All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. This should be the case. I have been told that it has own programming interface to the API you can use for your own projects. This was mentioned once before this "New API" discussion, when there was not possibility to request permisison to use the official API. As the program is now freeware and it is using the new API it may be the only possible solution.
  3. DollyJelly

Release Notes (Website: New Search Map) - April 25, 2019

"(1) Having the map window open in the web browser causes my computer to spin up a lot - it uses a lot of cpu memory, even when the window is just open." I have tested this in Firefox and Google Chrome. This was easily observed (more so in Firefox), i.e. I can also see a significant increase in constant cpu use on the search screen (and I too can't understand why this over the Browse Screen was chosen as the default). My Linux system was hardly overloaded, but it is a weird effect since nothing was actually happening. My preference when visiting the Desktop web page is to use the Browse map <90% of the time. The simple reason is that moving the desktop around allows instant views of the caches in that place in view. I can't for the life of me understand what the benefit is to have a separate map and page just for search. The better use of the UI would be to have just the Browse map and the side panel to have tabs. One of which would be search. Everything currently seems just too clunky and a bit 1990's in feel. We even have different architecture for the 2 side panels with 2 types of "click to hide " methods. Who on earth in the design team thinks that's a good or desirable idea? I suspect that what has happened here is that the bandwidth loads on the existing servers was such that integrity and constancy of service was at risk, and one area which Groundspeak has identified as being "intensive" and a cause of the slow downs etc was the search. So the replacement page was rushed out (probably as a sticking plaster to the issue) to maintain a semblance of service - in the full knowledge that there would be a large number of disgruntled users. I doubt the current situation will last for ever, but how long is difficult to predict. I seriously hope that the Browse screen is never "harmonised" with the Search screen Style, that Press to refresh button seriously irritates.
  4. barefootjeff

CO Rant

At the end of the "rant", the CO says they're going to replace the cache so it sounds like more than just the log is missing. And no, if the log was missing on one of my caches and someone logged an NA to tell me that, I'd probably be bemused rather than annoyed, thank them for the heads-up on the missing log, disable the cache, replace the logbook as soon as I could and put it back on line. If there's a problem with one of my hides I want to know about it, and I'd rather even an NA than them just stuffing in a scrap of paper and not saying anything.
  5. rapotek

Cache Quality Survey results

The Polish saying comes to my mind now, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater"... 😕 Why to sacrifice some quality caches that do not need maintenance when all is needed is to archive the bad ones without unnecessary extending their lifespan and to make a place for another, possibly better ones.
  6. Today
  7. dprovan

CO Rant

Sounds like I'd have to see it to understand your point. The CO's log sounds like someone posted an NA simple because the log was missing. Wouldn't that would annoying any CO?
  8. dprovan

That would help if it were actually the intended meaning. But I think it's pretty clear that "inactive COs" is a bogey man that's widely accepted, and that this guideline really does intend that caches not visited regularly by their CO should disappear, regardless of whether they need any maintenance. Like so many changes in the last few years, the idea is that it's OK to sacrifice some quality caches for the goal of never encountering a bad cache.
  9. rapotek

Maybe the highlighted bit should be something like "maintain their caches promptly when needed"?
  10. barefootjeff

CO Rant

I just mentioned this in another thread, but it simply isn't true for well-made caches, especially if their hiding place protects them from the elements. This one I placed four years ago I visited a couple of weeks back, when this photo was taken, and prior to that had only visited it a couple of times to move on some TBs. It's still the original container with its original logbook and original pencil, entirely unchanged since I put it there except for the 15 names in the logbook. I've found others that go back to the early 2000s that are still the original container and logbook (with plenty of room for decades more logs) and have never had or needed maintenance. This one was placed in 2002 and was most recently found in February this year, still in great condition in spite of having had no maintenance in all that time. If a CO wants to place something delicate and fragile then they have to expect it to be regularly damaged, but with a bit of thought given to the container and hiding place, it's not that hard to produce a cache that's essentially set and forget.
  11. TheLimeCat

CO Rant

It isn't our job as searchers to maintain a CO's cache. It may be a common courtesy, but a cache that isn't maintained by its CO won't last long. I find it funny that this CO mentions how the NA logger is whinging while simultaneously engaging in a rant about how others aren't doing a good enough job maintaining their caches for them. Maintenance or NA log is posted > cache owner addresses the problem. 'Nuff said. The logs are there to keep the community notified, not to act as an insult to one's honor.
  12. Max and 99

Re-Creating a Travel Bug

Ditto that!
  13. barefootjeff

The bit I've highlighted in red is probably what scares me most about this cache quality push, not so much for my own hides which I visit fairly regularly anyway just for my own satisfaction that all's well (and because I put them in places I like to visit), but for some of the excellent ones I've enjoyed over the years that are well-made, well-concealed from muggles and simply don't need regular maintenance. A nano in a busy city might need its log scroll and/or seal replaced every few months, but the same isn't true of a remotely-placed rugged cache with a proper logbook that might only get a couple of visits a year. To fill in a dull evening last week (and to avoid all the endless political talk about our Federal election), I went through the hundred caches I've given FPs to. Of those, 9 have been archived, 23 have had some maintenance done during their life, but the other 68 as best I could tell have never had any maintenance at all (no NMs logged and the only OMs just said everything's fine). They're still the original container with its original logbook and are still in great condition. These aren't just all new caches either; of the ones that haven't been archived, 41 are more than 5 years old and 9 of those are more than 10 years old. The oldest was placed in 2001 and, after being replaced in 2002 following a fire, hasn't had or needed any attention since. A good container in a hiding place protecting it from the elements and muggles will last pretty much indefinitely without any owner attention, so it really doesn't matter whether the owner is responsible and still active or not, the cache remains there to be enjoyed by generations of cachers to come. I'd hate to see any well-intentioned enforcement of regular maintenance designed to rid the world of decrepit micros result in the loss of many of these fine caches either because their owners have left the game or are unwilling to put in the often substantial effort needed to visit them regularly when there's no need to.
  14. Cryptid

Re-Creating a Travel Bug

I got ahold of 30 old Jeep TB numbers from another geocacher, she was given all the numbers by Jeep, I bought some dog tags and have remade them with a stamp set and printed Jeep icons. I’ve been releasing them to get them moving again, see GeoWoodstock . Sadly, most of those Jeep TB’s went the way of most travelers. ‘Also, I have my own travel bugs/coins that I have remade several times. They keep disappearing. Sadly, the TB’s of mine that made it to Europe have longevity, while those staying in US have a short lifespan. America, step it up.
  15. Hallo zusammen, nach längerer Zwangspause will ich jetzt unbedingt endlich den heiligen Gral heben und mich endlich ins Logbuch von Enigma#1 eintragen. Die Lösung ist fast komplett, es fehlen nur noch die Vor-Ort-Infos... Ich werde am 07.Oktober 2019 morgens (ca. 7/8 Uhr) den Außenpart in Angriff nehmen, da ich dann sowieso in der richtigen Gegend unterwegs bin. Hat jemand Lust, Laune und vor allem am genannten Datum Zeit für die Tour? Gemeinsam geht so eine Aktion deutlich besser. Freu mich über Mitstreiter, die vielleicht auch wie ich auf der fertigen Indoor-Lösung sitzen und das Ding endlich in den Händen halten möchten. Viele Grüße, Kari
  16. kunarion

Painted rocks inside caches

I`ve seen little google-eyed rock "animal" souvenirs in gift shops. If it's a nicely designed signature item, that might be cool. I'm working with small river stones for my 50ml vial Micros. But those are weights . So the tube doesn't blow away after hanging on a tree branch.
  17. kunarion

I've seen places locally where there are hundreds of painted river stones, maybe about the size to fit in a hand, some larger. The stones decorate the ground in some town square. They were all painted at a local festival or whatever, by kids and families. The stones are to be carried far and wide for peace and goodwill and luck. Or something. So it's not surprising they'd turn up in caches. If a person uses one for trade, understand that they grabbed it from the pile. So it was as fair a trade as a golf ball near a golf course. At least it's not a gum wrapper.
  18. cerberus1

There was a thread on those a couple years ago. Was surprised to see an open space manager placing them in caches now. When I see them, I'm reminded of why many trails have erosion issues. Guess rocks in their natural state just aren't "pretty" enough. One at an event told me he "bought the rocks he paints". Yeah, right...
  19. K13

I've never seen one, either in a cache or in the wild. Must be a Left-coast thing.
  20. noncentric

Yes, the rules have always been there, and some people do not abide by the rules - actually guidelines. People that don't follow the current rules are not going to follow even more rules. So whatever problems you're seeing are not going to go away by creating more rules. That is the crux of the issue. You can want all CO's to be responsible and maintain their caches regularly, but some of them simply won't or can't. Establishing more rules isn't going to change the behavior of those CO's, but it may discourage the CO's that want to follow the 'rules' because they will see the rules as being overly onerous and decide against taking on all of those responsibilities, whereas the current list of responsibilities do not seem daunting.
  21. cerberus1

10 years and more

As CnJnA says, the tracking codes are yours. You can send out new items, or on TBs send out the copy, but you can use that code on something that'll never leave your side. We know of a few people who use that code on items they always have with them (backpacks, hiking sticks, dog collars...) limited only by your imagination. - They're used for Discover-only logs by folks they meet on the trail, or at events.
  22. Max and 99

ISS Passes May 2019

Edmond. N 35° 36.524' W 97° 27.477' Max at 21:12:02 71º
  23. Alkhalikoi

Strangest thing found while geocaching

The 6x6" post that holds up the Welcome to Wyoming sign at GC1H2XX (https://coord.info/GC1H2XX), I found a jelly jar full of 420. I figure some dude from 420-friendly Colorado realized he was heading into 420 not-so-friendly Wyoming and ditched the stash. I was with my then-8 year old and didn't feel like explaining, so I tucked it back in its hidey-hole.
  24. noncentric

Cannot download already found GCs to Garmin etrex 10

The reason you got zero caches in your PQ results is because there aren't any caches that you have both found and unfound. That filter section is an AND filter, so it will only return a cache if you have both found and not found it - which is obviously not possible. You'd also get zero results if you selected both "I own" and "I don't own". If you want to run queries with conflicting criteria, then you need to create separate queries. If you want a .gpx file that contains ALL of your found caches, then you'll need to run a MyFinds query (see below). It can only be run once every 3 days though and will contain all of your finds, even if the cache is archived. Running a PQ for caches you've found will return no more than 1000 caches.
  25. elyob

ISS Passes May 2019

Were you in Guthrie or Edmond for tonight's pass?
  26. noncentric

Release Notes (Website: New Search Map) - April 25, 2019

I think the new Search Map serves a good function, but what I find problematic is: (1) Having the map window open in the web browser causes my computer to spin up a lot - it uses a lot of cpu memory, even when the window is just open. (2) It is a forced default map view. I'd prefer to see the Browse Map when I select Play -> View Map, so I think there should be an option (setting) that allows users to choose which map view is their default. (3) The map simply doesn't work for some users. All they get is white or blank screen when opening the Search Map. That is a fundamental problem. Besides that, there are bugs in the new Search Map that need to be fixed. Pointing out bugs about a feature does not mean that someone doesn't "like" a feature. Features should function properly, regardless of whether it's 'old' or 'new'.
  27. Max and 99

ISS Passes May 2019

I'm so glad this worked out. Practically every single school district in my state is closed tomorrow because of expected severe weather (this is Tornado Month). I can't believe we got several passes watched this weekend. One of my husband's students introduced him to the SkyView app many months ago. He loves it! I'll attach a screenshot in a minute.
  1. Load more activity