The Tech Support At Magellan Collectively Is As Sm

The tech support at Magellan collectively is as smart as a mostly retarded hamster.

Here is my story.

I get a meridian gold second hand from a friend that killed the basemap by fooling around in the hidden menus

I call up Magellan and explain this to the vary nice lady on the phone who asked me if we could connect the unit to my pc, I did not have the pc link cable so she gave me a ra # and I promptly sent it in. 2 weeks later (including shipping time and the weekend) I get it back I rip open the box and I find my unit neatly tucked in with a brand new cable and a book great I think I am all set I plop in brand new batteries and take it out side and start to initialize the unit I put in my location the date the time and it starts to look for satellites then I get “extremely low power shutting down” crap , I got bad batteries

I recharge my set of AA’s and try again no luck I try to hook it to my car same thing

By this time tech support is closed I have to wait until the am

So I call tech support back and the guy listens to my issue, we both agree it’s not the battery spring issue and I once again get an ra # and send it back I get an email stating that the unit shipped, so I call the co and ask what they did the person on the phone tells me they fixed the low power issue and tested for 5 hrs

I think great they really came through

1 week … yada yada I get it back today open said box and find a 2nd new cable and a 3rd new book I put in the batteries go though initialize and BAM the same error with in 2 min , I almost chucked it as far as I could I then came in and went to work on the web

Found out that the basemap was probably bad so I nuked it and loaded one I snagged on line and wow fancy that it worked I played with it all night with no issues

So in conclusion 1. tech support does as little as they can get away with and 2 they lie 5 hrs of testing my but, I found out it still did not work after 2 min and had to revert to the web to find answers. If I have more issues with my unit I am going to run it through a blender and buy a Garmin or something.

David

I have an Explorist 500 with a power/data cable coming apart. You can see wires where data cable connects to power adapter in middle of cable. I have now submitted 2 e-mail request for support on their web site and have not heard back from them. From viewing support postings on this site it seems their support has many short comings. Just used some electrial tape and fixed problem myself - unit not even 2 months old. They don't even sell cables for Explorist on their site but with help from good people on this site was able to order cable from Pc-Mobile.