Caching Togo?

OK, a co-worker of mine (non-cacher) was asking me a few questions about geocaching and the rules to hide one. He's suggestion for a cache hide was brillant, except it won't work... :( Here it is:

Fix a cache to the back of a bus and post the coordinates for the bus stop where the bus makes a one hour stop at everyday. Then in the listed mark the cache as available only during that hour.

OK - there are a number of reasons why that won't work, but it's great thinking outside of the box. I was wondering what other ideas you guys have heard that would be amazing... if only there weren't so many reasons why it won't work.

Here's another idea he had (he really should become a cacher):

There's a large clock downtown that people can get to the bottom of. Place a cache on the back of the minute hand, then list it as available only between 25 to 35 minutes after every hour.

Again, many reasons why this might be bad (although some what better than the one above). Any ideas you've had that you just couldn't pull off?

Your friend should get busy. I imagine the ones he does get approved would be great outside the box caches.

"As the bell tolls" It's the bell clacker that only opens when you smack it hard agaisnt the side of the bell. Best done with a liberty bell replica. Come on admit it you have always wanted to sound one of those bells. (I have)

Edited by Renegade Knight

I have never seen anyone caching in a toga before. I imagine it would b quite cumbersome, get caught up on the undergrowth, and do they have any pockets for swag, keys etc.? ;) I have seen someone caching in a kilt though. ;)

Ohh you typed togo. um... er... nevermind :(

There aren't any caches in Togo, although there are some in the surrounding countries... :(

That's what I thought the topic was about, but the OP's idea is even better than caching in Togo. I love the idea of caches hidden with a time/tide dependent element.

Thanks for the op.

I was thinking of doing one similar to the bus. Only it was on trains in the Tokyo, Japan area. I didn't get far after I started my research. The train system there has many trains on the same track. however the same exact train did not pass the station at the same time every day. I could not find a reliable pattern in the short time I researched it. I ended up not trying to submit it.

Cabear

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCHAG5

This one has you waiting, waiting, waiting along a certain tram line in the heart of Melbourne CBD looking for a certain tram number. You then get the number of the ticket machine and if you're lucky and the tram is travelling the right way you can ride it to the cache location. It's a great cache, but very hard to find the right numbered tram.

I've always wanted to put a cache at the end of the boom gates at a level crossing. The only time you could reach the cache would be when the boom gates come down when a train is passing. I think it's a little dangerous to run out in to the traffic, get the cache, sign the log and return it with a train passing by and cars 2 feet behind you.

I am looking into an 'alarm clock' cache. A battery powered alarm clock that goes off for 1 minute at 3:00pm each day. You need to be at GZ and listen for the alarm and find the cache container within that one minute. Obviously this needs to be in a bush setting rather than an urban one. The only thing I have to find is an alarm clock that will run for a year, going off 1 minute each day.

I was thinking of doing one similar to the bus. Only it was on trains in the Tokyo, Japan area. I didn't get far after I started my research. The train system there has many trains on the same track. however the same exact train did not pass the station at the same time every day. I could not find a reliable pattern in the short time I researched it. I ended up not trying to submit it.

Cabear

I think it was Trippy1976 who told me he had an idea for a micro at the end of a railroad crossing barrier. You could only get it when the arm came down for a passing train. He knew this wouldn't be allowed, of course. Ever since, I've been trying to think of a time- or event-dependent cache like that but haven't come up with anything.