All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Also dark colours deteriorate slower in the sun than pale colours. Another reason the green is better than the white containers.
  3. Some people with a LOT of finds follow a 5-minute rule: If they don't find it within 5 minutes, they log a DNF and move on. It doesn't matter what the rated difficulty of the cache is. After 5 minutes, they log a DNF and move on.
  4. How will this idea fit in with CHS notifications? Does the algorithm consider the find count of those who log DNFs? Just something to consider.
  5. Today
  6. You can always edit the Found log. Or write a Note log. Whichever you prefer.
  7. Perhaps it's not all that rare. One of mine is unreachable due to being under several cubic metres of rock when part of the cave roof came down right on top of it. I'm not strong enough to lift many of the larger pieces of rock and the area is only accessible on foot along the coastal rock shelves so I couldn't hire heavy machinery to dig it out. Another cache locally was archived when security fencing went up around GZ, again it's no longer accessible to even determine whether the cache is still there, let alone remove it. There have been other cases I've seen where the cache has been accidently dropped into a pipe or crevice from where it can't be retrieved, and I'm aware of others that have been destroyed in forest fires. I've just gone back through the last three months of archival notification emails I've received (my radius is set to 40km so it includes much of northern Sydney as well as my own area) and these are the stats: Archived by CO - 27 missing, 1 recovered by CO, 1 archived shortly after publication and resubmitted due to bad coordinates. Archived by reviewer - 41 missing, 3 decrepit containers, 1 archived after being disabled for too long due to being behind "temporary" fencing but is likely still there. Is there really that much of a problem that needs such a heavy-handed solution?
  8. Do you think that a cache owner who doesn't care enough to pick up their archived cache is going to care enough to click a button to give someone else a point of some kind rather than awarding themselves the point with a dishonest button click ? The majority of caches I'm seeing archived at the moment are either suburban micros that go missing (and were never expected to last long apparently, as the owners say they are not bothering to replace them in the archive logs) or caches belonging to folk who stopped caching ages ago and after multiple DNF's and mo maintenance are archived by a reviewer. So who gets last to find there ? With some cachers happy to claim finds on adventure lab caches they've never visited, log virtuals from afar, repeatedly dip TBs in caches to get a souvenir, and drop throwdowns to ensure every GZ has a smiley, a last to find points competition would just be something else to 'game' , encouraging short lived caches at the very least, and no doubt some Machiavellian manipulations I can't even imagine. Also remember that Groundspeak does not own the caches, they just run the website that lists them. Cache owners need to abide by the listing rules to place Groundspeak listed caches, but Groundspeak don't own any of the containers, morally or legally, and has no right to unilaterally grant permission to take the containers away.. The chances of Groundspeak thinking formalising FTFs would be anything other than a giant pain in the neck involving vast numbers of FTF disputes sent to appeals are zero. How on earth could they adjudicate it ? The other games you are ignorant of are , in some cases , absolutely identical, i.e. geocaching using a different listing site, or letterboxing which is a low tech version of geocaching and predates the GPS system by about a century. The relevance to the discussion is that there are several other equally valid reasons for placing containers, and for leaving them where they are : It's not difficult to imagine a cacher archiving their containers on Groundspeak and then listing them on one of the competitors . The personal responsibility for honesty and thoughtful behaviour in cache setting and finding is one of the things I enjoy and appreciate about caching. If I see a local cacher archiving their hides without collecting them in I get in touch and offer to collect them in if they want me to . That's my choice to offer help, and theirs to accept it or not, and to my mind, all part of being a member of a community of cachers .
  9. As a cache owner, When I get an email notification, for a DNF log specifically, I always end up checking the user's profile to see how many finds the user has to see how seriously I should take the DNF log For example if a user with 3,000 finds says my cache isn't there or that they couldn't find it I will go check on it, but if a user with 6 finds logs a DNF (and there is no pattern of previous DNFs) I would probably wait and see what the next cacher logs before going to check it. If the log notification email would list the user's number of finds under/beside their username in the alert email (just like the log section of the cache page does) it would save me some time and avoid my having to pull up their profile or pull up the cache page and look up the log there to see their find count. Just an idea.
  10. Is there a way to go back a log a TB visit to a cache after the Found log has been submitted? I overlooked it and want to make sure the visit and miles get recorded for the TB.
  11. Yes, the green ones are good, they don't need camo paint.
  12. See the Help Center article Not receiving emails from Geocaching.com
  13. True. Thankfully those cases are rare. They could leave a public note about checking the area and discovering that the location had been bulldozed and fences erected. They then contact their reviewer to have the listing officially archived.
  14. I find those tablet containers work well too, being a good sized small (bigger than the most commonly seen sistema) with a wide lid. They last years too and don't appear to leak. Better to reuse them than buy one. The dark green coloured ones are the best.
  15. I've seen caches archived because the cache location was inaccessible. Maybe it was always off-limits and the cache was placed without permission. Maybe construction started. Maybe fences were erected to protect sensitive areas. Maybe something else. But no one is allowed to return to the cache location to collect the container, not even the CO, not even the LTF.
  16. Yesterday
  17. I am not getting notifications that my caches are found?
  18. I like that you are trying to come up with a possible solution. I like this part: I would add "Have you checked to see that there is no cache container at the site and removed the physical container from the location and disposed of it thoughtfully?" This will take into account that sometimes the container is likely missing (but the area should be checked to verify). If the answer is YES, the cache is archived. If the answer is NO, the cache is disabled and a canned message says "Please check the site and remove the physical container from the location and dispose of it thoughtfully before archiving your cache." At this point the cache owner makes a decision - do the right thing, check and remove the container, then log the archive. Or the cache owner chooses to lie. Many won't lie. Some will choose NO and leave it to a reviewer to archive it. Some will do nothing and leave it to a reviewer to archive their caches. All will get the message that Groundspeak is serious about ownership guideines and expects that owners will be responsible for their container and listing from beginning to end of the process.
  19. As I was leaving the house to meet a friend for an earthcache, I started reading the page and it states that the viewing location, at a city park, is closed on Sundays. Huh? That makes no sense! Fortunately, there was another earthcache nearby and the day was saved. It was at a great location, I learned something new, and we talked about it afterwards.
  20. The point of Ceberus1's reply was that there are other geocache listing sites other than this one, and a container could be listed on both here and another one (or more). By your proposal if a CO archived his cache listing on here (perhaps because he had a disagreement with Groundspeak), then a Geocaching.com cacher would go and remove the container which is still actively listed on another site and then render the listing on the other site as missing.
  21. It takes personal responsibility and integrity to clean up after yourself without being told to, if someone doesn't have that by the age of 18 they will probably never have it. If a person were to find a way to entice someone with no personal responsibility to suddenly have it 95% of the world's problems would be solved, I too would be interested in a mechanism to suddenly make 300,000 people become responsible.
  22. Yea it was published quite quickly just a few hours after submitting, thought I may have to wait a few days. Hopefully gets its FTF soon.
  23. It's now waiting for its FTF. Well done.
  24. Nope, I didn't, and I don't see how that is relevant to this discussion. This proposal is about this game/pastime. Who knows, if it was implemented well, the other "games" that your refer to may follow our lead. Anyway the whole idea of what I propose is that there is a system whereby there isn't anything left behind in the natural environment once the cache is Archived. The "mechanics" of how to make that happen may differ from what I proposed, so long as the end result is achieved. That is; that the cache gets removed and disposed of in an environmentally friendly manner somehow. I am more than happy for others to suggest a mechanism that would work better than what I have suggested.
  25. I've never done this. I'll keep that list in mind when or if I ever run out of FPs to award. With perhaps the exception of archived caches, I suppose a WN would be appropriate?
  26. GC7B6ZB is one of my favorite virtual that I found and can only be found at low tide after a hike in the provincial park. When you asked Groundspeak to enter in the draw you should have gotten an idea of where you wanted it. Please don't archive because people didn't get your chance to create one.
  27. That's one heck of a hike to get to. Would be hard enough in summer and, having personally experienced the unpredictable (understatement) weather of the south island, it's no wonder no one has gone in there in winter. I wonder how deep the snow would be? However, it would certainly be worth the effort. Being a National Park sometimes means no containers are allowed which is why a Virtual may get by. BTW "Trampers" is kiwi speak for "hikers".
  1. Load more activity