Did I Do The Right Thing?

OK - I recently (today) went to find a cache that had been moved by a previous cacher. Apparently they found the cache dragged out of it's hiding spot and left in the open, possibly by an animal.

That cacher thought the right thing to do was to rehide the cache 400ft away and list the coords in their log. This was back on April 19th.

A couple of cachers listed DNFs because they didn't see the previous logger’s coords. A couple of cachers found it based on the new coords.

Well, today June 3th (a month and a half later) I went to find the cache with both sets of coords. The cache owner hasn't responded to the chaos, so I moved the cache back to the correct coords listed on the site and put that in my log.

Did I do the right thing?

I vote yes. Some people will load up coords and seek without reading the page. Even if they read the page, they won't necessarily read the logs to find that log where the cache had been moved. So moving it back to the correct spot when the owner is absent seems best to me. I suppose a few could read the previous logs and see that the other person moved it, but I figure if they are reading logs they will also see yours first, so confusion is unlikely.

Considering that PQ's only return the 5 most recent logs, once that "I moved the cache" log becomes #6, many cachers won't see it to be able to use those coords. I'd say you did the right thing, getting it bach where it's supposed to be, especially since the owner (who I haven't looked to see if he/she is still active) hasn't taken care of it him/herself like a responsible cache owner would do.

I made three trips to what should have been a simple find before I went back and saw the log where someone had relocated it a while ago. I only noticed THAT because more recent finders' logs mentioned that they, too, failed to notice "the new coordinates listed below". :)

Yes. You did the right thing.

:)

No.

No, and here is why.

According to your description the cache owner isn't taking care of this cache. If you tried to contact the cache owner and were unable to get a response. Then you should have logged a SBA. The approver will then attempt to contact the cache owner to find out why they are neglecting this cache. If they do not respond to the approvers inquires. The approver, with your help, will archive the cahe. This then opens the area up for someone else to own and properly take care of a cache in that location.

No.

No, and here is why.

According to your description the cache owner isn't taking care of this cache. If you tried to contact the cache owner and were unable to get a response. Then you should have logged a SBA. The approver will then attempt to contact the cache owner to find out why they are neglecting this cache. If they do not respond to the approvers inquires. The approver, with your help, will archive the cahe. This then opens the area up for someone else to own and properly take care of a cache in that location.

Why not do both?

1. Move the cache back.

2. Get the cache reported as deserted.

That is what the previous person should have done, rather than take it upon themselves to move somebody elses cache, especiallt 400'. That is almost far enough away to qualify as a new cache!

I think you were right to put it back where it belongs.

I (at least until my palm decided to commit suicide by jumping off the roof of my car) usually cache by looking at my GPS to see what is near, and then looking at the cache description on cachemate. I Will look to see if the last log is a found, but I don't and cant look further back than the last 5 logs. I would not know if somebody decided to put the cache in a "better" location.

Having read the no vote posts I still vote yes.

Local cachers often take care of caches that owners have abandoned or take too long to maintain. If an owner does not respond then the caching community can keep it alive as they see fit. There is a bit of a challenge in keeping a cache alive that I find interesting and fun.

If the owner has a problem with this activity they can fix the cache themselves or archive it. Usually the owners don't mind, at least those that are still reading their email notices.

As a relatively new cacher, I would have to vote YES also. We went to Kauai the week before last and used a PQ to get the waypoints. We tried to find a cache that required a 4x4. We got to the area and it was nowhere to be found. Logged it at a DNF and when we got home and I logged it on the page, it had logs that indicated that the coords were off and had been updated, in the logs only, last year. Hello!? Last year? If it had been updated correctly then we would have all found it.

Perhaps sending in the SBA is correct also but so is putting it back in the right spot. If the cache is still getting a lot of finders and it's in good shape, I see nothing wrong with someone else "fixing" it.