Opinions

BoilerSaint

Well I am looking at getting a gps but do not want to spend way more than needed and end up with an expensive paperweight I rarely use. That being said I really think my kids will have fun with the whole searching aspect of geocaching. I have looked around trying to figure out what dvice to get but there are a ton of differing opinions. I have been looking at the Magellan Meridian Color Traveler GPS Value Pack with 64 MB Secure Digital Memory Card, since it seems to offer a good deal however I am concerend about no usb hookup and the battery life issues. Any suggestions will be apprecieated.

I think you're going to spend too much for that unit if you're not sure you're gonna use it. Garmin Etrex is less than a $100 and does what you need. It's a great, I mean, great noobie GPSr at a min cost. Easy to operate too. You can get the USB cabling for downloading at an additional cost. ... Then if you decide to take this up and get more serious, spend the money on what you want.

You asked.

:(

Get a unit that uses standard battery sizes (AAA or AA) and then buy some re-chargeables (spares are necessary in the field.) The yellow eTrex is less than $100 but I would go for the Garmin Legend at $130 - has mapping, WAAS, computer cable in package.

Having said that - looks like you have a generous budget for a GPS so you might look at the Legend C or the GPSMAP 60C.

Just my 2 cents worth.

There is also a new unit called the iFinder GO. It is a low end unit at the lowest price of any I have seen, about $70. But it includes some features you would have to pay nearly $100 more to get in other units, like mapping.

I can't say how good the reception is. In that area the eTrex is not so good. I bought a used Magellan Gold for $150 and it is much more accurate under tree cover than my friend's eTrex.

If you want to stick your toe in the water, you can check the for sale section here and get a used unit. They often go for very fair prices and you will be able to get back nearly all of your purchase price later if you decide to get a better one later.

The eTrex Legend is a good choice at $130. Its a compact, mapping GPS at a great price. Reports of its poor reception are greatly exaggerated. I use my eTrex all the time under heavy leaf cover and it gets great reception. Some people just don't follow the manufacturer's recommendations when using it, then complain about reception.

There is also a new unit called the iFinder GO. It is a low end unit at the lowest price of any I have seen, about $70.

I'd stay away from this and the similarly priced Garmin Geko 101. Neither hooks up to a PC. If you get even semi serious about geocaching, you'll want a PC connection.

If you want a USB connection and long battery life, consider the Garmin Legend C. Its a great unit and you can find it for around $220 with the Garmin rebate that is now available. Mapping software is extra, but you can always buy that sometime down the road, or ask for it for Fathers Day.

Edited by briansnat
so is the additioanl software necessary or can I get by with what comes with a unit until I decide if I really want to do this.

Easy GPS is free and lets you load waypoints from this site to your GPS. That's about all you will need until you have a better idea how much you will use your GPS. You can buy other software later.

Any GPS will do the job for geocaching. Howevere the #1 thing you will want is the computer cable. One miskey of a cache location and an hour spent searching for something that isn't there teaches you the value of that cable.

I think the best "bang for the buck" deal right now would have to be the Garmin V for about $230. (Check your local Ford dealer- they were running a promotion for a while on them- I just got one for $199)

It comes with the cityselect street meps software, PC cable, auto cord and mount. It isn't USB, but I am never in that much of a hurry.

It all depends on what you are looking for in features. If all you want to do is be able to locate caches, the Etrex Yellow will work fine, although for only 30-40 more you can get the Legend, that will do maps and comes with the data cable- you would have to but map software though.

I aggree with the others- stay away from one that will not download from a PC. It takes forever to input a bunch of caches by hand, and one digit error can make for a really bad trip.

so is the additioanl software necessary or can I get by with what comes with a unit until I decide if I really want to do this.

The mapping units come with a base map. These maps show major roads, cities and bodies of water, but thats about it.

The detailed mapping software is what all that map memory is for. There are two basic kinds. Topo, which shows you the lay of the land. It will let you know if there is a stream, pond, swamp, mountain, cliff, ravine or hill between you and your destination. It also shows most roads and dirt roads. Topo is useful for hikers, hunters and geocachers who go after caches in the backcountry.

Then there is regular mapping software. This will have more detailed road information. It will also have the coordinates for beauty salons, shopping malls, post offices, parks, museums, restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc... Some versions will give you turn by turn directions to these locations and any address you might enter as long as you have a unit that supports it (Garmin Legend C, Vista C, GPS V, 60C(S), 76C(S), Magellan Meridain, eXplorist and others). This is useful for anybody whose ever been lost.

So in other words you can get by without buying the mapping software, but you will eventually want it to make your GPS more useful.

Edited by briansnat

IMHO,

If geocaching is what you're buying it for, you wouldn't need anything more expensive than an entry level E-trex. I think you can get the one with WAAS support, but I don't even think that's a big deal to have. I don't have it in my old GPS III, and I find caches just fine.

Things I think are a must: no internal battery (i.e. it takes AA's) My friend has one of the wrist ones with the internal rechargeable battery and hates it. If it dies while you're out..you're SOL.

Get a PC interface cable. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv that. I can dump 500 caches into my gps in about 30 seconds from GSAK.

Get quality, but don't buy features you're not going to use.

--Chino :(

If geocaching is what you're buying it for, you wouldn't need anything more expensive than an entry level E-trex. I think you can get the one with WAAS support, but I don't even think that's a big deal to have. I don't have it in my old GPS III, and I find caches just fine.

Things I think are a must: no internal battery (i.e. it takes AA's) My friend has one of the wrist ones with the internal rechargeable battery and hates it. If it dies while you're out..you're SOL.

Get a PC interface cable. I luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv that. I can dump 500 caches into my gps in about 30 seconds from GSAK.

The basic eTrex is around $89-$109 and it doesn't come with the PC cable. Its a $30 add on. The eTrex Legend sells for as little as $130 and comes with the cable as standard. Once you add in the cost of the cable to the basic eTrex, you're in the Legend's price ballpark and the Legend is a far better unit.

The basic eTrex is around $89-$109 and it doesn't come with the PC cable. Its a $30 add on. The eTrex Legend sells for as little as $130 and comes with the cable as standard. Once you add in the cost of the cable to the basic eTrex, you're in the Legend's price ballpark and the Legend is a far better unit.

Even better

thanks for all the info I was leaning towards the Magellan due to articles and posts and reviews I have read. however now I am leaning towards the eTrex Legend C

It seems like a good cost to features model and I have not been able to find a comparable magellan in that price range.

Edited by BoilerSaint
The closest magellans would be one of the explorists. The 300, 400, or 500. Not sure which does what but thats the closest you will find.

I think the 500 would be the closest to the Legend C.

The Legend C would be an excellent choice however. I've read nothing but raves about it so far.