All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. VAVAPAM

Archiving caches that have no problems

I have, too. Original container/log and everything. Cool to find those. That tends to be the exception in our area, unfortunately. It's not unusual to see a community allow one to limp along or simply lay untouched. Or perhaps it's been on every local's ignore list for so long they forgot about it? Then an unsuspecting traveling cacher passes through, finds - or doesn't find - it, and thinks, "Why are there no logs about the state of this cache?" Or it becomes an armchair logger resort. Sometimes when travel-caching, I really think hard before posting what appears, to me, to be an obviously needed NA. (NMs don't do that to me.) What's going on here? Am I asking to kill off a local sweetheart for which nobody has the heart to pull the plug? Ah, well, let the Reviewers decide; they'll know better than I if it's "time".
  3. barefootjeff

Yes, here's one that was placed in 2002, is still the original container with its original logbook, never had or needed any maintenance and probably won't in my lifetime or the CO's. This one of mine, a stainless steel cookpot hidden deep inside a wind-eroded sandstone alcove 3km from the nearest road, is still pristine after two years (apart from some names added to the logbook) and I'm sure I'll become a worthless pile of junk long before it does.
  4. VAVAPAM

While admittedly not quite the same, I have seen the Reviewer say, in their Archive note, that it would be appreciated if somebody could pick up the geolitter. (Archived because it WAS a geolitter-al mess with a non-responsive CO.) It may not show up on the search map, but it can very well show up elsewhere. Personal lists is but one example. I know I'm gonna look to see what happened to a cache on my bookmark list.
  5. funkymunkyzone

Geocoin Price

You kind of get what you pay for. Want rare, large or more elaborately designed coins - pay more. Common, simple, small coins - pay less.
  6. funkymunkyzone

EarthCache

There's also a forum dedicated to Earthcache discussions and some very helpful ppl in there.
  7. Today
  8. Touchstone

EarthCache

If you go to the Help Center, there are several articles on the subject, as well as links to the Guidelines and GSA website (sponsors of the cache type).
  9. KhaledGeo

EarthCache

I can’t find out how to make an earth cache. Does anybody know about what happened to them or how to make one?
  10. VAVAPAM

not enough Favourite point

That's really funny! FWIW, I've only ever found one Altoids-like tin (it was actually a metal mini first aid kit, but definitely looked like one). Maybe because things tend to rust quickly in the SE US.
  11. KhaledGeo

Interesting Geocache Idea

Thank you everyone
  12. barefootjeff

Found It = Didn't Find It

I just got this notification for a cache on my watchlist: Log Type: Found it Date: 16/07/2019 Location: New South Wales, Australia Type: Traditional Cache Log: Knew what we were looking for but no luck. Will be back This looks to be yet another example of where the new logging page's default log type has resulted in the wrong type being logged. Sure enough, when I went to the cache page, the logger has spotted the mistake and changed it to a DNF. I feel like jumping up and down and yelling at someone in HQ, anyone, to please just get rid of these default log types!
  13. PittPack

Mystery at the Museum

ok, thanks for the reply. I knew events were only detective, but never saw that it said all new caches would be detective. thanks!
  14. VAVAPAM

Granted, I don't live in an area rife with guardrail trails (actually, guardrails [and other DOT-owned property] are out of bounds in my state) or teeming with COs competing for placement space, but I certainly hope that doesn't happen. Before you bring out the tar and feathers, do consider that while a cache may be .1 as the crow flies, that crow may be flying over a ravine or other impassable territory.
  15. dprovan

I'm not sure I amount to "so many people", and I don't have any problem with someone that wants to withdraw their cache from doing so. I only object to the claim that there are any practical or moral reasons to insist they withdraw their caches as soon as they will no longer be in a position to maintain them. And I'm particularly annoyed by this persistent idea that as soon as a CO stops maintaining their cache, it immediately becomes a worthless pile of junk. I've found some really great caches in good condition years after the owner has passed away.
  16. colleda

Dadgum it! I see there's now 2 FPs on my "America's Favorite Cache". GC5JFF5 Some people have no class.
  17. funkymunkyzone

Potentially the Adventure Labs could cater for something like this in the future if GS found a way to do it, and wanted to. In the present, the solution to all of this is attach something to a travel bug. They move around and you can log them using a special code. Problem solved.
  18. Yesterday
  19. dprovan

Every cache will inevitably require maintenance, CO or not. I do not see the problem with enjoying the cache until it needs maintenance. Festering caches are a problem, and we have NMs and NAs to deal with them, whether their CO is paying attention or not. Caches in good shape are not a problem and can be enjoyed as much as ever, whether their CO is paying attention or not.
  20. bflentje

A string of DNFs....

Oh, did I forget the </sarcasm> tag? 🙄
  21. Touchstone

Maybe not a Groundspeak solution. Like you say..years and years down the road. On the bright side, we have Earthcaches thanks to the GSA. We have (or maybe it's "had" by now, since I don't see many) Chirps, thanks to Garmin. Maybe the OP can find a sponsor that can push the project forward. Sounds like a lot of work, but Hey! Follow your passion.
  22. bflentje

Oh good grief. There are hundreds of reasons why this can happen and nearly all of them are not wrong or give geocaching a black eye.
  23. K13

I shudder to think that GS would design another app that would be such a strain on their database resources, and require a worldwide codification of local Geocache placement policies. That would be a years-long process, especially when they factor in the dead zones on Earth where there is no signal.
  24. Keystone

Thanks for linking to my 2005 post. It's fun to read something I wrote 14 years ago, but have no present recollection of writing. Even more fun, my story hasn't changed over the years. I think that, as I continue aging and forgetting more things, I will be having even more fun in the years ahead. Perhaps when I'm 70, someone will link to the "self-destructing nano" post. To that someone, thanks in advance for the chuckle.
  25. Touchstone

I don't think this idea would work like other caches, and probably impractical to treat it like other caches. I'm thinking this would have to be a stand alone app for a smart phone, along the lines of Wherigo or Adventure Lab experiences. You would need something that dynamically locates you, and cross references your position to nearby caches and Events, as well as any legal restrictions, like the railroad and government buildings example.
  26. colleda

Awarding a FP can be a personal thing. In the pst I've awarded a FP because finding the cache brought me to a place that evoked fond memories of being at that spot or an event of some sort happened at that spot. There would be nothing out of the ordinary about the container and how it was placed. I would also say in my log why the FP was awarded. Is there a cache on Blueberry Hill?
  27. K13

There are too many geocachers which use GPS only and too much of the world without satisfactory phone signal to make your idea impossible to implement. That is before you get into the issues from the past, where a cacher would place a Traveling cache too close to an existing cache, in an area which has a policy against cache placement, or simply pass it around between his friend/geocachers so they could all log it, then take it to an event for everyone there to log it, etc. All of these unsavory things happened in the past.
  28. niraD

Here's the link again...
  1. Load more activity