Rediculious Event: Number Game????

AtoZ

3 pages of discussion for something so trivial. I have to be indoors right now but most of you don't need to. Enjoy your weekend outdoors. That's the whole reason why the site was designed in the first place.

Snide.

Minimizing the opinions expressed here. Generalized contempt. Not cool.

Not Snarky, temperamental. :)

I still don't understand why they can't have there own temp Event Cache icon

much like a moun10bike coin

but then i got this reply from

keystone

Please don't bother advocating for a "temporary event cache" cache type. One of the reasons that temporary caches are prohibited under the site's listing guidelines is the undue burden that falls upon the volunteer reviewers. It is a lot of work to review 25 temporary caches and get them listed in time for the event, only to see them archived shortly afterwards. Temporary caches won't get their own cache pages. If a group wants to hide them though, have at it and have fun.

but that would make it so they can log it as a cache for the event

so like

(cacher name)

found (temp cache) at (event name)

3 pages of discussion for something so trivial. I have to be indoors right now but most of you don't need to. Enjoy your weekend outdoors. That's the whole reason why the site was designed in the first place.

I think I speak for everyone on the forums and IRC when I say "We'd be caching if we could!" :)

Oh, also...

he average person posting has somewhere in the 200-500 finds range, yet has 1000+ forum posts in the year or more they've been caching. Hmmmm...am I going to listen to those who talk about it, or those who are out there doing it?

Posting in the forum takes seconds, whereas finding a cache can take anywhere from five minutes to more than a day. Most people who use the forums have more posts than finds. For the most part I'm staying out of this particular debate, but the number of posts someone has versus the number of finds is of little value to your arguement.

Edited by Tidalflame
Yes, temporary caches are just like regular caches in that you find them the same way. I can see wanting to log them as finds also. But why would you want to log them as "attended" on an Event page?

Because there is no other way to log them. Actually, since some people seem to feel that they shouldn't qualify as regular caches, logging them as "attended" at least seperates them from the regular caches in your stats. It would be better if you could log "event finds" or "temp event cache finds" instead, but we don't have that option.

Id rather just forget those temporary cache logs than to screw up my stats and thereby make them meaningless!

I don't understand that. How are my stats meaningless?

List of items found (All Cache Finds)

Name Count

Traditional Caches* 37

Event Caches* 56

Travel Bug Dog Tags 3

*Total Caches Found 93

Notice- it says "Event Caches", not "Events Attended".

It is pretty obvious what I have done. I have found 37 regular caches, and 56 at an event- one more click will tell you how many events I was at.

My total caches found is at 93, that is accurate for how many caches I have found- 37 regular caches, and 56 at events.

To me, that is more accurate and meaningful than if I only had the 37 + 1 for the event.

Why can't the globetrotters play pro?

I am afraid you lost me there.

By the strictest defenition, they do play pro- they do get paid for it (pretty well I would imagine). I am sure you mean why aren't they in the NBA, though.

I think the response you are looking for is because they don't play according to the rules. That is true, their style of play would not be allowed in a regular NBA game.

But, does the style of play used by the Globetrotters taske away from the fun of a regular NBA game? I think not.

To relate it back to Geocaching, we are not professionals. We don't get world Championship rings, we don't get paid to geocache. It is a game, just for fun, and whether or not a person has 2 find or 2000 effects nobody but that individual, especcially since in this case they are not really bogus logs, just ones that the logging system is controversial.

Edited by Docapi
i can see that no one read my last post :)

if they only had there own icon

I see you read but didn't comprehend where you were told why your idea wouldn't work. A seperate icon for temp caches would require the temp caches to be listed here like any other cache so they would have a page to log. How would you like to have to spend hours and hours to check 50 cache pages to make sure they meet all the guidelines, only to have them all archived after 1 day? Thats why they wont list temp caches here, and the reason why people log them the way they currently do.

Edited by Mopar
If I go log 1000 finds on a single cache, I challenge anyone to give me a legitimate way that this hurts you....

Think about it then you might have the start of the answer.

They spent too much time geocaching and not enough time practicing?

Could someone please show me how to post a cache find in geocaching.com that is not listed on geocaching.com? Allowing this seems to be a rather large flaw in logic. IMHO

They didn't exactly log caches that were not listed on GC.com. They logged the listed event numerous times to account for the caches they found at the event that wasn't listed.

El Diablo

Just as I suspected. Thank you.

its the fact that it will work

just to have something that says that they found it

i don;t think you know what i am thinking

you are do know they have them evey year

so why not have a icon to show it??

Sigh

Tell ya what. I'll give ya a list of 100 sets of coords, all crammed in one area. Your job, as the local cache reviewer, is to plot every one of those on a map, making sure they dont violate any geocaching guidelines. I'll forget to include the coords on some multis, and some needed info for puzzles, and some are going to have to be moved, so you and I will probably have to exchange a bunch of email. It will probably take you several days, working for a few hours a day, to check all this out. Then, after you spend a week of your time checking everything and getting it just right, I'm going to archive the cache the very next day. All that work, and all those wasted waypoints, for one day. Next week there is an event somewhere else, so do it all over again. Of, dont forget, you still have all the other caches to approve (some busy states get several hundred each weekend. ) Check the event list. Dozens of events every week. All that added work just so you can have a different icon.

Edited by Mopar

I am guessing that what you are thinking is to have a "temp cache found" option when logging on an event page- all of the caches would be logged on the one page- and then have an Icon that would reflect those logs.

I do think that would be a great idea, it is one of the suggestions I made in an earlier post. It would make it so the approver would not have to go throught the approval process with each of the temp caches at the event, and then have to archive them all again.

I dunno if is would be possible, though. The Icons might be based on the Cache or Event page icon, without the ability to differentiate between different types of logs on that page.

I do think it would solve the controversy, though. Of course, the problem with that would be that the forums might get pretty boring. :)

I am afraid you lost me there.

By the strictest defenition, they do play pro- they do get paid for it (pretty well I would imagine). I am sure you mean why aren't they in the NBA, though.

I think the response you are looking for is because they don't play according to the rules. That is true, their style of play would not be allowed in a regular NBA game.

But, does the style of play used by the Globetrotters taske away from the fun of a regular NBA game? I think not....

After reading that I don't think I lost you at all.

The NBA doesn't track the globetrotters stats for all the reasons you identified. They still play basketball but it's a just different enough to where they stand on their own.

We are still forming community standards for this activity. Sooner or later one way, or the other way, will win out. When I started this game a log was nice but optional. Now it's mandatory and so is signing it. That's the community standard for what goes in a cache and what constitutes a find.

You did make a good point. At least attending the event 100 times keeps the finds out of the real caches

I am guessing that what you are thinking is to have a "temp cache found" option when logging on an event page- all of the caches would be logged on the one page- and then have an Icon that would reflect those logs.

I do think that would be a great idea, it is one of the suggestions I made in an earlier post. It would make it so the approver would not have to go throught the approval process with each of the temp caches at the event, and then have to archive them all again.

I dunno if is would be possible, though. The Icons might be based on the Cache or Event page icon, without the ability to differentiate between different types of logs on that page.

I do think it would solve the controversy, though. Of course, the problem with that would be that the forums might get pretty boring. :)

thats what i am saying

A different log type icon on the event page itself would solve nothing. It would still clutter up the event page. It would still register as 100 "finds" on the same event in all your stats. You still wouldnt know what cache the log was for. Oh, and most important to Chucky, the event organizer would still get "spammed" with 100 emails from each person.

Edited by Mopar

A different log type icon on the event page itself would solve nothing. It would still clutter up the event page. It would still register as 100 "finds" on the same event in all your stats. You still wouldnt know what cache the log was for.

and thats not all ready like that??

with all the attended logs???

and are you saying the loggers are stupid

you typ in the cache name or the number.. dua :)

Edited by Charles Iverson
A different log type icon on the event page itself would solve nothing. It would still clutter up the event page. It would still register as 100 "finds" on the same event in all your stats. You still wouldn't know what cache the log was for.

and thats not all ready like that??

with all the attended logs???

and are you saying the loggers are stupid

you typ in the cache name dua :)

OK, so you admit it would not fix one single so-called problem with logging temp caches on event pages, yet you still think it's a good idea to spend time, money, and resources to program in an icon for a log type the site does not officially endorse.

I can't argue with logic like that! Good night!

It would still clutter up the event page.

That would be up to the Event organizer to decide if they wanted the page cluttered up like that.

It would still register as 100 "finds" on the same event in all your stats.

Yup, so the stats would be completely accurate. My stats would show 1 event attended, and 56 Temp Event Caches. No more confusion, no more accusations of "inflating" or "cheating" in my logs.

You still wouldnt know what cache the log was for.

Good point, here. But at least you would know they were Temp cache logs from an event. You would have to read the logs themselves to get the name of the cache. Is knowing the name of each cache that somebody has found really important, though? Especially since the cache would no longer exist?

Oh, and most important to Chucky, the event organizer would still get "spammed" with 100 emails from each person.

Again, that would be part of the decision that the event organizer would have to take into consideration when they decide to allow logging the Temps at the Event.

Edited by Docapi
if they only had there own icon

Maybe someone mentioned this but if temporary cache finding at events is going to continue I would be tempted to place a permanent cache either in the park or just outside side if park rules prevent it.

I would name it something like "____ Event Cache" (fill in the blank). People could use that one to log all their event caches (multiple finds for this page) and then they would all show up as regular finds instead of events. It would remain in place after the event as a permanent cache. No additional burden on the local approver.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Yup, so the stats would be completely accurate. My stats would show 1 event attended, and 56 Temp Event Caches. No more confusion, no more accusations of "inflating" or "cheating" in my logs.

No it wouldnt, thats the point you and chuck have missed. Since you are logging it on the event page, it would still count as events attended in your stats. Adding the ability to record and track multiple cache type finds on the same page would probably entail a MAJOR reworking of the current database and a large portion of the website. I would doubt that a feature like that would have been programmed in for future expansion.

And all that time that could be spent adding to and improving the useful features (like the new locationless and virtual section) would instead be diverted to a cache type that is not officially supported and a practice that is only common in a few regions of the world.

No it wouldnt, thats the point you and chuck have missed. Since you are logging it on the event page, it would still count as events attended in your stats. Adding the ability to record and track multiple cache type finds on the same page would probably entail a MAJOR reworking of the current database and a large portion of the website. I would doubt that a feature like that would have been programmed in for future expansion.

And all that time that could be spent adding to and improving the useful features (like the new locationless and virtual section) would instead be diverted to a cache type that is not officially supported and a practice that is only common in a few regions of the world.

You never made that point, so I couldn't have missed it. You went on about the local approver having to approve all of the temp caches, nothing about programming issues related to having different icons on one page.

I actually did say that in my earlier post:

I am no programmer, so I have no idea if it would be feasible to do. However, if it were feasible I think it would help to alleviate the controversy.

mopar..

get your head..... i was going to say something but then i will be removed from the forums for good

a cache type that is not officially supported and a practice that is only common in a few regions of the world.

for now at lest look to the road ahead!!

a new way to play the event part of the game

wait a sec....

so the posts the users put on here that says that they place temp caches during a event

don;t meen any thing from what u are saying

and jeremy does not like his users happy???

lets hear from him on this!!!

since he does own the site!!!

You never made that point, so I couldn't have missed it. You went on about the local approver having to approve all of the temp caches, nothing about programming issues related to having different icons on one page.

I am no programmer, so I have no idea if it would be feasible to do. However, if it were feasible I think it would help to alleviate the controversy.

The only feasable way to get the temp caches counted in your stats correctly would to get them listed like any other cache. Then you would be able to properly track your temp cache finds. To do that, temp caches would have to be reviewed and listed like any other cache. As was stated way up near the top of the thread, the site isnt about to do that for a cache that only exists for one day. Thats why they have a rule about caches must be active for at least 3 months.

The only feasable way to get the temp caches counted in your stats correctly would to get them listed like any other cache. Then you would be able to properly track your temp cache finds. To do that, temp caches would have to be reviewed and listed like any other cache. As was stated way up near the top of the thread, the site isnt about to do that for a cache that only exists for one day. Thats why they have a rule about caches must be active for at least 3 months.

why are you going on about you haveing to review the event temp caches??

do you have to review every moun10bike geocoin before it gos out???

you put a icon on the event's cache page that says found temp cache

you will not have any work to do on reviewing them

its just a icon that says found cache at event

and jeremy does not like his users happy???

Sigh.

Chucky, you must be one cute looking kid. I can't imagine any other reason you've lived this long.

In your own duplicate thread the other day, you got Jeremy's take on this. To paraphrase; he doesnt mind the way it's currently done. It's up to the event cache owner, and I havent seen any of them complaining its a problem.

...for now at lest look to the road ahead!!

a new way to play the event part of the game

....and jeremy does not like his users happy???

Jeremy is on record saying he really doesn't care if people do that. I doubt anything we debate here will change the site.

However out of these debates and discussions come the community standards for the game. That's the point of keeping up with the thread.

His (Mopar's) point is that it might be impossible or extremely difficult to do the programming that would be required to make it possible for the Temp caches to show up as a different Icon in the stats.

He has a very valid point. I have no Idea what it would take.

OT: Mopar, I just clicked the Human Rights link in your sig. I am liking you better all the time! :)

Edited by Docapi

:) the word might.. yes it might be to hard to put somthing like that on here but lets get the input from jeremy

the problem might come up as more as users find out that it might be fun to place temp caches at there events

yes i know that they are not offical caches

but people still log them...

and its just is confusing to other users that why do these people log so many attended posts just to log a cache

cheating??

well it is a cache that the event owner put up just for the event

so you can log it

right??

right but it might be more easy to put a icon as i have been saying on the drop down to say temp cache so you can still log the cache in the event cache like they are all ready doing it but with a icon saying they found a cache

edit as i sat here waiting here for a reply i found errors

His (Mopar's) point is that it might be impossible or extremely difficult to do the programming that would be required to make it possible for the Temp caches to show up as a different Icon in the stats.

Not if the site was written well. I don't know whether or not it was, though.

The point is irrelevant. Temp caches aren't allowed on the site. And as I indicated in countless threads in the past, I think logging attended twice for an event is stupid, and posting additional logs to "match" whatever "count" you determined your numbers should be is equally stupid. However I have no plans to be the point police and create complicated rules for determining what counts as a find. That is up to the cache listing owner to decide.

However I do reserve the right to stop abuse on this web site, and frown highly upon fake logs on archived caches (or any cache) just to boost numbers here - such as counting finds on other listing sites. Just because I don't want to be the point police doesn't mean I can't take appropriate action against the users who decide to abuse the features of this site.

But as I also said before, I don't lose sleep over it. I stand by my stance that there are no "points" for geocaching and no score to be kept. The site does not keep score but simply offers a history of your finds.

Jeremy,Jun 6 2005, 09:00 AM The point is irrelevant. Temp caches aren't allowed on the site. And as I indicated in countless threads in the past, I think logging attended twice for an event is stupid, and posting additional logs to "match" whatever "count" you determined your numbers should be is equally stupid. However I have no plans to be the point police and create complicated rules for determining what counts as a find. That is up to the cache listing owner to decide.

However I do reserve the right to stop abuse on this web site, and frown highly upon fake logs on archived caches (or any cache) just to boost numbers here - such as counting finds on other listing sites. Just because I don't want to be the point police doesn't mean I can't take appropriate action against the users who decide to abuse the features of this site.

I agree.

But as I also said before, I don't lose sleep over it. I stand by my stance that there are no "points" for geocaching and no score to be kept. The site does not keep score but simply offers a history of your finds.

There are no "points" for geocaching? You mean, all along I have been living a lie? :D

Dave

Edited by GPS_DAVE_11735
Not if the site was written well.  I don't know whether or not it was, though.

I can say that geocaching.com is the best Rubbermaid Management System on the market, thankyouverymuch.

I for one hate "structured programing". When I was programing, I wrote programs my way, I knew where everything was... in college they tried to teach us structured programing and I hated it.

"Best rubbermade management system" :D

Dave

Early on when GC numbers were becoming rare, events where asked to not submit pages for caches that would not be around very long. Just log them on the event page and save GC numbers. So thats what events did.

I even attended one event where the caches where placed weeks before the event to give others a chance to find them but they had no seperate page as thats what GC.com wanted. They were real caches with log sheets, trade items and even 1 mile hikes. Yes I counted the ones I found and even had a no find for one I couldn't. That was my choice.

Later I did an event that had many simple caches that probally could have been used as 3-4 multis but the owner made the rules and I logged them by thier rules.

Now I just don't do event caches. Too much a pain to get by all thoughs that think I should cache by thier rules. Plus there are always enough other cache to get my fix.

Team Sand Dollar

I don't think anybody is advocating the option to list temporary caches.

I know what I was suggesting was adding an option when logging on an event page in the drop down list like "Event Cache Found" or something similar. When it shows in our stats it could have a different icon for caches found at events.

1. All the caches found at an event could be counted. (for the people that feel a cache is a cache)

2. They would be seperated from the regular caches in our stats. (for the people that feel event caches are not the same as a regular cache)

3. The approvers wouldn't get swamped with cache approvals for the events

4. The server wouldn't get bogged down with tons of extra pages when an event occurs.

5. Events held at places that would not allow a permanent cache would still be able to have caches at them that would count for something.

6. There would only need to be one "attended" log for each event.

It seems to me that it would be a "win, win" situation for everybody.

As I said before, though, I dunno how the programming would work or if it is feasible.

I think that is the point that I am trying to make. I had 56 finds at the event, and by logging them, they show up in my history.They are a part of my geocaching history.

Since we are not in a competition, and we are not awarded points for finds, It would seem to me that whether or not they count the same as a regular cache would be irrelevant.

Edited by Docapi
I know what I was suggesting was adding an option when logging on an event page in the drop down list like "Event Cache Found" or something similar. When it shows in our stats it could have a different icon for caches found at events.

No. No temporary caches. No special log type. No "count" find for caches found during an event. I don't know how much clearer I need to be.

It seems to me that it would be a "win, win" situation for everybody.

No. No temporary caches. No special log type. No "count" find for caches found during an event. I don't know how much clearer I need to be.

LOL, OK, maybe not everybody. :D

...I think that is the point that I am trying to make. I had 56 finds at the event, and by logging them, they show up in my history.They are a part of my geocaching history. ...

You attended one event with a bunch of activities among which were 56 temp caches. Where I attended a similar event but due to nothing more than owner custom I attended the event and my history has to be told in the event cache log. Just like you did come to think of it, only I merely attended the event once and used a not for the rest of the story.

Some people meet to go caching. They use existing caches and log those. Interestingly enough if you meet entirely to go find caches together you can't get your event approved. Events require something other than caches to be an event at all.

Here the debate is the opposite. You did a bunch of caches that would not qualify as "the event" but to get your finds to balance (ignoring that finding a non listable cache is another point of debate) you have to find the event many times.

Since there is no rule for what would be temp cache for an event it could be as simple as finding your plate, your assigned seat, a marathon cache session, poker or whatever. The point being the caches themselves need not meet any standard, including land owner rules and regs. Because you can find illegal caches or your beer I really don't think it should be counted. If they list the event caches later... by all means log it.

After four pages of this discussion I have drifted over to the hardliners side almost completely. I'm sure there are many happy temp event cachers that we have not heard from that could offer new information that might convince some of us to live and let live. Maybe they will someday. But for now:

I like creative approaches and a give wide berth to rule interpretations when the intent is in balance with the spirit of the game.

I would not, however, feel good about logging any cache more than once to record finds of temporary caches on the scale of this example. It just doesn't look right.

If management believes this practice is an abuse then I would not participate in it.

If management decided to prevent this practice by writing code that allows only one find per cache page I would support that decision but would hope that it would not be retroactive. There are a few instances where logging a cache more than once is appropriate but perhaps losing that privilege would be a small price to pay for overall continuity of the game.

If I go log 1000 finds on a single cache, I challenge anyone to give me a legitimate way that this hurts you.

My numbers are important to me, and I've gotten them the old fashioned way - one at a time.

People who log 100 event cache finds aren't playing a "different game", or "the same game a different way" - they're playing the same game as I am and cheating at it.

If I go log 1000 finds on a single cache, I challenge anyone to give me a legitimate way that this hurts you.

My numbers are important to me, and I've gotten them the old fashioned way - one at a time.

People who log 100 event cache finds aren't playing a "different game", or "the same game a different way" - they're playing the same game as I am and cheating at it.

So, their numbers are important to you too, then..not just your own?

What about the person who doesn't even log their caches online? What's the score in that game for you? Are they cheating you too? Clearly they're making it nearly impossible to accurately compare their numbers to your's (the same issue you're having with someone with too many "finds")...

Or is it just that 100-finds-per-event people have *more* than you that makes this a problem since you insist on forcing them to "play the same game as you"?

And then there's the team totals accounts!? Oh man, just when you thought everyone was playing the same game and not even cheating...it turns out that they've been counting a bunch of people's different experiences under the same name and calling it "their count"!

In other words, you can't create some ruleset in your head and impose that will upon someone else and then consider it damaging to you when they don't hold true to your unagreed-upon rules. Er...well, I guess you *can*...but for your own sanity, should you really?

Id rather just forget those temporary cache logs than to screw up my stats and thereby make them meaningless!

I don't understand that. How are my stats meaningless?

List of items found (All Cache Finds)

Name Count

Traditional Caches* 37

Event Caches* 56

Travel Bug Dog Tags 3

*Total Caches Found 93

Notice- it says "Event Caches", not "Events Attended".

It is pretty obvious what I have done. I have found 37 regular caches, and 56 at an event- one more click will tell you how many events I was at.

My total caches found is at 93, that is accurate for how many caches I have found- 37 regular caches, and 56 at events.

To me, that is more accurate and meaningful than if I only had the 37 + 1 for the event.

Well, unless someone goes to digging deeper, your information is sure misleading. Its showing that you found 56 Event caches which is certainly not true!

You attended one event with a bunch of activities among which were 56 temp caches. Where I attended a similar event but due to nothing more than owner custom I attended the event and my history has to be told in the event cache log. Just like you did come to think of it, only I merely attended the event once and used a not for the rest of the story.

Exactly! As i said before, these temporary caches are hidden like regular caches and offer the finder a fun experience while at the event. But they are not approved geocaches and therefore dont have a place in my stats. Yes, they are lots of fun, but i could care less about logging them.

On the other arguement,,, Travelbugs, Geocoins, and Moun10bike coins are not caches and dont come up as a total on your caches found.

Hey guys,

I won the pigging contest, I won the cooking contest and the sack race in the last event I attended. I also found a terracache too!

I am going back to the event log and post 4 additional "attended" notes so I those can get recognition. I came home with a cache in my pants, should I post that as an "attended" log as well?

:D:D:D

Dave

Or is it just that 100-finds-per-event people have *more* than you that makes this a problem since you insist on forcing them to "play the same game as you"?

You have it backwards. I'm not forcing them to play the same game as me, they are choosing to concentrate on numbers and then cheating at how they accumulate them. If numbers matter to someone, then they should get them legitimately. If they don't do so, then they are cheating.

If numbers matter to someone, then they should get them legitimately. If they don't do so, then they are cheating.

Calling this activity "Cheating" is perhaps a bit too harsh. Cheating would be like logging a cache you did not attempt to find.

These people placed and found real container caches using the normal methods. It is the reporting of those finds that many of us are having trouble with. It is just a point of order and they are making logical arguments in favor of the practice. A person couldn't very well make an argument supporting logging a find for a cache they did not attempt to find (some minor exceptions apply).

You have it backwards. I'm not forcing them to play the same game as me, they are choosing to concentrate on numbers and then cheating at how they accumulate them. If numbers matter to someone, then they should get them legitimately. If they don't do so, then they are cheating.

You can't eat your cake and have it too.

You can't define numbers as "one find per cache" as per the way you choose to total your numbers and then also define it as "multiple finds per event to include temporary caches" and then say that they've cheated the "one find per cache" rule.

If they choose to accumulate numbers by multiple logs on a single event, then their numbers are just as legitimate as a count for their purposes as your numbers are to you for your purposes. You just can't directly compare the two.

It's like someone saying they've found 100 caches and you've found 7 found caches. Oh wait, did I forget to mention that the first cacher in this situation is counting in binary? So, they've found 4 caches once everything is in the same base.

As long as they don't claim that 100 (binary) is greater than 7 (decimal), then it's not cheating, just a different way of counting. You count events as 1, no more, no less. They count events as a multiple based on how many caches they found at the event. It's not cheating, just a different way of counting events. As long as they don't claim their count is higher than your count, they're not cheating you in the least.

Maybe im a tad slow, but I still dont get the whole cheating concept here. My find count has no bearing whatsoever on your enjoyment of caching.

I could go right now and log 1000 finds on a cache of mine and you can still go pick up your GPS and hunt tupperware.

Someone inflating their numbers has no negative impact on the rest of us.