All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Max and 99

Waymarking.com invites

Gah! Can you please explain that in simpler terms? What would the waymark be? You have to choose one of over 1,000 categories. IF I understand your question correctly: I can't see why you couldn't mention the waymark on the geocache page since there are even geocaching challenge caches that are all about finding waymarks. You don't have any waymarks created just yet, though. Sorry-trying to understand.
  3. Max and 99

ISS Passes May 2019

I stand corrected.
  4. Max and 99

ISS Passes May 2019

That is totally understandable!
  5. arisoft

Email SMS Notification reception delayed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting Now you have
  6. arisoft

Just interesting

You can always send the email from the recipient's profile page if you don't trust the easy way. These are private messages. You can't delete your sent email either. This is correct, but in this case the easy fix is to use the real address instead of the unnecessary secondary address as you have done.
  7. -CJ-

Didn't have a pen.

Thank you all who quoted that hockey piece :)
  8. rapotek

Cache Quality Survey results

Maybe I was lucky but I did seen any "armchair OM logs", while caches with no owner response for even a few Needs Maintenance logs are more common here, unfortunately. And a broken cache being "virtually" maintained is as bad for me as a cache in good state being archived by reviewer for no response from owner on Needs Maintenance logs.
  9. Bonnie et clyde 85

Problème création cache

oui je pense !!
  10. PISA-caching

ISS Passes May 2019

I'm a little confused now (as if I hadn't been confused when reading the category description). You say that a photo of the GPS is no longer required. I have downloaded the image of the ground track that I saw on heavens-above.com. But why do you say, that only one observed it? Alfouine saw it in France and I saw it in Vienna, Austria. Alfouine was kind enough to send me the data of the ISS's appearance in Vienna. He said that he saw it and I also saw it. So, what exactly is the problem?
  11. Today
  12. Keystone

This likely summarizes the reviewers' practices where you live, but there is a fair amount of discretion given to Community Volunteer Reviewers to tailor their cache maintenance guideline monitoring activities according to the circumstances of their local communities. The Alaska reviewer is likely to be less aggressive with maintenance notes in January vs. the Australian reviewers, who are likely to act consistently throughout the year. In 2003 it was likely that I would archive a clearly missing cache, or a cache that had been temporarily disabled for many months, immediately upon becoming aware of the situation. That evolved into giving the CO two weeks' notice prior to archiving. That timeframe grew to three weeks, and a few years ago I extended it to four weeks. The four weeks begin when I become aware of the issue and post a log to the cache page. I do not wait four weeks before reacting to a "Needs Archived" log. It would be unusual for me to not decision those logs within four days or so. In addition, in recent years I've been posting responses to nearly all "Needs Archived" logs: when I don't take any action, I indicate that the log should be treated as a DNF log or a Needs Maintenance log, as applicable. Those logs let the person submitting the NA know that their request received attention, and they let the cache owner know when to worry & take action, and when not to worry as much. So, over the years, I've become more forgiving of cache owners, while at the same time catching many more situations where maintenance is needed, due to the improvements in the tools provided to me for this task.
  13. dprovan

Which is cause and which is effect? As it gets harder and harder to meet the high expectations of "cache quality" currently being advocated, it gets easier and easier to decide to just throw out a line of caches for which quality isn't a consideration. The current "cache quality" effort is, nevertheless, pushing in the direction of quicker CO responses. When you post your pictures of trashed caches, what are you saying other than "the CO should have fixed this before I got there to see this"?
  14. PISA-caching

ISS Passes May 2019

I was on the flat roof of our apartment building at 22:48 local time. About 1-2 minutes later I saw the ISS and watched it until around 22:56. I was at around N48 13.2 E16 18.9 (I have the exact coordinates, but don't want to post the exact coordinates of where I live).
  15. L0ne.R

I don't think the guidelines have changed regarding how much time a CO is allowed. In fact the Help Center keeps it fairly loosey-goosey. The language in the Help Center reflects no urgency, just a general instruction to perform maintenance and keep the reviewer informed about when performance is expected to be performed. In practice, it's been 4 weeks, and that's usually after months of DNFs or NMs. Followed by an NA, followed 4 weeks later by a reviewer note, followed 4 weeks later by a reviewer TD, followed 4 weeks later by a reviewer archive when there's been no response to the weeks/months alerts sent by finders and the reviewer. That's the normal sequence of events and hasn't changed since the implementation of NM and NA tools. Probably hasn't changed since reviewers were recruited to archive caches. The usual amount of time an unresponsive owner has is usually 12 weeks (3 months) after an NA is posted. I've seen responsive owners lengthen the process by an extra 4 weeks to an extra 6 months to the process, depending on reasons give for not being able to maintain their cache.
  16. PISA-caching

ISS Passes May 2019

Yes, I would be able to do that. Although I wouldn't consider that to be a proof. I could change date/time to whatever I want and pretend that I was there at the right time.
  17. bdp

Found date incorrect in GPX file

The Groundspeak time/date is in UTC or basically GMT. So depending on which app was used to log the cache you could end up on a different date. Here in PST anything logged after 5 pm (depending on the time of the year) via the APP used to (and I believe still does) show being logged the next day.
  18. niraD

I haven't heard the term greylisting used. Adding an intentional delay is often called throttling and is a technique to used to limit the amount of network bandwidth based upon exceeding a threshhold. Yeah, when I've heard the term "greylisting" used, it has been for email sources that are considered suspect enough that the email shouldn't go in the regular inbox, but not so suspect that the email should be rejected. In contrast, "blacklisting" blocks an email source entirely, and "whitelisting" forces email from a source to go into the regular inbox automatically (regardless of how suspect the content might appear).
  19. on4bam

I've seen greylisting in the deliverylogs of my mailserver. It happens most of the time when sending to one certain recipient but not to others who have the same ISP. Sometimes the message is delivered a few seconds later, other times it takes hours or not at all. The problem is that, unlike mails that are refused or can't be delivered there's no "deliverable" mail or other error. I tracked the greylisted problems to one mailserver of the ISP, the other never throws greylisting messages.
  20. There are bugs in the presentation of the "map" this bookmark list. I have a simple bookmark list -- it contains only 11 caches. I use the "map" option on the bookmark list page. The new "map" lists only 10 of the 11 maps. (I do this multiple times with the same results). I then try to figure out *which* cache is missing. *BUG #1* - when your bookmark lists are mapped -- you *cannot* change the sort order in the cache listing on the left. It's grayed out. If I refresh the *search* on this map -- I can then *sort* my listed caches *BUG #2* - Unless I missed it -- I can't sort a list alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically) -- this makes it difficult to *compare* lists or to quickly locate a cache in a list when you know what the number is -- or quickly find the caches that all start with X or Q or Z *BUG #3* - Back to my 10 out of 11 of my caches in my bookmark list being displayed. I found that the missing cache was one that I had a *draft* log for. These caches should be showing up with their "!" mark on the map. Why is this important? #1 -- After a trip, I want to be sure that I logged or drafted *all* the caches on that list. #2 - Since there is still a silly limitation of only 100 bookmark lists -- I often need to "merge" bookmark lists. If I'm only getting 10/11 in this simple case then I don't know how many caches I've already lost due to not all the caches being mapped so that they can be added to another list. Hope there are enough details here for you to provide quick fixes.
  21. niraD

Some might argue against "armchair OM logs".
  22. NYPaddleCacher

I haven't heard the term greylisting used. Adding an intentional delay is often called throttling and is a technique to used to limit the amount of network bandwidth based upon exceeding a threshhold.
  23. on4bam

Just interesting

That's where "identities" come in. In K9mail (Android) the identity when replying is automatically chosen depending on the address a message was send too, In Pegasus Mail (Windows) I do that manually.
  24. niraD

Just interesting

Note that you have to have your email set up just the way Groundspeak wants it for this to work. If you have a geocaching-specific address that forwards to your real address, then this won't work, because your replies will come from your real address, not from your geocaching-specific address. I had to change my email settings on geocaching.com to make this work. Here you go: The MC is fine for the same kind of communication that SMS texting is good for: short messages that won't be important a week from now. For more substantial communication, I prefer a real email system.
  25. K13

Changing Ownership

I still stand by this advice. And believe that the Guidelines support this. Don't enable a crappy, absentee owner. Allow the bad caches to be archived and place others after the crappy ones are gone.
  26. dprovan

While I agree with what you're saying, I'm not going to let this statement pass. Pristine caches not just a reach, it's an impossible to achieve goal, yet the impossible goal that this whole "cache quality" effort is driving at. No matter how good a job the CO does, someone is going to find the cache after it fails. Someone is going to find it full of water when it eventually cracks or the last seeker fails to close it properly. Someone is going to look for it after it goes missing. That's just part of the game. But more and more, there is, in fact, this expectation of pristine caches, and, by all appearances, this "cache quality" effort is taking us towards the idea that the CO should visit the cache often enough that he discovers any problems before anyone else gets there. I think this is leading in the wrong direction because the conscientious COs determined to maintain their caches see the expectations as being impossible to meet, so they hide fewer caches, leaving the COs that never really cared about maintenance to begin with and never planned to meet expectations as the ones hiding most the caches.
  27. RuideAlmeida

A.P.E. Brasil GeoTour (GT99)

Completed! 😍
  1. Load more activity