Who Is Mutato Nomine?

He's started what can only be described as the UK's most mysterious cache series (Light of Life: in principio and Light of Life: aude sapere). We are lucky and have so far kept up with him and his challenges. He of course may not be a him, he may be a her. All we can say is thank you for the intrege and challenge. I'm sure that people out there have their suspisions as to who it is, just wondered who was on your list. Heres our list of likely suspects:

Pieman, MaxKim, Lizzardman and Phoenix. We know 2 of these have logged finds but is it to put us off the scent?

Sorry, cannot thank him or her, but point out:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

from http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#perm

From what I can gather, the door is only temporarily closed. I think him/her/it/they is/are trying to add to the intrigue by setting out a series in stages. I would hope that after it's finished, they would all be open to all. We got the following email:

By your actions, my student, you have become one of the chosen.  You have passed through the first door that leads to the jyotirmaya.  That door has now closed for a time. 

The second door is about to open.  Remember the number you have found and add it to the number you must discover according to the text you will soon see; then take it with you as you seek the second door.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

No, Im fairly certain its not RJL, getting caught placing the cache would have been a tad embarassing for them.

For now Im going to rule out the idea that "changed name" would have logged his own cache, and Ive got two candidates, only one is on RJLs list and the other one has just this very moment promoted himself a little higher, since he has the literacy bent thats required, however, his distain of clues still makes him a second choice behind.....?

For now Im willing to see where this leeds, Im sure that if I wasnt one of the 'chosen' then I may be ticked off, but then again the cache was live for a month and fair warning was given from the start.

Well Klaus, popularity contests have never been my forte, and it seems you share my sarcastic streak.

I will certainly not discuss any moderator decisions in public, they are doing a fine job in difficult circumstances.

I see nowhere on the page where it says that a cacher must be available within a certain time period and I really do not think that it is fair to impose a time restriction.

OK, here's the deal. This is selfish, I know, I admit it. I'm stuck in Sweden as many of you know and one of my few pleasures at the moment is planning caches for when I return. OK, this is not your problem, and this is a REALLY sad hobby. I know. But right now it's all that I've got. To have caches disabled on a planned basis before I've have had the chance to look for them feels wrong.

I know what some of you are thinking:

GET A LIFE!

STOP WHINING!

WE GOT IT, WE DON'T CARE!

All valid points. Let's look at this from another point of view. Let's suppose that you:

1) Are a keen cacher

2) Work in a nice steady 9-5 office job, home every night at 5:17 on the dot, never worked a weekend in your life.

Firstly, I'm deeply jealous, good on ya.

Let's imagine that I set a really interesting cache one Monday morning and get it approved. Then on Monday afternoon at 4:55 I take it away and pop it back 9:05 Tuesday. Repeat until Friday, when I keep hold of it for the weekend. Monday morning, 9:05 back it goes. Just for kicks, I think I'll take it away from 12-2, just in case you have a lunch hour.

You'd be happy about it? you tell me....

Geostalking sounds fun, does he/she email directly to people ot through gc? :D

I think the logs would be handled by the police... maybe we are onto something here, if the police were to start a Geostalking website then finding stalkers would be a lot easier.

Reminds mw of playing Killer when in university :D

All good discussion ponts and all valid points of view :D

I'd just like to say that I already corresponded with this cache placer some time ago about the "Permanence" Guideline. We had an amicable discussion and he/she/they described to me what he/she/they were doing and I was happy to go along with the temporary disabling of the cache. This was done for a reason which I understand and support. I'd also point out that he/she/they ( :D ) offered to reinstate it if I thought it inappropriate.

This series is out of the ordinary and I decided to "push the envelope" a little for the sake of a bit of fun. The "Permanence" guideline will still be applied as a norm but we reviewers are still able to be persuaded is certain circumstances (special caches, free beer, gold watches etc.)

So ........ ENJOY

maybe we can start a new sport, how about GeoStalking?

I accused Bargee of Geostalking me a few weeks ago...

My thoughts on who the mystery cache setter is:

Personally I DON'T think its Pieman... his caches are far too funny and a bit sneeky (like Buy it in budworth and smile or scowl) I just don't think it's his style.

At 1st I thought it COULD have been phoenix, but this type of cache needed lots of thinking about, and Phoenix does not have time to think - any spare time he has he spends getting FTFs!!!!

It did occur to me that it could be Bob form the Percey boys, and I still have my suspicions in that area... especially as theis new one is more towards where he lives!

Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser!

<<Who cares??? >>

John summed up our feelings about this thread extremely well!

We care!!

This series of caches is a HUGE talking point in Cheshire (and surrounds) at the moment, try them when they all come live again - and then imagine only having a short space of time to get them done.... you'll understand more if you could do them I'm sure!

<<Who cares??? >>

We care!!

This series of caches is a HUGE talking point in Cheshire (and surrounds) at the moment.

We started this thread because it is such a HUGH talking point up here at the moment. We didn't realise that there were rules on cache permanence but with this one I think that right decision was made allowing them to be closed after a limited period. Its added to the excitement and intregue and the series just wouldn't be as good without that. Plus, we did suspect that once the series had been completed the intended way the 1st time that the whole series would be opened up which looks like is going to happen.

<<Who cares??? >>

Here's the answer to that problem....

Don't read it then!

Many people are scared away from these forums, or decide not to participate, because of the unfriendly atmosphere that sometimes rears it's head (along with other reasons of course). The attitude 'I'm not interested so you shouldn't discuss it' is a good example.

T

<<Who cares??? >>

Here's the answer to that problem....

Don't read it then!

Tigger is correct although I think it's more a case of don't bother commenting if it doesn't interest you!!!

Anyone caching in Cheshire in the general area is obviously going to wonder about the identity of Mutato Nomine. When something like this appears, planted by an experienced (I presume) cacher, then people are obviously going to speculate. Many cachers around here know each other by sight or by exchanging emails so it is bound to create discussion.

We are all very friendly cachers in the Cheshire area..

hm.... the Bob Percy theory is worth looking at however bear in mind that you cant observe something without changing it, and the mear fact that we are having this discussion could mean then MN will colour his MO to throw us off the scent.

Pro

1 Both caches are by water.

2 There is a strong thread of litrature here, and very little math... a very BP trait.

3 He hasnt logged the first cache

4 both caches are in his area...ish

5 Both caches have very good Containers

6 The second cache was well hidden

Cons

1 Both caches have clues, BP hates clues with a pasion, and they are normally undecipherable anyway.

2 Both caches have backgrounds to the cache page, Bob has never done this before, and he prides himself on his technophobia.

3 The hidden number in the second cache is a tad too wooly for BP, usually his clues are logically very sharp.

4 The first cache was almost a pile of sticks... in fact the first cache hiding place is interesting, more so than the second which whilst a great hiding place isnt unusual (for a cache) like the first, and frankly was screaming for someone to put a cache there anyway

<EDIT> just testing to see how many fell asleep (like me) before the end <_<

Edited by -Phoenix-
Just because the handwriting doesn't match MN could be a team and different people wrote the 2 things.

I think we should set up a camera to record maintance visits, then we would know who it was :) . It would probably spoil it though actually knowing who MN is as opposed to guessing.

I agree with Rebecca and Adam...

I think if we were to find out who MN is now, it would kind of take the sparkle off the series... finding out later on may be a different kettle of fish though!! :)

The first cache was almost a pile of sticks...

Surely you kinow by now I hate piles of sticks!

Bob

I did say 'almost' a pile of sticks, the fact that one 'stick' was a little bigger than the rest could actually discount its qualification as an oficial 'camp fire'.

As the only person to DNF the first cache in the series, I'm glad it's back up again. I did have an excuse (stupidity). My two penneth is that it is Maxkim or Bob (particularly as he has been mentioned several times and is conspicuous by his quietness!). :)

The pile of sticks comment doesn't quite convince me! On the other hand it could be Keyser Soze...

Edited by Pieman
For the record, I'm not Mutato Nomine and any suggestion that I am will be met with what Americans call 'lethal responce'.

MN SP

I would have thought that it being suggested that you were MN was a complement considering how good the series is.

As for the hiding places, I'm not sure about piles of sticks, certainly wasn't a pile of sticks when we went there, more like 1 large stick.

Wonder when the next door will open and if its by water, that will point in one direction more than another. Still, Pieman still isn't off our list just yet.

My two penneth is that it is Maxkim or Bob (particularly as he has been mentioned several times and is conspicuous by his quietness!). :)

No - I don't think it's Maxkim....

He likes real puzzles, and besides, Phill spent the whole day wth one of them whilst working in the polling station on election day - he's convinced it's not them!!

I'm letting Pieman off definately, I'm sticking with my Bob theory... for now at least!!

hm.... well, the only thing that has ruled ARRKs 'out' is the North Cheshire location, ARRKs normally place caches in South Cheshire and Shropshire, Light of life is some 30Km from their next nearest cache location

I think you all maybe onto something. aRKKs wouldn't leave a cache that close to home for a month. As for it being too far for aRKKS to place a cache and therefore ruling them out maybe thats what they were hoping for, pulls suspision away from them.