Cache Container Question

Since water getting into cache containers can be such a problem, I was thinking. Assuming the area the cache is in won't flood or puddle, what if you put several holes in the bottom of the container to drain any water that does come in. I think this would work, but does anyone have an real world experiences with this?

The holes would probably allow water to drain out (assuming the finder replaces the cache with the holes facing down, not up). Items inside the container might plug or block the holes, eliminating the drainange.

Those same drill holes would also allow things to get into the container: bugs, slugs, moisture/dew

- my 2 cents

Edited by MountainMudbug
I think a better idea is to use containers that won't let water get into them in the first place.

I've heard it said that it's easier to let water out than to keep it out, but in the case of a container sitting on the ground, it probably will do more harm than good, letting water (and other things) in. Certainly a solid ammo can is better than one with drain holes.

That said, I can see drain holes working for something like a suspended film container.

Someone gave us a set of the round lock n locks the other day.  I put the lid on one and closed all four tabs.  One promptly popped back up.  I pushed it down again.  It popped back up.  I pushed it down again.  It popped back up.  I threw it in the trash can.  :D

I have been very happy with the lock and locks that I used. They made it through Nebraska winter freeze and then summer heating without a crack or any moisture problems. I also never had a problem with the tabs. I wonder if you got a defective one??? I have seen comments that sometimes a cacher will break a tab, although I did not have that problem. In the end I prefer ammo cans though. But a clear container can be desirable in some areas and I think lock and locks are about the best for that there.

I don't know about holes in a container. As was pointed out, that could let other things in. Plus if water puddles up it will get in too. I also wonder about condensation in a humid area. An ammo can is almost always water-tight and things can be put in baggies just to be sure. With other containers the baggies also help a lot.

Edited by carleenp

One of my caches is a metal can, cylinder shaped, 4" diameter, 7" high. It hangs in a bush, by an attached hanger, and is very camo. However, a small amount of rain water would get into it. I put a couple of small holes in the bottom and this works well. Noting the above comments, and my situation, it is not on the ground. The log book is in a zip lock bag and stays dry. Also, there is no freeze here, and in most years, very little rain.......

One of my caches is a metal can, cylinder shaped, 4" diameter, 7" high. It hangs in a bush, by an attached hanger, and is very camo. However, a small amount of rain water would get into it. I put a couple of small holes in the bottom and this works well. Noting the above comments, and my situation, it is not on the ground. The log book is in a zip lock bag and stays dry. Also, there is no freeze here, and in most years, very little rain.......

Yeah, I could see that working for a suspended cache.

I bought my first Lock n Lock today & noticed it has a lifetime guarantee. Just hang on to the receipt & cut out the model # from the bottom. If it breaks I'll at least have a new one for 37 cents. :D

Oooh! Nice! I have several sitting right near me. I will do that befoe using them!

I think a better idea is to use containers that won't let water get into them in the first place.

I've heard it said that it's easier to let water out than to keep it out, but in the case of a container sitting on the ground, it probably will do more harm than good, letting water (and other things) in. Certainly a solid ammo can is better than one with drain holes.

That said, I can see drain holes working for something like a suspended film container.

I agree with this. Condensation can cause a problem. Rain also can cause a problem. You have just given me an idea for a problem cache of mine. It tends to get wet and that I can't cure, but I can at least drill a hole and let it dry out.

I bought my first Lock n Lock today & noticed it has a lifetime guarantee. Just hang on to the receipt & cut out the model # from the bottom. If it breaks I'll at least have a new one for 37 cents. <_<

I can imagine leaving it out in the bushes all year might void the warranty... no?

Someone gave us a set of the round lock n locks the other day. I put the lid on one and closed all four tabs. One promptly popped back up. I pushed it down again. It popped back up. I pushed it down again. It popped back up. I threw it in the trash can. <_<

You must have gotten a warped one.

I'm building a boat, I think I'll put holes in the bottom in case water gets in.

Most boats I've been in do have holes to let water out. They're just normally plugged until the boat is in a place where there isn't more water outside the hole than inside. There are holes that let water leave my street and my basement. They have the potential to let water in as well -- pretty nasty water at that -- but I'd still rather have them than not.

The point is, there's a common sense factor here, not just a blanket yes or no. In general, no, it's not a good idea. Most caches on the ground have the potential to be sitting in moisture at some point, and not just from flooding and puddling as the OP suggested. Morning dew and even frequent fog could become a problem after a few weeks. But I know I've seen caches where the benefits of a few holes would have outweighed the liabilities.

I found a cache this week in a hollowed out log. It was covered in ants. The inside and contents were OK. It would have been a different story with holes.

Me too!

i was the second finder on the new container and it had ants all over it.

I don't think a drill hole would have worked because it was not moist inside. The ants can get out if they wanted to. I think a coat of clearcoat (on the inside) would have done more good for a log.

Joe Smith

I've seen various types of containers since I've started geocaching. I have never seen a wet ammo box yet. Most of the plastic containers have been dry providing winter hasn't cracked the plastic or being chewed by rodents. Most of the wet ones were caches with holes rather man-made, winter-made, or animal made. Had a metal tin the other day that had holes in it plus a very comfortable little slug. Holes would also let scent out from any non-sealed or scented items, attarcting animals.

I'm with the others - use a sealed cache - don't drill holes. I've seen earwigs and ants inside poorly sealed containers. One solution in a larger tupperware container I found was neat. It had a "tray" which sat in the bottom giving about 1/2" clearence and the swag was stored on top of the tray. When I made the find there was just a little water which I dumped out but all else remained dry.

There was a study done one time I read about (wish I could find the article) that the reason water proof containers and such get water in them when they are not submerged is because of the seals allowing water VAPOR in. If something is water tight, the seal can allow water vapor in due to the temperature difference inside the container causing a pressure difference. The pressure difference forces water vapor inside then when the temperature difference is right, that water vapor condenses.

I would think as long as the cache did not ever get submerged it might be a good idea, but if it ever has a chance to get submerged or totally soaked for any length of time, it would not be a good idea as others have pointed out.

I have found ammo containers with moisture inside before. Usually they are the ones sitting on the cold damp ground and I am sure the temp, pressure and vapor problem caused them to get wet inside.

So it would all depend on the location and what extremes you would expect.

I have one now that has a moisture problem but drilling a hole would be a bad idea because of the way it is hidden and designed. I know the moisture is coming from the temp extremes but I have no way to control that. Packs of desiccant are what I am leaning to on that one.

My experience has been that one of the biggest factors in a cache and its contents getting wet is cachers visiting the cache. People can drip into a cache, snow/rain falls into the cache, the lid gets put on incorrectly, etc.

nfa-jamie