Simply Paul Tb Race

It was too hot for them down there: they're heading home now. I didn't make it to Casablanca, but I hope my little companions enjoyed the small diversion anyway. I noted the Simply Paul caches from my vantage point at about 30000 feet as I passed by on Friday evening, but they were just a tiny amount out of reach.

Team Blacowe's champagne party next!

Edited by Happy Humphrey

You DONT have to nominate the additional country!! Any one will do. We wanted to make it hard, but not nigh on impossible -

Alibags

This seems to have been circumvented by one cacher taking it upon himself to have the bugs collected, visit other countries logging bugs in and out and now arranging their collection to go onwards, This was not as I understand it in the spirit of the race or we could have got Bob Smith to bring them all back with him!!

mutter mutter :blink::(:D

Bob

If I recall correctly, we were all griping about how long the TBs had been in caches without any movement (the "It's not an anorak, it's a paint drying competition" thread). Happy Humphrey knew someone who was going to the area, and he asked them if they could help the race along a bit.

When the TBs turned up in the Isle Of Man, there was some disgruntlement that the IOM was considered another country, so HH has relocated the bugs to southern Spain.

Since no-one handling the TBs is participating in the race, it shouldn't be a problem, although I would have hoped the bugs would get split up a bit before getting back in groups.

I think there'll still be plenty of time for the others to catch up.

Nick

It didn't seem fair for me to split them up at this stage, and it was nice having the company (how sad!) so I kept them together for this little tour. If I'd placed them in different IOM caches, the chances are that one of them would have been picked up and made it to its target before any of the others had moved off the island.

I think they'll be split up at the weekend, although I've not given the new guardians any particular instructions or advice (and it was by chance that I encountered them at the cache!). So the bugs may make their natural way back to the UK from there - but perhaps one of the others will turn up at Heathrow and outflank them...

I'll ignore Bob's "sour grapes" post. :blink:

HH

I'll ignore Bob's "sour grapes" post. :blink:

There are no sour grapes - my opinion would have been the same whether I was involved in the "race"or not - They were collected given to you taken to spain and returned in your possesion and reading the latest post you've negotiated their removAl back to england

If it was my bug I would have still complained of this.

Mutter mutter

Please feel free to ignore my opinion but dont judge me by your standards and put it down to sour grapes - COZ IT AINT

BOB

:(

Bob,

:P

Sorry if the "sour grapes" reference was wide of the mark - it just looked that way as I'm sure you must appreciate.

you've negotiated their removAl back to england

Nope, I was in possession of the bugs in order to drop them into a cache which I was sure would be popular over the next few days (as it's new)...and to leave them there!

Mrs. H and I bumped into the other (retreating) geocachers (Procky) on a footpath on the way to the final stage, and persuaded them to turn around and have another attempt, with our help.

As I signed the log, I mentioned that I was going to drop the bugs off there - or did they want to take them. As it appeared that the Prockies could assist with the travel bugs' mission, and were willing to help, it would have been a bit silly to refuse to allow them to take the bugs, to leave them in the cache and forbid the Prockies from picking them up.

As Nick points out, the race was somewhat less than entertaining for quite a while and this has livened it up a bit! It's amusing that you credit me with the power to "arrange" to have the bugs picked up from Queensland and brought to the Isle of Man. :blink:

Ozetraveller was going to Perth, Mackay and Townsville and was intent on picking up travel bugs: OK, I told her about the race bugs, but should I have asked her to AVOID them? She would probably have picked some up anyway if I said nothing as Townsville was awash with them. :blink:

As for dropping them off in Spain and picking them up again - that was just fun for me and them (and hopefully the owners), and gave a little more time for the others to catch up (I can't help it if they're slow!).

I'll keep on watching the race with interest: now I don't have the bugs, I'm going to put a bet on Nemo to win (what odds can anyone give me?). I don't have any inside knowledge, by the way!

HH

:rolleyes:

Well its only a game after all , Involving plastic blobs with aluminum tags on them. I personally think it was very nice of Bob to take time out placing them for our enjoyment.(Thanks Bob) I will admit to being somewhat suprised at the apparent lack of cachers in Australia though ! , It appears theres only 5 cachers hehehe.

Perhaps a homeland race next time ? Involving tbs visiting EVERY county within the uk ???? , that would not involve us relying on the Aussies :D .

Well its only a game after all , Involving plastic blobs with aluminum tags on them.

TDW.

Some of us have 'class' and have moved up the TB evolutionary scale and have produced them made of Brass! Solid at that, too.

Does this make me a TB Geo Snob?

:D:D;)

Edited by SenseiTSKC

Luckily, disaster has been averted, although it was touch and go.

Glamorous Manx cachers Team Blacowe were in the Lake District as well, doing the same caches as Procky without knowing about the Procky bug-drops (I missed the champagne party so never got chance to warn her).

By a miracle, they didn't pick up any of the race bugs (...phew...I would have been blamed for sure...) as they cut the caching short due to excess chocolate! ;)

HH

Things are really hotting up at the other end of the race too....

Competition for the REAL prize (the wooden spoon) has never been more intense. Eight brave travel bugs (including our own Anoraknophobia) battle it out in a quest for status, honor and ultimate victory...

The tension is mounting - who will crack first?

Excitement like this has rarely been seen before in any arena of human activity!

I can hardly stand the tension! I think I need a lie down...

(I'll get my coat) :D

HOORAY!!!

At last, the wonderful BelKen has rescued the stranded bugs in Paluma Cache in Townsville and our dear bug, along with its fellow strandees, is on its way to Western Australia on Sunday :ph34r::mad::lol: .

He wrote on the log "I have come over from Perth on a lightning visit. For those Poms watching the cache it is not just to get your stranded bugs but I did take time out to race up the hill just to stop all the crying."

We had given up crying a long time ago :rolleyes:

OOOH I'm all excited now. It would be really funny if one of these bugs won!!! :lol:

Yeah, perhaps I should offer a FREE UK GEOCOIN to any lovely Aussie cachers who go there and rescue any trapped bugs. :unsure:

(somebody should tell BelKen that the correct expression for us poms is 'whingeing' not 'crying', tsk!)

oy ! no bribing the hired help

im near to a race bug tommorow hehehe im sure no one will suspect any of my three secret agents :rolleyes: they are all so quiet and well behaved :unsure:

Can't understand why the Mout Stuart cache hasn't been visited, it's about 300m from the car park, and the car park is at the end of a sealed road!

Glad to hear the Paluma cache has been visited, thought I was going to have to get my daughter to rescue the bugs

Bob

Well that's just great. Everyone is now up and running and off the mark...

Except us <_<

I was actually having a good look at how the bugs were doing only yesterday and felt really sorry for Bekandian as five of the TBs were dropped in a cache together and the finder took four of them - leaving poor old Tank behind.

How unlucky is that?

Never mind Bekandian - mine was picked up quite early but still is over in Oz, so I'm not making that much progress either!

Russ

Well it looks like mine is finally on the move and should be in Perth late tomorrow. Unfortunatly it will just be missing a lift to the USA by a few hours, but movement at last. I was about to give up hope.

Edited by 2202

Reflective Clown made it to its target cache first - I think! :)

The bad news for Third Degree Witch is that the Alawi have picked up the bug :) and, having assumed that the race is now over, are now taking it abroad - to "sunnier climes" (again!). I think this may be a sabotage mission rather than a misunderstanding though - rumour has it that the Alawi have just purchased a Ferrari cachemobile, handing over a wad of fifty pound notes they'd just "found" in an alibag.

:)

This means the bug hasn't made it to GCN8JQ, so it appears that the race is still on...

HH :)

It seems that my tb 'Reflective clown' has now made it to the finishing line !..Thanks to all the cachers who have helped it on its way, But in particular to ''We're The Alarwi'' who made the effort to get it past the finishing line..I hereby hand the winners laurels to them as they deserve them 100%..My thanks go out to them ;)

bb

Third-degree-witch.

I'm pleased that reflective Clown won the race, as I took it to Luton from the Lake District, I was only there for a short while and it nearly came back to Scotland with me. But I got up early on my departure day, and to the frowns of Mrs HH I said, I can't take it back to Edinburgh it's in a race and needs to be left here, so out I went, dropped him off and then picked up the rest of The HH Clan for a long drive home. I feel a lot better now :);)

I'm pleased that reflective Clown won the race, as I took it to Luton from the Lake District, I was only there for a short while and it nearly came back to Scotland with me. But I got up early on my departure day, and to the frowns of Mrs HH I said, I can't take it back to Edinburgh it's in a race and needs to be left here, so out I went, dropped him off and then picked up the rest of The HH Clan for a long drive home. I feel a lot better now :D  ;)

******* :) And mine has only just got out the starting blocks!