All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. PISA-caching

Waymarking Challenge

That's right, they have two different statues of him (one in front of his former house and one on a square that is named after him) and a replica of his tombstone and probably much more, that I didn't find.
  3. Danie Viljoen

Geocaching Statistics

I am somewhat skeptical about a strong correlation between membership of Facebook caching groups and cacher longevity. I am not saying I am a typical Facebook user, but I am currently subscribed to 25 groups (mostly not caching related), of which I actively read the postings of about 5 of them.
  4. Today
  5. grimpil

Three ways to thank a geocache owner

Perhaps taking photos at/from/around a cache location that enjoys good views, interesting background features etc then uploading to the cache page is another way to show appreciation to the CO. Not only says "hey! I found this great place that I may not have discovered if I wasn't caching" but also shows future cachers why they should maybe head for that spot. As for carrying an actual camera - I find I get into conversation with other people so equipped, but not with phone camera users. Have no sense of inferiority because I use a traditional camera (usually compact zoom, sometimes DSLR). Perhaps I am old fashioned, but am one of those people who hung on to their vinyl music collection & now find myself a trendsetter. When it comes to thanking the CO I even try to say something positive about my DNFs - "great location, nice walk to here, probably me being totally doh! etc". Hiding & maintaning caches is obviously time consuming & at some cost to the CO so any acknowledgement beyond "." is perhaps a bonus.
  6. MartyBartfast

Interesting Geocache Idea

As others said, I don't think there is a fix for the fundamental issues with moving caches so I can't see them ever coming back, and that won't bother me. I have found a few but they were always in the hands of someone who was carrying them round, usually to events. The best travelling cache I ever came across was a different beast. It was in the boot (trunk) of the guy's car and would transmit it's co-ords back to his own webpage every few minutes, where they were then displayed on the cache page. If you managed to intercept the car and he was in it he would open the boot for you to log the cache, if he wasn't there he provided a mobile number on the cache page which you could text and he would come back to the car and open it for you; there were a few caveats on the cache page about when and where he wouldn't respond to the texts (e.g. between 20:00 and 07:00). Unfortunately it was archived before I managed to intercept it. This idea could work back in the very early days when there was probably only a few hundred or so cachers in the South of England and everyone played nicely together, but it would be a nightmare now with thousands of cachers and so many who are prepared to trample over their compatriots to play the game.
  7. black-tomcat

Mystery at the museum

Moin, da haben wir eine, inzwischen vielleicht auch interessante Feststellung: Ein Cache von uns (https://coord.info/GC5NG1X) ist bereits vor der Aktion auf Grund von Bauarbeiten disabled, hatte aber def. (vergl. write note eines Cachers) einen Clue. Stand heute ist der Clue raus. Es scheint also eine nachträgliche Korrektur gegeben zu haben. Gruß black-tomcat
  8. Mausebiber

souvenirs

. This what GC little helper can do for you .
  9. NYPaddleCacher

Archiving caches that have no problems

Agreed. They are also under no obligation to continue playing the game (by keeping the cache listings active), explain to anyone why they are choosing to stop playing, or should be chastized simply because they have decided to do something else.
  10. DerDiedler

Archiving caches that have no problems

I think there´s absolutely nothing wrong with archiving intact caches. There are several good enough reasons to do so. Owners sometimes might have new ideas and make space for them. After a couple of years only tiring c/p log´s from random bypassers get anoying and the owner wants to get rid of them Loosing interest in the game an choose to archive before they fall abandoned and rott in the wild Noticing an impact on the surroundings Getting negative feedback from neighbours Having to much work to keep theyre owned caches in perfekt shape Getting sick of disrespectfull handling by cachers Finding a cache outdated Want to give the local community some fresh caches in the cache packed area ...... ....and many more. I like a fresh breese there and then better than never letting go a old thing. Letting a cache live on just for the sake of letting it live on is not worth it.
  11. BlueRajah

Multiple types of earthcaches?

One catch with a fee, is it a government run, charity, or a for profit business. The latter can pose a problem if it is a fee as it is purely commercial.
  12. Max and 99

ISS Passes June and July 2019

Our waymark is just waiting for confirmation from Spain.
  13. Is the profile edit issue within wayfrog's purview?
  14. Danie Viljoen

Geocaching Statistics

Two problems with this: I am not a member of all the Geocaching Facebook pages I do not know of a way to retrospectively determine the number of members at any past date.
  15. barefootjeff

I nearly always have a camera with me, usually just the camera in the phone but if I'm expecting some interesting scenery I'll lug along the DSLR as well. I take photos of anything memorable along the way, as well as around GZ, so that when I get home to write up my log, I can use the photos to jog my memory as well as attach the best of them. After all, don't they say a picture paints a thousand words?
  16. K13

As a man-of-many-talents with a black jumpsuit and hood, my travel costs are $0.75/mile from home, with a minimum departure fee of $300.00, with other fees negotiable based on the target in question and the tool of the trade needed for the 'find'.
  17. JL_HSTRE

I've taken to carrying a small (5x7) spiral notebook with me in the field. It fits nicely in a jacket, cargo, or back pocket and a pen with a decent clip fits in the spiral giving me a backup cache signing utensil. I can track my finds/DNFs/NMs, plan my targets ahead, write down EC/VC answers, and make shorthand memory-jogging notes for writing logs back home.
  18. The BIG question is , will you remove the credit for the advanced finds, or will you allow those to stand. I'm sure that many have, and are counting on, these "unearned" credits. How will this work out? Does it really matter?
  19. Keystone

He's saying that Reviewers could pre-approve the boundaries of a polygon, in which the cache could freely move. The boundaries would need to steer clear of railroad tracks, airports, dams, highway bridges, schools, government buildings, military installations, hospitals, private residential properties, and any parks/forests/preserves that are covered by a published land manager permission policy. So, the reviewer would only have to do the review once, but it would be for a big area - not for a single set of coordinates. I think that $100 would be a reasonable fee for this. Of course, post-publication, there will be squabbles, misunderstandings and disputes of the types chronicled above. Reviewers could be called upon to moderate those situations, for an Umpire Fee of $25 per incident (payable by the party at fault/in the wrong). Once the cache owner has paid all the Reviewer fees, there is still the matter of funding the "self destruct" feature built into the nano, or the "send an electric shock to the smartphone/send a team of ninjas to the GPS user" feature, should the mechanical and electrical engineering considerations of the self-destructing nano prove insurmountable. I do not know the cost accounting for this.
  20. elyob

Max and 99, my waymark-in-the-making is WM10ZF8. 8Nuts MotherGoose, I hope to see you out there tomorrow night.
  21. 8Nuts MotherGoose

That works for me, Partner. I'm still looking for another partner in France / Spain that can wake up early and observe the ISS around 4:45 am on July 18.
  22. K13

So you expect these Volunteers to be available 24/7/365 to monitor the traveling cache? I am happy when my reviewer can approve a new cache placement in a couple days. You are expecting way too much from the Reviewers.
  23. 8Nuts MotherGoose

I saw it. Spotted it at WNW just before Max altitude at NW. Watched it fad in and out of haze until Due North. Then it disappeared. I couldn't see any stars below 45°.
  24. cerberus1

Yep. The other 2/3rds didn't want anything to do with them after being yelled at (at an event), by a bunch who thought she should have waited until more folks could stop by and log it first. Like anyone knew "they" were on the way, the next day. I asked a simple " what time would have been good for you ?" and some actually left, ticked off. Over a cache... Just read the logs on many "This was just placed on Sunday. I stopped here on Wednesday and some jerk took it already!" and similar was tame in comparison.
  25. Goldenwattle

souvenirs

Thanks, I didn't know the public view and private were different. It would still be good to be able to sort them.
  26. Mineral2

Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

It's not worthless. Those four data fields are the same size as all of the other dashboards, which is what Garmin was going for - a uniform dashboard that can be filled with different design for different purposes. Honestly, just give it a try before dismissing it as worthless. The dashboard leaves enough map to still be useful, especially now that the screen size and resolution have been increased.
  27. vulture1957

I missed it!
  1. Load more activity