2nd Chester Cachers Meeting

After the success of the first informal meeting in Chester a couple of months ago we have decided to arrange another one. Once again it will be at the Mill but I have been assured that there is no jazz night (or similar) this time. Date is Tuesday June 21st 7:30pm and anyone is welcome to come along for a drink and a chat. It is NOT a cache event so nothing for the numbers people I'm afraid.

Is there any reason NOT to make it an event?

Seemed to be quite popular last time from what I gathered from afar.

(Just in case I missed something obvious, this is a serious question and if it's been answered already, SORRY! Don't want to rattle any (more) cages)

Just one question, which Chester Micro-Cache will all the TBs get logged into this time?

How about Clock Watching

Dave :D

But will people be able to find it?

Actually there is in my humble opinion no reason for it not to be an event other than history. and Chas' opinion

The original was arranged as an adjunct to the "St Georges Day meet" as Chas couldn't come we therefore decided to meet outside of that event and advertised it by spamming local cachers and letting the forums know.

Whilst this worked well I believe making it an event would mean not having to spam everyone who visits our caches. So lets put it to a vote

who is for an event listing and who isnt.

Bob

It was my decision to deliberately NOT make it an event cache for a variety of reasons. Bob and I have a friendly difference of opinion here but if people want me to make it an event then I will do so.

Personally I believe that event caches should be exactly "what it says on the tin" not just a few people gathering in a pub for a drink. Anything that Mancunian Pyrocacher arranges is in my opinion an "event" and Bob's St Georges Day Meet had caches arranged for the day. I have not booked a room or made any arrangements with the Mill other than to check that it wasn't Jazz night and there will be no caches arranged for the occasion.

I also think that event caches should be all day or at least half a day. This will only start at 7:30pm and many people will possibly only be able to pop in for an hour or so just to show their face. I chose the Mill because of the beer selection and because it is in Chester although I realise that parking there is not ideal. If it was an event cache I would prefer to arrange it in a country pub (probably where I live).

I realise that there may be some local cachers who will not be aware of the meeting because it is only mentioned on this forum but it seemed to attract most of the local people last time and if cachers mention it to other people in the informal exchange of emails then word will soon spread. This is purely an informal chat and drink. As phoenix says - it is not "work"

To summarise I think that making a drink in the pub an event cache devalues the work that someone like Mancunian Pyrocacher does with his superb events and it would seem a shame to attract people just so they could add another number to their "score". Hoewever if people vote for it to be an event....

Perhaps Eckington or Lactodorum could comment on this.

Hi Chas

Phill and I hope to make it, but once again work may well interfear with caching related activities. (God I wish I was retired so I didn't have all these problems!)

So .... depending on what work throws at us, we'll try and make it!!

:D

Chas your not wriggling out of it that easy :D . London has the cache event's in the 16th century pub, Manchester (my birth town) has the "Manchester Meet", so how about Chester having "Cas's Chester TB Swap"or "Chas's Meet and Greet at the Mill" TB swap Event ;):D:D every 3 to 4 months would be suitable period between each one :lol:. As long as you make sure we dont have the musical accompainment :D

Dave :)B)

Personaly I preffer the second choice of name for the event :lol:

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher

The mill hotel is not far from the station in chester about 300 yds i think,see the link which kelsbarrow wayfinders posted,

which now i've looked at it myself doesn't even show the existence of chester station!!

so much for encouraging public transport use!!

anyway,once you locate the hotel, find the bar, purchase a pint of ale and look around for a large group sitting round a table with a heap of TBs in the middle, stroll over and introduce yourself! :P

You will be made very welcome! :D

If you are coming from the station it may be best to walk up City Road (the road facing the main station entrance) until just before you reach the canal where (if I remember correctly) there are steps down to the right which take you into Leadworks Lane. Follow this, parallel with the canal, and you will come into Milton Street. The Mill is on the left alongside the canal. It's not far.

I expect to be there and had planned to come by train from Altrincham. However, from Tuesday 21/6 to Thursday 23/6 the train between Northwich and Chester will be replaced by bus, consequently a normally 1 hr journey will be 1 hr 45 min <_< . So it will be private rather than public transport once again.....

We are currently in the process of selling our house, and unfortunately have viewers booked in for tonight.... :P

So - I wish you all a fab time sampling the ale, gossiping, and swapping TB's.... send some our way!

AND... if we get the house we want, caching will take a HUGE rear seat, lots of renovation waork needed :P

Ha Ha Ha.... Enjoy everyone!

Actually nobody stood up and said 'Im Sparticus'

However, whilst Bob does make a lot of interesting cases for why it cant possibly be him, Im not sure he ever actually made an emphatic denial.

Though, it has to be made public that Pieman does have a very close link with chemical plants that can be hard to ignore :lol:

Great evening, looking forward to the next one.