the mapsource s/w supplied with the unit is capable of, as I never used it.. Based on your post, I would guess that you only have the mapsource software that came with the unit, and that probably doesn't support autorouting.

Good luck and happy hunting