All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I don't get it

Link to still some of the best advice and links to additional tutorials on the subject:
  3. I don't get it

Usually the forums should not be used to solved specific puzzles... but we can provide a broader approach, maybe. Considering that those pictures belong to movies, I would think of... the characters names, the movie name, the sequence of the movie name, etc. then a good idea may be to convert letters to numbers by instance...
  4. I don't get it

I am brand new and hate to ask questions that make eyes roll but here goes... I am confused on Puzzle caches, specifically the ones with pictures.How am I suppose to convert pictures to numbers to get the coordinates? Obviously I know what the first numbers should be and that has to be the key to getting the other numbers. In the example below the N coordinates should be 36 and the W should be 115. I am not looking for you to solve it but rather just the thought process you use. Is there a typical universal method that is used? I consider myself a pretty good puzzle person but not now - I just don't get it.
  5. Geocache Quality

1) In your mind, what is a high quality geocache? It is well thought out, brings you somewhere amazing or at least interesting, is clean and dry on the inside, may contain fun toys or trackables/pathtags, has an interesting/cool cache page, may have an achievable challenge or Gadget to complete, has an attentive owner, &/or is neat, unique, clever or funny in some way 2) In your mind, what is a low quality geocache? Pretty much the opposite of everything I said above. Slapped together, ho hum or trashy location, mush & buggy logbooks, crappy swag like pieces of debris/moldy business cards/tampons, crappy/boring cache description, plain/uninteresting containers that leak, unresponsive/nasty/rude owner, &/or a blah cache experience. 3) What steps can the community take to improve geocache quality? They shouldn't be afraid to log a dnf, should help with log books and cleaning out caches that get a little bit dirty/bad swag, should add needs maintenance for caches they see are not being maintained and needs archived when either needs maintenance is ignored by the CO or a cache really needs to go for one reason or another, be more careful with removing, opening & replacing caches where they belong so they don’t break, etc, be very generous with favorite points for COs who do a nice job with their caches & are keeping them well-maintained! 4) What steps can Geocaching HQ take to improve geocache quality? a. Make sure a cache hider has a current email for contact & if less than 100 finds, be certain the cacher does have 100 but is using a pocket account for a series or what have you. b. Be diligent with caches that are racking up large numbers of DNFs & comments indicating a problem with the cache. c. As a CO my hubby & I feel we get basically nothing for working our butts off on our hides. We help players solve problems, overcome issues, obtain totts, & we care for our caches by making repairs, etc. We have perfect cache health most of the time because we watch them closely. We have many high percentage fave point caches, but many are more challenging hides so don’t get as much traffic as other caches do, so we didn’t qualify for the virtual reward (really wanted one). We can no longer log our own caches, which we used to do after 5 big cache maintenance visits had been completed, so that little reward to ourselves is gone. Perhaps an auto free find on their own cache (make it pop up as optional) to those who keep the cache healthy for x period of time or x number of content, successful finders. You had a souvenir just for cache owners one year, but the same day you gave one out to all cachers who got a cache that day too, kinda ruined the exclusivity of our souvenir by doing that. We don’t get a special TB number or a discount on the yearly membership or anything. Yes a good log and favorite points are something, but otherwise there’s not a lot of external motivation to keep caches going. COs have to be internally motivated, & many simply aren’t.
  6. Community conversation about geocache quality

A minimum number of finds before hiding your own has merit though I think that 500 finds is probably a bit high ,not because I have myself not reached that number but because from my experience you know a good cache after around 100 particularly if you have finds in different states or countries. I have around 20 caches in my local area(country Western Australia) which have seen a steady decline in finds over time with the first hide in 2013. Since the first hide it has become apparent that easily accessible caches .ie on the highway or close to town, get found the most which shows cachers are time poor and seek quick finds.I have no real problem with this unless caches are only just above street rubbish. It has become apparent to me that geocaching is stagnating to some degree hence Groundspeak initiating this thread about cache quality which is at the heart of a good caching experience whether you are just starting or a veteran cacher.I, mean it would quickly lose its appeal if you were continually extracting soggy log sheets from poorly thought out locations or containers. Power trails are also questionable.All they do is contribute to a quantity over quality mentality usually with no relativity or meaning to where they are placed. I do agree with some comments that reviewers give CO,s too much latitude with maintaining caches that are clearly in need of help,maybe this is because of Groundspeak guidelines. There are a few factors that affect a cachers experience,namely 1.accurate coords. 2.informative cache page description 3.good location 4.appropriate container. I believe these are the most important cache attributes that will lead me to the cache In short cache quality needs to improve to continue to attract new cachers or the pursuit may continue to decline
  7. Premium -- is it worth it?

Sent! Check your profile email, please.
  8. Premium -- is it worth it?

9. Premium -- is it worth it?

10. Premium -- is it worth it?

11. Premium -- is it worth it?

12. Geocheckers on puzzle caches

I agree. Whilst I'm not in favour of making checkers mandatory. I would find it particularly evil (and not in a good way) to have an obvious solution given (e.g. coordinates in white text or a comment in the source), but have it be a red herring, and no checker. So far, the ones with red herrings I've done have had a checker. So whilst I still had the sinking solution of "I found the solution" only to have not really found it, at least it was at home, and not in the field.
  13. DNF Etiquette

Thank you The view I take is that even when a lot of people who manage to find a cache can only manage a log of two or three words at best - or the same, repetitive, qually useless cr@ppy and paste log on everything they find - they probably consider even that miniscule amount of effort more than they are willing to invest for something they didn't actually find. I consider that both rude and selfish - at least where a CO has invested effort in their offering which isn't reciprocated.
  14. Premium -- is it worth it?

Check your profile email, please.
  15. DNF Etiquette

Then I misunderstood and apologise. I thought that was your attitude. I was wrong.
  16. Introduce Yourself

Benvenuto!
  17. Introduce Yourself

Bienvenido!
  18. Introduce Yourself

Be very welcome!
  19. Today
  20. DNF Etiquette

I answered " Because there's no benefit to them in doing so - so why waste the time?" What did you actually write? I did see the comment you subsequently removed - just for the record. I'll try to clarify. The emphasis is on the word them and by them I mean those choosing not to log DNF. I personally log all my DNF's - including such detail as might be useful to anyone who chooses to read them.
  21. DNF Etiquette

I answered " Because there's no benefit to them in doing so - so why waste the time?" What did you actually write?
  22. DNF Etiquette

There is a benefit. It means the CO might get to know if the cache is missing, etc. So you've moved on and can't give a hoot, but what about the next cache you visit thinking it was there, but other people with your same attitude have been there before you and they couldn't give a hoot either and thought it a waste of time to log a DNF too, because...gees, it takes... like forever...to write DNF! I gave the example of a cache where probably about 20 people couldn't be bothered to log DNFs, and only when I logged a DNF after the cache was likely missing for 6 months was the CO notified to check, and then found it missing. Don't depend on others to log the DNF; they might be just like you. You seem to have responded to something other than what I actually wrote and, on that basis, jumped to a whole number of mistaken conclusions. While those things are your prerogative, it does seem to be a considerable waste of time which could be used more productively.
  23. DNF Etiquette

I find many people don't want to be the first to log a DNF, but when finally someone logs a DNF, after a gap with no finds, suddenly there is an 'avalanche' of logs following.
  24. DNF Etiquette

There is a benefit. It means the CO might get to know if the cache is missing, etc. So you've moved on and can't give a hoot, but what about the next cache you visit thinking it was there, but other people with your same attitude have been there before you and they couldn't give a hoot either and thought it a waste of time to log a DNF too, because...gees, it takes... like forever...to write DNF! I gave the example of a cache where probably about 20 people couldn't be bothered to log DNFs, and only when I logged a DNF after the cache was likely missing for 6 months was the CO notified to check, and then found it missing. Don't depend on others to log the DNF; they might be just like you.
  25. Fingertip Searches

Oh my goodness !!!
  26. Fingertip Searches

The stick idea is a good one. I think my biggest fears are needles or … and I realise this is a tricky one for a geocacher to avoid … snails! I have a massive phobia of snails, even the empty shells! But yes, needles and used syringes are a fear for me.
  27. Fingertip Searches

Somehow Emzy I don't think we have to worry the same level of threat as Touchstone or BarefootJeff. Yes I will stick my hands into holes, or under benches/pipes etc.; sometimes I wear gloves but not usually. If you're concerned about "yucky" stuff then you can buy nitrile gloves (like medics use) quite cheaply in bulk, and they will preserve all the sensitivity you need to search for a cache. If you're concerned about "sharp" stuff (needles/glass etc), then you'd need something more substantial and for needles they would need to be so tough as to make a fingertip search quite ineffective I expect.
  1. Load more activity