Your Quick Opinion

jhwjohn

The obligatory reply is,

I've seen wooden nickles as trade items. Sand dollars should be of more value than that. :D

But seriously,

Im sure you can leave one an no one would complain (if it doesnt break) but I do think that you need something else as well.

Perhaps you can make the sand dollar your sig item.

I figure that since you ask, you must have a ready supply, or live by the coast, so you have more than a few.

You have no idea how much I hate threads about trading etiquette, but here goes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with trading sand dollars beyond the fact that they are somewhat fragile.

That being said, the important thing about a trade is that if one is going to trade, they do it somewhat equitably. While its true that valuation of trade items is difficult, one should not trade a pretty, but common, stone for a dvd. I realize that this advice is obvious, but some might not get it.

I would love to find a sand dollar in a cache. I love going to Florida when i was young and collecting them. Sadly now, there are many places where it is illegal to collect them. If you are able to bubble wrap them, maybe in a little box, that would be cool! There is also a sand dollar poem my grandma used to send me, but I think it might be religious, so maybe that is not appropriate for a cache. But I see no problem with the dollars in there!

Im sure you can leave one an no one would complain (if it doesnt break) but I do think that you need something else as well.

Perhaps you can make the sand dollar your sig item.

I figure that since you ask, you must have a ready supply, or live by the coast, so you have more than a few.

Yes i definatley only trade them for lil unvaluable plastic things just to remember an area by. If i were to trade for soemthing of value i would definately leave somethign else. And yea i got quite a few and have been leaving them everyweher i go. I was just wondering if toher people thoguht they were cool. Like someone said, i used to think they were but now i got so many of them they only sit in a box and now i thoguht they could be good for geocachign.

That being said, the important thing about a trade is that if one is going to trade, they do it somewhat equitably. While its true that valuation of trade items is difficult, one should not trade a pretty, but common, stone for a dvd. I realize that this advice is obvious, but some might not get it.

I Know i know i have heard it plenty of times. I only trade the sanddollars for lil plastic things that are of no value. If i were to ever trade for somehting else i leave cooler things dont worry.

I just wondering if other people that sanddollars were cool

I rather a sand dollar than a plastic piece of junk, I just recently picked a rock from a cache that came from mexico....it had a little story with it that made it neat.

I'm from Missouri, so a sand dollar would really interest my sons.

We picked a geo caching pin out of a cache, because it was from Iowa, ....those are the items that interest me most, not a gizmo.

I would consider sig items and trade items as 2 different things, unless the sig item serves a purpose other than being a sig item, such as maybe a small compass you have personalized in some way or something like that, otherwise a sig item should not be considered a trade item (unless of course you are trading for another sig item).

I would consider sig items and trade items as 2 different things, unless the sig item serves a purpose other than being a sig item, such as maybe a small compass you have personalized in some way or something like that, otherwise a sig item should not be considered a trade item (unless of course you are trading for another sig item).

Many sig items are also trade items. There are a lot of cacher that put out a sig items which are better than most items taken from a cache. Take a look at the MIGO sig item data base or the collection from Nurse Dave.

Generally I do trade for other sig items, other times I will grab forgein but generally I TN and leave sand dollar.

Team Sand Dollar

Yeah, using them as a trade item is fine if you are trading for another sig item, but lots of folks don't collect sig items and have no real interest in clay tokens / wooden nickels, etc. I for one find them interesting, but I don't collect them.

Yeah, using them as a trade item is fine if you are trading for another sig item, but lots of folks don't collect sig items and have no real interest in clay tokens / wooden nickels, etc. I for one find them interesting, but I don't collect them.

if it were a wooden nickel of signature card I would agree. But many use the same trade item every time and it becomes there sig item. One person here has been custom pating YoYos and another uses chainmail keychains. These I would consider perfectly good trade items. These are much better trade items than a dirty old golf ball. That is unless you are Trippy.

Team Sand Dollar

I agree with teamsanddollar...many sig items are way nicer and better than those Mc junk and dirty golf ball trade items! Some day I'll figure out something that I can use as trade/sig item that I can either craft (hehehe) or buy that will go with my nick. I think the sand dollar is just fine. :P

LOL i like that thought Bilbo. I have been using them ever since i started. I only started this, just for the fun of. i wnated to see everyones opinions. If everyone said no, then oh well.

Just be sure to protect them. When I first starting putting sand dollars in caches I didn't use the tins and most of them got broke before they were taken.

Team Sand Dollar