All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. cerberus1

How to know if coordinates are avaialble

Yep. Dyslexic old farts don't do well with many puzzles, but there's a heck of a lot more of those who can. - But they don't do rope climbs or caving, and with me in their team, they've a number of boats too.
  3. dprovan

Virtual CO not responding

Well, the worst case is that the CO deletes the find without any comment. Still not a big deal, but annoying if you can't get an explanation.
  4. Team Hugs

Unknowingly finding a throwdown

The problem I have with that argument is that it's not always clear if you've found "the right cache". Okay, sure, if the cache description says that it's a large, and you find a test trip container, it's pretty clear that it's a throwdown. But it's not always that obvious. A micro throwdown on a micro cache may be incredibly hard to distinguish from the original --- especially if the cache description doesn't give enough information to distinguish between them. My one-and-only experience with this a number of years ago was on an urban cache. What I found at the cache site (a hollow metal tube in an urban area) was a hidden slip of paper with a few signatures from previous loggers. The cache size was described as "not chosen". I signed the log in good faith. Shortly thereafter, the CO contacted me, telling me I'd signed a throwdown, because the real cache was a magnetic nano in the pipe. Okay, maybe today, 4000 finds later, I'd know enough to suspect a naked sheet of paper was a throwdown. But I didn't then --- especially as the use of "logs-as-caches" was still popular at that time before the Frog started requiring actual containers. We need to remember that not everyone who finds a cache is a veteran cacher who knows all the "unwritten rules". (Incidentally, this is why I'm uncomfortable with earthcaches; it's never clear to me if I've got the answers "correct" when I submit them, and I'm always a little afraid that a CO will disallow my find on the basis of me not being able to tell the difference between igneous and metamorphic rock structures. With caches that have a log, I usually have some assurance that I've actually found the blessed thing. But that's a discussion for another time.) Except if ... You're competing in one of the Frog's latest events, which awards you points for finds, and one less find might mean that you don't get that souvenir you've been pursuing. You need the find to qualify for a challenge cache (Frog-approved or not), and one less find means you don't qualify after all. You're pursuing a non-Frog-endorsed, self-determined caching goal, and that find is critical to the success of your goal. I'm in the midst of a cache-a-day streak in excess of seven years. (Yes, I'm obsessed.) Part of being able to sustain that streak for that long is limiting myself to one find per day in the areas I frequent most often. If the CO came along later and disallowed my find on their cache listing because I'd unknowingly signed a throwdown, and that terminated my streak, I'd be extremely unhappy. In the story I told above, in their email to me, the CO requested that I delete my log because it wasn't on the actual cache. Now it turns out that, on that day, I'd been in an area I don't frequent much, so I'd allowed myself to find lots of caches that day. Deleting the log in question didn't hurt my streak (or any other goals I was pursuing), and so I did so, out of respect for the CO (who is a well-respected CO and cacher in the area). But if that had been my only find that day, we would've had a very different conversation. Sure, you can tell me that none of those goals I listed above matter in the grand scheme of things, and you'd be right. But maybe there's some room for grace for the folks who do their best to find the "intended cache" and get diverted by a throwdown. I'm a university professor. I give exams. Every question I give on the exam has an "intended" answer. There are times that students give an answer that isn't my "intended answer", but is still a correct answer to the question I asked. I give them credit for the answer, even if it wasn't what I intended.
  5. cerberus1

Cache Quality Survey results

Not an allegation. Here's a fun read... Adventure labs Caches come out, and only a week later there's already hundreds of fakers. A number of COs experiencing the same. With the Cache Carnival promotions, many people reported numerous FPs on caches for no reason other than needed for the promotion. - Some also say they noticed once those FPs were added for their stats, some of the FP fakers were deleting them again from their archived caches.
  6. Alfouine

ISS Passes May 2019

27 mai -2,7 00:14:57 10° ONO 00:17:09 34° O 00:17:09 34° O visible I have this, it's not possible for me, under 45° 26 mai -3,0 22:38:13 10° ONO 22:41:31 52° NNE 22:44:21 13° E visible This one is OK I live at 40 km east of Tours
  7. kunarion

Go to a cache Event with locals who are familiar with the area. Also ask around, especially when certain persons seem to have several caches in the place, or when some people seem to find them all. I was fortunate when I'd mention that I'd like to hide a cache in a particular spot, some more experience local would say something like, “That sounds great and on an unrelated topic, have you found cache X?” Maybe you'll be that lucky. Remember that even if you don't solve puzzle caches, that other people do. Some prefer puzzles. In a saturated place, packing more caches where there's a puzzle cache can make it easier to find without solving the puzzle. Basically people may simply go to the center of the “empty” place surrounded by traditionals.
  8. chuck4564

Virtual CO not responding

I recently traveled and contacted 9 owners of virtuals or EarthCaches to supply the requested site information. Of those 9, 5 remained silent. Of the 4 that replied, 3 were "thank you for visiting" type replies. One of the replies requested the specified photo be posted. I don't wait for replies before posting finds.
  9. Today
  10. searcherdog

The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ooooo, thank you Speakers Corner. Let's go back to 1767 when John Spilsbury invented the jigsaw puzzle. What was the picture on the puzzle? I believe there are two possible answers so either will be accepted.
  11. Mineral2

Garmin GPSmaps 62s vs Garmin Oregon 600

Canyon environments are certainly tricky with the Oregon. I have, on occasion, had it locate me on the opposite side of the river. But the fact that it still has me in the bottom of the canyon, within 100 feet or so of my actual position. Remember, these aren't survey devices, they're for navigation, and you can still navigate just fine so long as you understand how error works and that you need to look up once in a while to actually verify your surroundings. With the exception of slot canyons, the issue isn't so much lack of satellites in view but a phenomenon known as multipath, where signal from the satellite bounces off of the canyon walls, then hits your receiver making it seem as though you are further from the satellite than you actually are.
  12. kunarion

Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)

"The Easter Beagle" cache had cool "Clan Riffster style" camouflage on the box, the leaf/stick or hunter blind burlap covering was glued on. But when I adopted it, only the old sealant remained. It still had a pretty interesting texture, just no camo. So I've glued new natural camo onto five sides of the box using clear outdoor sealant. I think it it's a decent tribute to Clan Riffster style covering. I'll return this original box to its spot once the sealant cures.
  13. PISA-caching

Waymarking.com invites

Well, yes, I know that he would have archived the traditional and created a new Multi, but I didn't want to inform about the rules of geocaching, but rather give an idea. Anyway, I think he now knows what to do. Yes, publishing a US Benchmark will be tough for me, but at least I took a photo of one (long time ago) without knowing that it is a Benchmark. So, I have at least a visit in that category.
  14. Wet_Ground

Publishing error

Yeah same here just it hasn't let me submit it yet! :-(
  15. PISA-caching

ISS Passes May 2019

A most helpful posting. Thanks a lot. I noticed the dotted part of the line and knew, that it would disappear there, but I didn't know that it will also change colors before disappearing. I should watch that, no matter if I find a partner or not. I checked the ground track and it will pass Cornwall, England (maybe also the southernmost part of Ireland). It will then fly across France (Alfouine?) and maybe Switzerland, but Switzerland would be too close to Savona.
  16. Der Zappo

Reviewer sperren und archivieren grundlos Geocaches

Der Fehler, den Boden umzugraben, liegt beim Sucher. Der Fehler, den "maximal engagierten, aber blinden Sucher" nicht mit einzurechnen, liegt beim Owner. Ich habe die letzen 2 Wochen so einige "Tradirunden" gemacht und Caches gesucht - und logischerweise einige davon auch nicht gefunden - deren "Versteck" einfach völliger Blödsinn waren. Mitten in der (schönen) Pampa, aber man konnte wahlweise dann bei 8 Bäumen den Fuß untersuchen, um dann ganz geschmeidig die Suche einen Meter anzusiedeln und danach noch nen Meter höher. Und parallel dazu ca. 20 Baumstümpfe, Holzhaufen und Sträucher durchscannen. Verhältnis Bewegung:Sucherei gerne mal 1:2. Oder mehr. Tut mir leid, dazu bin ich "anders befähigt" - oder zu faul Da setz ich mich lieber dort ne Weile in die Sonne und schreib daheim einen DNF. Und geh eben wieder ÜBERM Rhein Cachen. Die Mär, daß Leute eben lange suchen WOLLEN, ist eben - ne Mär. Und oft nur Ausrede für ungenügendes Können und Handwerk. Von "versteckorientierten Raffinement-Augenöffner-ungläubiges Staunen und Grinsen-Caches" mal abgesehen. Aber diese Begeisterung gründet sich dann eher nicht auf die Erkenntnis, daß der Owner Baumstumpf Nr 8 und nicht Nr 3 ausgesucht hat. Gruß Zappo
  17. jellis

Unknowingly finding a throwdown

I have an evil cache, when I started getting logs saying it was easy I realized there was a thrown down. It’s hard to tell when previous finders didn’t mention why a 3 difficulty was so easy. I did deleted the logs and asked the pervious finders to relog that they got permission and they didn’t realize it was a throw down. Some actually on their own went back to resign because they wanted to experience the 3 difficulty. I understand if you can’t tell on an easier cache. On one of mine recently someone found two caches. I quickly posted a note on which one wasn’t mine and if they sign it after that date I would delete their log. The throwdown was retrieved and I posted the photo of the logsheet. Two cachers signed after I posted the note. But they never logged it.
  18. PISA-caching

ISS Passes May 2019

The sundown will be 21:03, so it will not be very dark, but maybe dark enough to see the ISS. Anyway, I will concentrate on Cremona instead. I just checked the data for Tours, France for the night 26th/27th of May. At 00:15:44 the ISS will have an altitude of 58°. So, we could create another one, if you want. :-)
  19. _Art_

Garmin GPSmaps 62s vs Garmin Oregon 600

Can you take an Oregon outside face the display upward, turn it on, go to sat view, get a position, then turn it upside down with the display facing the ground and looking up at it, tell what happens? I’d be interested because all of the “all screen” units use a ceramic chip antenna pointed directly at the ground. The displays have a foil backing that would block any signal directly overhead, which is also where the chip antenna’s highest gain is. With all of the birds in the sky nowadays, it might be beneficial to block those directly overhead. I don’t know. It would also be interesting to compare them in some canyon environment where both struggle to get any signal at all.
  20. K13

If your visiting the area damages the environment, maybe you ahould find another place for a cache.
  21. jennergruhle

Reviewer sperren und archivieren grundlos Geocaches

Aber oft wird die Umgebung eben deshalb umgegraben (natürlich nur von Leuten, die sowas eben tun, die anderen gehen wieder, idealerweise mit DNF-Log...), weil der Owner sich zu fein war einen Hint oder Spoiler einzufügen. Wenn ich mitten auf einem Feld ein Hydrantenschild mit PETling im Rohr habe, ist die Stelle nunmal klar, aber Dose in Steinhaufen/Schotterbett/Gabione mit Hint "Stein" oder im Wald mit Hint "Baum" ist nunmal schlechtes Handwerk seitens des Owners. Das spielt den Gegend-Umwühlern nunmal direkt in die Hände. Aber es hat sich eben noch nicht zu allen Ownern herumgesprochen, dass Hint/Spoiler kein Zeichen von Schwäche, sondern Naturschutz sind. Und das Argument "aber die Leute *wollen* doch lange suchen!" trifft nunmal nur auf wenige Sucher zu, die sollen dann halt nicht nach Hint/Spoiler gucken. Nicht nur das, es gibt eben auch die Leute, die - wenn es klar ist, dass sie diesmal kein Fundlog bekommen - nicht nur physisch sabotieren sondern auch üble Nachrede verbreiten, oder versuchen dass der Cache archiviert wird. Einige Cacher bei besagtem Blautopf-EC scheinen in diese Kategorie zu fallen.
  22. IceColdUK

Just interesting

There’s a setting for that. 🙂
  23. RuideAlmeida

Wireless download of Geocaches

Being PM you can create PQs and save them for offline use.
  24. RuideAlmeida

Wireless download of Geocaches

Dakota 20 will do it from another GPS, for a reasonable price.
  25. coachstahly

Just interesting

Because? If it's solely about the fact that it "identifies" the manner in which the message was sent, that makes sense but I still don't see the problem, if the email address you provided to receive these notifications is the email address you get all your other geocaching.com emails from. If you would prefer it to go to their email address, that's a different issue and one that obviously won't work as things currently stand. The reply to the MC email doesn't provide the email address, only the message that it was replied to via email. My initial reply was via the email response. My next reply was directly on the MC page on the site. You don't have to go the webpage. You can read your email and reply to them, thereby sending your reply to the MC without actually having to go to the MC. I will say that subsequent messages don't immediately go to the email, unless there's a longer duration of time between communications. I don't get those notifications regularly, which certainly defeats the purpose of being able to respond via email vs. having to go to the MC to reply back. In the one I've used as an example, the only notification I received via email was the very first one sent. We replied back and forth a few more times after that and I never received notification of a reply. That's certainly not optimal and if you only want to reply via email, would cut the conversation short until the next email went out, notifying you that you had a message in the MC. To my recollection, I've only received a single email notifying me that I had a follow up reply to my initial reply. I personally prefer to send all my replies to ECs and virtuals via email, and will continue to do so, but I don't mind others contacting me through the MC to send me their answers or ask any questions they might have. It's not an optimal set up but it still provides another means of communication whereby other cachers can reach out to each other. I do most of my logging and communication through my desktop rather than my phone anyway, so it's not really much of an issue. How would you respond to cachers who reply to any answers you may have regarding an EC or a virtual, who choose to reply via the MC vs. a more traditional email? GS has said that answers sent by either format MUST be accepted. Will you just not respond?
  26. hal-an-tow

Cache Quality Survey results

No, it couldn't work ... but if attempted it would push up sales of GPS devices which are entirely offline, and third party apps which swerved the process ... Garmin would be very happy, official app customers ( and therefore Groundspeak) would not ... Then, if fairness is the target, what about people who find a cache in a group or a pair ? Surely it's only fair that the difficulty should be divided by the number of searchers in the group ? And of course, the app should watch for, and suitably penalise any PAFs (phone .e mail or message centre) from GZ ... Then there needs to be a 24 hour a day watch on all aspects of the cachers life to ensure they solve that D5 puzzle without any outside help whatsoever .... Yes, I'm being silly here to highlight the flaws . A simpler answer to your problem (which I don't see as a problem myself ) would be, stop showing D/T grids on stats , or allowing challenges based on them. But that would demotivate some folk, therefore damage business too, so that's not going to happen. I reckon your only hope to achieve what you want is to change human nature to eliminate competition for social status, fondness for collecting complete sets, boasting and dishonesty. Sounds like a religion, not an amendment to an app 😀 Or you could just not be concerned by anyone else's stats, because how they got them really doesn't matter .Comparing them with your own , flawlessly honest ones ( because you found all caches solo, never did a PAF, never got a hint on a puzzle or were handed a container by someone who spotted it first ,etc etc ) and feeling peeved that they didn't earn them 'properly' is a waste of effort and will just make you feel negative. Smile and move on.
  1. Load more activity