All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. Both are great ideas but I can see the problems with them.
  3. A funny and embarrassing story about our first time. We had read up on geocaching and planned a day out. Our first look (later found out it was missing) We found a box on a door at the car wash it was hidden at. It had some paper and other stuff in it. We signed the paper and left some swagg. Went on about our day and actually started to find some caches. At the end of the day we went back and cleaned out the little box we had left stuff in.
  4. https://coord.info/GC28NB6
  5. My series is along the lines of what it sounds like you are thinking. First cache here: https://coord.info/GC3HN42 All but the first in this series are puzzle/mystery caches. (the full lost in the bookmark to the right of page) A series is not a cache type - were you thinking multi? (maybe like this one : https://coord.info/GC15B1N - though it is one I haven't found) The types multi and puzzle/mystery are sometimes interchanged. To me though, a multi is something that I have to go out to the coords to find some information while a puzzle/mystery I can find all the information to obtain the final coord sitting at home. Reading what you want to do, you have a few options cache 1 is a traditional - the puzzle (or whatever) for cache TWO and the logbook for cache ONE are both in the box Cache 2 is a puzzle. You've been to ONE and can solve at home. The container at final coords contain the logbook for TWO and something to help find THREE Cache 3 is also a puzzle. You've been to ONE and TWO and can solve at home. etc, etc OR the whole thing is a multi (a single cache listing) WP one contains the puzzle - solve at the site, in the car, take pics and solve at home, whatever to get coords for WP2 WP two contains more information, another puzzle, etc - solve to get WP3 WP three contains the logbook OR a combination I'd suggest you have a look at some puzzle and multi listings around your area (maybe look for fav points) and see what others do. Good luck.
  6. There is actually a challenge cache that requires failing to find more than a certain number of caches? Where is that one? I know I surely qualify for it.
  7. They are a Mystery Cache. Usually, it's a puzzle to solve to get the correct cache location coordinates. OR, it may be a Challenge Cache, which requires you to meet some qualification (find 25 caches whose name begins with Q, or find 5000 caches, or some other something, etc.) prior to logging the cache online.
  8. Today
  9. I have posted on this already - I have a print out of this cache from July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM. The OP was flat out wrong on this point. The requirements in the description were in place when the OP logged this cache. The CO changed the name of cache after the OP logged the cache to highlight the requirement but the requirement itself was clear in the description.
  10. I don't think I was clear. I am trying to find the listing for an old cache that I didn't find way back when, not to log my DNF, but to compare with another cache that has been recently published in the same area. But I know that there are challenge caches that require a certain number of DNFs in order to log the challenge as a find. That might be a reason someone would want to log their DNF to an archived cache?
  11. I'm 48.
  12. Nevermind. I found my answer on the Geocaching Official Blog https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2017/04/test-a-new-logging-experience-is-coming-to-geocaching-com/ Guess it pays to read them once in awhile.
  13. I might be a lunatic, because I can't figure out how to log Needs Maintenance to a cache page. When I click on "Log a New Visit," I only get the options Found It, Didn't Find It, and Write Note. What the heck??
  14. Curious, why the need to log a DNF on a cache that's archived? Guess I don't understand what use that notification to the CO is good for now. Thanks.
  15. I'm 57 but the local group seems to be a good mix of ages. I often cache with my daughter in her 30s and her daughter, 16. When we go out together, we use the handle Team3Gen. The 16 yo usually makes the grab, she moves so fast! We have discussed making her wait 5 min in the car while we get a head start.
  16. We did some Earthcaches in Yosemite - it only makes sense to me to log them the day we were there, at the EC site, in Yosemite. We had to think through our answers and the photos we took before submitting but the log reflected the day we were actually in Yosemite, and at the site of EC.
  17. We recently went after a newly published cache, and were pleased to see a nearly empty log; although there was a signature about 3-4 lines down with no date that puzzled us - but the FTF slot was blank. Hmmm.... we signed and logged as FTF. Now I see the one who had signed a few lines down logged it with an explanation - he's not claiming FTF, but logging the find a week or so after publication. His log explained that was given the coordinates by the CO, pre-publication, so he could find it before leaving on a trip, but agreed not to log the find till later, giving all the local cachers a real chance for an FTF, which we claimed! Now that's cooperation, and courtesy!
  18. bah! I was literally just about to post this Yeah, if you're first to find with nothing but the listing (or nothing at all, pre-publish) then I'd say FTF is up for grabs. Though personally if it's not a 'standard' (post-publish) ftf, I'd also contextualize it explain how I found it before publish that tends to help dissuade arguing about who "earned" it; and people can still claim FTFAP if they want. It's such a vague flexible side-game but people get ridiculously worked up about it.
  19. If they didn't fulfill the requirement to log the find, then they complete it in good faith. If they didn't know, they were mistaken and didn't complete the requirements. If they did know, they were intentionally cheating the logging requirement. It's up to the CO to judge whether they'll let the invalid log slip by. It's not their obligation merely because of "good faith".
  20. I would use that as the starting point, yes. Because otherwise I'd be assuming a cache owner is not following through with their responsibilities.
  21. Yes, but there's no rule in play that says after a certain amount of time the CO does not remove it, it has gained the right to remain. So yes, as I keep saying, a CO may be arguably irresponsible by not policing the logs (because the line and reason are subjective), but no period of time makes the CO "petty" for deleting invalid logs as they should. That's a different discussion which isn't relevant to this one, about an inactive CO returning to police an active cache of theirs with invalid logs. Not according to the guidelines, unless you can point to the line that shows I'm wrong. That of course is not to say that GS will always side with the CO. Extenuating circumstances may change the judgement - as an example I provided above, if the logger has evidence that the CO told them they'd let the log stand, then returns 2 years later and deletes it. GS may likely side with the finder. Again, different situation than the OP. Who knows. It ain't in the guidelines. So we go by the guidelines. If there's an argument to be made against that standard, then that's what Appeals is for. Indeed. But I doubt it, because the CO has reportedly decided to show good grace.
  22. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to compile a list of archived caches? Pocket queries don't seem to have the option, so maybe there's some other way? I'm trying to find the listing for an old cache that I didn't find way back when (and didn't log as a DNF--doh). Thank you in advance. JoPo2010
  23. I ran through the basics of Pocket Queries in that thread a couple of days ago. Pocket Queries are cool, and you should get familiar with them. But when someone has The App, they can make "Lists" to load a bunch of caches at once even more easily: https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=283 For example, do a search, and if you like the results, click the top left square in the results, Click "Add XXX to a List", and do that. Then open the App, and the list is right there in the App already. It's that easy. You can even do something like that entirely inside the App. Plus once you get the hang of Pocket Queries, The App can use those, too.
  24. Have you looked in the Help Centre (https://www.geocaching.com/help/)? That's always a good starting point for information. Specific to Pocket Queries, there are a couple of chapters (4.8 and 4.9) under Find a Cache - Premium Member Features.
  25. Don't give up so fast. There is a recent thread in the "How Do I" section called "Understating Pocket Queries" that should get you going. (Yes, that is the misspelled but actual topic title)
  26. If you mean the question marks inside the blue circles, those are Puzzle caches. The placement of the icon on the map is set by the coordinates on the Listing page. The coordinates for most Puzzle caches that you see on the site, are irrelevant. You usually have to solve some sort of puzzle in order to derive the correct coordinates for the Final cache container, which as defined by the Guidelines, must be within 2 miles of the posted coordinates. Ya, I know, it's kind of confusing
  27. just donate my membership to someone else.. It does me no good to not know how to use it and not find any help.. Give it to someone else.. I quit.
  1. Load more activity