Say It Ain't So!!!!

Didn't I hear awhile ago that the military was phasing out the use of those ammo cans?  Has that finally caught up with the civilian availability of these containers?

Egads!  Please don't make me use Tupperware for my full-size caches!!

I was wondering the same thing.

Egads, Perks - at least use Lock 'n Locks! :(

In addition to cheaperthandirt and local surplus stores, I've also found Cabelas to be an inexpensive, reputable supplier for ammo cans/boxes, as long as you don't mind the inevitable small stream of catalogs arriving in the months ahead.

The price for a case of six .30 ammo boxes is $19.99 plus $5.95 for regular shipping, a total of $25.94. The ones I've received were in good condition with seals intact and no rust.

Cabela's .30 ammo boxes

That Cabellas link didn't work for me - I think this one will.

But isn't this just contributing to the eventual extinction of the species? One wonders what the military is using now in lieu of ammo cans, assuming they've stopped using ammo cans? Does anyone know?

Edit: PS - there's also a $6 shipping surcharge "due to the size/bulk of the items", for a total of $31.94 for 6 ammo boxes.

Edited by Kai Team

But isn't this just contributing to the eventual extinction of the species? One wonders what the military is using now in lieu of ammo cans, assuming they've stopped using ammo cans? Does anyone know?

Edit: PS - there's also a $6 shipping surcharge "due to the size/bulk of the items", for a total of $31.94 for 6 ammo boxes.

That's odd. The link works for me. Actually, your link took me to the same page.

The surcharge must be new or they missed it last time as they didn't charge me for that.

Don't know about the military replacement.

Whew! I just ordered some. Cruddy shipping charges though. Cheaper Than Dirt always had cheap shipping as well.

At least I have quit hyperventilating now that I bought 10 ammo cans....... :(

But isn't this just contributing to the eventual extinction of the species?  One wonders what the military is using now in lieu of ammo cans, assuming they've stopped using ammo cans?  Does anyone know?

Edit:  PS - there's also a $6 shipping surcharge "due to the size/bulk of the items", for a total of $31.94 for 6 ammo boxes.

Whew! I just ordered some. Cruddy shipping charges though. Cheaper Than Dirt always had cheap shipping as well.

At least I have quit hyperventilating now that I bought 10 ammo cans....... :(

Yeah, Cheaperthandirt had a flat rate as long as your order was under 100 lbs. It was the same you orderd 6 cans or 24 so it was worthwhile to buy in bulk. It came out to less than $4 a can the last time I ordered from there

Looking around I also found a 5 pack for $15 at MajorSurplus.com Shipping is 11.95 including a heavy item surcharge so it comes out to 5 cans for $26.95 or a little over $5 each. Not great, not bad.

Edited by briansnat

I dunno about the military phasing out the cans. I know they can turn them in for recycling purposes (and the unit or base gets get $$$ in return). A range official in my reserve unit let me have some cans, though. Luckily, I guess, that's my connection... but I'll have to see how long that'll last.

OK everybody, stay calm.  The cans are still out there.  Who wants to go in on a bid for this?

I don't get it?! The way I read it this lot contains 1 can that weighs 1395 lbs.

I must be dense today... ;)

Or the CAN is really dense. :(

That just means you're bidding on one lot...of hundreds and hundreds of cans.

I saw something how they are using a kevlar type container now. Makes sense. If a stray bullet gets into the metal ammo can, it could set off the ammo inside- a bomb in essence. The kevlar material would make it less likely.

Oooh, I can't wait til those start showing up on Cheaper than Dirt!

Cheaperthandirt.com no longer has the 6 packs of .30 cal ammo boxes for $19. In fact they have no .30 cal ammo boxes listed on their website  ;) .

I hope this is temporary  ;) .

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!

I was about to order some too!!!!!! :(;):lol::(:(:(

Good thing I stocked up a few months ago. I still have a few .30s and a couple .50s in the garage waiting for my campout event :(

You gonna pick them up?  I'll drive to Nashville to pick up my share.  :(

Does anybody have a truck that I can borrow? It will have to be big enough to hold 18 pallets of ammo cans. ;)

A bunch of us got together around Christmas of last year and bought one of these lots. I beleive we got 400 Fat-50's. The were snapped up like hotcakes by the local geocachers.

You gonna pick them up?  I'll drive to Nashville to pick up my share.  ;)

Does anybody have a truck that I can borrow? It will have to be big enough to hold 18 pallets of ammo cans. :(

A bunch of us got together around Christmas of last year and bought one of these lots. I beleive we got 400 Fat-50's. The were snapped up like hotcakes by the local geocachers.

I smell an event! ;):lol:

You gonna pick them up?  I'll drive to Nashville to pick up my share.  :D

Does anybody have a truck that I can borrow? It will have to be big enough to hold 18 pallets of ammo cans. :lol:

I smell an event! :D:lol:

Or at least the breeder Cache to end all breeder caches.

What? Carleen is panicing? .... Um uh, isn't she the one who always wants all of us to calm down? Can some one slip her a "mickey" ? :lol:

Well, I have calmed down now that I know some from Cabelas are on the way. :lol: I was about to go order a 6 pack and some .50 cals right before Brian posted and needed them quick for a special local project. :D

I did shock my co-worker who shares an office with me though when I first read this thread by suddenly yelling "What! no more Cheaper Than Dirt ammo cans!!!!" :D

I did shock my co-worker who shares an office with me though when I first read this thread by suddenly yelling "What! no more Cheaper Than Dirt ammo cans!!!!"  :D

I understand the judge up that way is very lenient. :lol:;):D

We are hitting summer break. I have my work done, but still have to be there in case anything comes in. Might as well use the time to startle my co-worker! :lol:

Tomorrow I clean out my file cabinet and shred a year's worth of papers. Oh joy!

But I might also go hide a cache at lunch! :D

But isn't this just contributing to the eventual extinction of the species?  One wonders what the military is using now in lieu of ammo cans, assuming they've stopped using ammo cans?  Does anyone know?

Edit:  PS - there's also a $6 shipping surcharge "due to the size/bulk of the items", for a total of $31.94 for 6 ammo boxes.

At least I have quit hyperventilating now that I bought 10 ammo cans....... :D

Yeah, Cheaperthandirt had a flat rate as long as your order was under 100 lbs. It was the same you orderd 6 cans or 24 so it was worthwhile to buy in bulk. It came out to less than $4 a can the last time I ordered from there

Looking around I also found a 5 pack for $15 at MajorSurplus.com Shipping is 11.95 including a heavy item surcharge so it comes out to 5 cans for $26.95 or a little over $5 each. Not great, not bad.

Cabella's are a six pack, making them slightly cheaper ($5.32 each) than the 5 pack from MajorSurplus.com ($5.39), if it matters. :D

We went through the same panic out in California last week, when we found Cheaperthandirt was out of the can business. We palced an emergency backup order thru Cabellas which arrived today (nice quality, just .68 more per can than before after shipping).

But what we did to solve the long term problem (and all our suppliers say there is a shortage and price hike), is to work a deal with our local surplus store to do a group buy in the future at a lower price (around 3.25 per can). We agreed to buy in bulk (more than 100 cans) and pick them up to distribute ourselves. I imagine most surplus stores would be able to work the same kind of deal.

We ordered a 6 pack from Cabellas and had no problems. 

Briansnat, aren't they building a Cabella's in NJ? 

Pretty soon you can just drive to pick up your fix.  :D

Cabelas don't always have them in the stores though. They tend to stock many for mail order only. Here in Nebraska I have sometimes found them there and sometimes not. Each year the main/first big store at Sidney would put pallets of them out at their annual sidewalk sale for something like $1 each, but many were dented to the point of no reasonable use. Yet, I did dig through those once and got a bunch of good ones to donate at local events.

Edit: My understanding is that the mail order and store ones (when there) are OK though.

Edited by carleenp
When Target stops selling Lock & Locks, that's when I'll really be screwed.

My local Pathmark grocery store had a display of Lock n Locks. One of those monthly things, like china and other stuff where every week a different one is on sale.

When the display went away at the end of the month I was bummed. Then yesterday I found dozens of Lock n Locks sitting in the bargain bin at the back of the store for 74 cents for 29oz. square ones. I filled up two shopping bags. I'm actually using some to store food!!!!

Back to panic mode. I noticed that Majorsurplus.com had 3 morter tubes for $15 so I ordered 2 three packs. I received a phone call the next day telling me they were out of stock. <_<

Panic!!!!

Edited by briansnat
that first link is for one lot of 6 pallets of cans, Tharagleb.

Yeah, I know it isn't just one big heavy can. My problem is that nowhere on the listing can I find out how many ammo cans are in the lot. It says qty 1 because someone was too lazy to count them. On the other listing it says something like 18 pallets with 80 cans on each pallet.