Ridiculing Magellan

I've been ridiculed 3 or 4 times in my memory for using a Magellan. A couple of times I took it as humorous deprecating banter.

But it starts to sound mean after a while.

So I thought I’d come here to start a fight.

But I’ve never used a Garmin.

I can only say that my Magellan eXplorist 600 is great.

And I respect anyone who thinks Garmins are better.

What makes a Garmin better than a Magellan?

Edited by MDAgent

To each his own. I think whatever works for you is the best GPS you can find.

I do own an Explorist 200, though, and I'll say this. If the menus are the same for all the Explorist series (and I think they are) I can get to a waypoint in about half the clicks with my Garmin Etrex Legend than it takes with my Magellan Explorist 200.

Bret

I've been ridiculed 3 or 4 times in my memory for using a Magellan. A couple of times I took it as humorous deprecating banter.

But it starts to sound mean after a while.

So I thought I’d come here to start a fight.

But I’ve never used a Garmin.

I can only say that my Magellan eXplorist 600 is great.

And I respect anyone who thinks Garmins are better.

You're right, it does start to sound mean after awhile. It's hard to tell when it's crossed the line from "humor" to "hurt". Hopefully you're dealing with adults who will stop the teasing when asked.

Back on topic, I regularly use a Garmin Legend. The wife has an eXplorist 200. I've only used the eXplorist a couple of times so I can't really comment on how well it works. The one thing I did notice was how hard it is for someone with larger hands to operate. The buttons are too small and too close together to use my thumb. The best way I've found to work the controls is to hold it in one hand and use the index finger on my other hand. I prefer one-handed operation, so it isn't the GPSr for me.

I have several friends that use Magellans. It hasn't stopped someof them from finding more caches than I have. Then again, when I find the cache first I tell them it's because they use a Maggie ;)

If it makes you feel any better, a friend of mine had me test his Cobra 500 a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather use a sextant, at least it would tell me where I was!

I've used both a Garmin and a Magellan. I was standing in a parking lot with both in my hand, the Garmin told me I was under water ;) while the Magellan told me exactly where I was. We were also trying to find a cache in the woods with both the Garmin and Magellan working side by side. I had the Garmin and it was hopping all over the place. First it would say I was 10 feet off to the right then it would tell me I had passed the point by about 100 feet. After running around in the woods for about an hour, we finally got fed up and started using the Magellan. It led us right to the exact spot in about 5 min. Now every one is entitled to their own opinion over which gps they like best, but I would never use a Garmin again. I have a merigold and as far as I'm concerned, you can't find a beter gps anywhere.

I do own an Explorist 200, though, and I'll say this. If the menus are the same for all the Explorist series (and I think they are) I can get to a waypoint in about half the clicks with my Garmin Etrex Legend than it takes with my Magellan Explorist 200.

Bret

It takes me 3 clicks (GoTo, My Points of Interest, the POI itself) to go to a waypoint with my explorist 200. So the Garmin can do it in 1½? We must be doing something different.

I'm not trying to be adversarial, I'm just curious.

I own a Magellan Sportrak Map.

I am a human boomerang guided by a GPSr that I have grown to distrust.

I don't ask for much, I just want the thing to remember the satellites without having to be restarted constantly, and I'd like to not have to walk 100 feet past a cache in order to find it.

BTW, have owned the Magellan for almost 3 years now. Will be replacing it soon. The replacement will NOT say Magellan on it.

I have both, but use the Sportak Map the most. I've found I'm equally unable to find caches with either one, so I don't see a difference ;)

I seem to be the weak link in the chain... :(

Bret

It takes me 3 clicks (GoTo, My Points of Interest, the POI itself) to go to a waypoint with my explorist 200. So the Garmin can do it in 1½? We must be doing something different.

Yes, goto and then 2 scrolls and 2 clicks on the joystick without ever moving my thumb. I don't see anything possibly being easier than that.

I'm not partial to Magellan. I had a Meridian Color and I hated it. Now that was complicated to me. And too big and bulky for my taste.

I would guess that accuracy is comparable. It is what they are designed for.

Because I'm use to my eXplorist 600, I think if I picked up a Garmin, or any other Magellan for that matter, I would hate it.

(also, I know I don't like the eXplorist 200 - there's no dataport or extra memory)

Well lets see, I started with a Lowrance GN212 used it for over a year for caching, Then decided I just had to have mapping, so out of the Garmin , Magellan & the Lowrance lines I settled on the Magellan Gold. For about a month and a half I ran the GN212 & the gold side by side, the Lowrance was constantly the closer unit.Then the gold started beating the Lowrance about 50% of the time, (burn in?)

I bought a Legend to compare it against the gold, and never did really care for it,

(personal preference? who knows)

I think the main thing is just being comfortable with the unit you have.

For me its the gold, although my next one may be a 60cs??????????. :(

Edited by vagabond

I am a new merigold user and it works much better than my friend's eTrex. Under tree cover he wanders around a 100 foot circle and I work in a 20 foot area. Of course he paid $60 new for his and I paid $150 used. Also, I really like the fact that mine floats! I tested that in the sink the other day. It even floats standing upright in the water so the head sticks up and out. If I put yellow tape on the top I should be able to spot it easily if I drop it in a lake. Do the eTrex units float?

I just bought a new garmin 60cs to relpace the etrex legend I bought a few years ago. I sold the legend to my caching partner. I got the legend from a store that only sold garmins so I didn't have a choice in the matter, nor did I even know there were other brands. Both have been fine for the type of caches we've done, only once we had to abandon the GPSr because we were in a canyon and had no view of the sky.

I got a friend of mine into caching, and we're taking him out on Sunday to try it out. He's got a magellan and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. He said he can't wait to try out my 60cs.

As long as the GPSr picks up signals I don't care who made it. It'll get me to where I need to be.

I originally had a Magellan GPS315 (back before SA, and before geocaching), then upgraded to a SporTrak Pro. My son uses an ETrex yellow that I got in a promotional deal for $25.

I take all the ribbing about M vs G with a grain of salt (especially when the "boomerang effect" comes up; I've never gone 100 feet past a cache yet, as I don't think I can walk/run that fast!). For my money, I much prefer the ST and even my old 315 over the ETrex, but since I was already familiar with Magellan (the GPS315) when I bought the ST, that probably explains at least part of it.

There are a certain percentage of people who will rib/badmouth the competition, regardless of their brand. And I think that percentage is probably constant also regardless of brand. But since there are more Garmins in use than Magellans (or so I've heard), that could explain why there are more people who badmouth Magellans than Garmins. :(

I've owned many Garmins over the years. Why? I guess I've just liked them. If you ask me, only idiots will ridicule you based on what equipment you buy. It's the hobby that matters, not the equipment. A person can find a cache with a $50 GPS as quickly as a person with a $1000 GPS, they just may not have the pretty colors and the availability of multiple maps, etc. The bells and whistles.

I own a SporTrak Pro and a Garmin 60CS. I cached with Renegade Knight quite often and we normally ended up within 6 feet of each other. That didn't stop him from giving me a bad time anyway, but I took my turn whenever I found the cache first. With that said I am currently using my 60CS because of the better screen and the auto-routing feature. :(

I still would be just as happy using a SporTrak for actually finding a cache.

I have a Magellan Sportrak (basic) and just got a Garmin eTrex Legend. I haven't been out to test them side by side, but my initial impression is that the Magellen locks on to satellites significantly faster than the Garmin. We'll see how they do in the field...

Bret

Let's see......firing up my Explorist....using it out on a day of caching....

1. Hit the Goto button

2. Screen pops up that says "A goto already exists, clear it?" I click "Yes"

3. A Screen pops up that says "Do you want a new GOTO" Well, that's why I clicked "Yes" last time, but..ok..."Yes"

4. Screen pops up for choice of "My Pts of Interest" or "Background Map." I'll take Pts of Interest. "Click"

5. Scroll through "My Pts of Interest," find the one I want. "Click"

I'm ready to go

Now with the Etrex Legend:

1. Hit the find button

2. Tap down for Waypoints

3. Click Nearest

4. Choose my waypoint "click"

5. Click "GOTO"

Whoops. My bad. Same number...I apologize.

Still, the Explorist menus don't make a lot of sense to me. How necessary are steps 2 and 3? They seem to be there just to make the unit idiot-proof.

Just to clarify, I have no interest in ridiculing Magellan. I've owned 2 Magellans and will probably own more in the future. I've owned three Garmins and will probably own more in the future too. All that really matters is that I can get the GPS to do what I want it to do.

Bret

Bret...I had never thought about it, but you're correct that steps 2 & 3 could be eliminated (why else would the user have clicked GoTo if he/she didn't want to----well---GoTo a POI?). There are many times when I use steps 2 & 3, though, to clear a GoTo because I no longer need it and I want to clear the screen.

Thanks for the comparison.

Ive now had many of the Magellan GPS units, and Garmin units:

Magellan 4000XL 12CH, Color Trak, GPS 315, MeriPlat, SporTrak Color

Garmin III, IIIplus, Etrex Vista, V, V, 76S, 60C

The worst GPS Ive had since I started Geocaching, is the Etrex Vista, and It is really bad with accuracy even out in the middle of a lake, mounted on a fiberglass boat. I remember going into the store to buy the Etrex Vista back around June 2001, and for some reason, it didn't feel right(bad vibes), and it has performed poorly and hardly used since then. I had heard somewhere on the internet that the flat antenna in the non-color etrexes where all slightly undersized, also I never did like the silver matalic paint covering over the antenna of my Vista. I am stuck with this GPS because it's the least sellable GPS of the ones ive owned, partly due to the bad clickstick and LCD problems, and Ive been inside it and used electrical tape to close it back up.

The big issue with my Magellans that ive had, is the Auto Averaging messing with the TRIP ODOMETER comming up short, and the Quality of Tracklogging suffering. So far the best Magellan Ive ever had was the Meridian Platinum, but I sold it due to the fact that I didn't use it much. The Platinum was rock stable, excellent electronic compass, and no boomerang effect, and this was because I had turned off WAAS and kept the Compass OFF, and only used the electronic compass to get a bearing to the cache.

I have seen a 40 foot boomerang effect with all my Garmins near towering trees in SE Michigan, but little problem with the Platinum.

The 60C has been great, but it's been having some accuracy problems at times, so I need to get the external antenna for it.

See if you can do this with a Garmin and a Magellan, to compare the tracklogging with each Brand of GPS. Put the Garmin on highest Tracklogging, and the Magellan at .01 mi resolution.

Edited in: A GPS I wished I had, would be one that can compute a position fix 5 times a second, and take an average of those once a second.

A GPS I wished I had is the 76C, which has an edge over that of the 60C.

Edited by GOT GPS?
1. Hit the Goto button

3. A Screen pops up that says "Do you want a new GOTO" Well, that's why I clicked "Yes" last time, but..ok..."Yes"

4. Screen pops up for choice of "My Pts of Interest" or "Background Map." I'll take Pts of Interest. "Click"

I'm ready to go

Still, the Explorist menus don't make a lot of sense to me. How necessary are steps 2 and 3? They seem to be there just to make the unit idiot-proof.

I think two is there so that if you had the unit in a shirt pocket or somewhere that you might bump the goto button, it doesn't automatically clear the current goto. I like that feature. 3 is totally useless. Even if I didn't want a new goto, I could accomplish the same then by hitting back at step 4. I don't mind all the clicks though, and could do them all with my eyes closed. I've never lost a race with a Garmin user when entering a batch of waypoints. I think there are a lot of things that are done more efficiently with Magellan's UI (just maybe not as user friendly, but power users think user friendly is crap anyway.) <_<

--Marky

Bret...I had never thought about it, but you're correct that steps 2 & 3 could be eliminated (why else would the user have clicked GoTo if he/she didn't want to----well---GoTo a POI?). There are many times when I use steps 2 & 3, though, to clear a GoTo because I no longer need it and I want to clear the screen.

Well...I don't want to defend Magellan upon a point with which I basically agree with you, but it did come to my mind that sometime I press the GOTO with an intention different from setting a new GOTO. We hit the GOTO twice to reroute a street route, and sometimes I hit GOTO to deactivate a GOTO. So there are times where I veer from the usual path. I readily concede that most of the time, my goal is as Bret described, and things could probably be arranged to make that a little quicker and easier for us.

Magellans are for fools, weak minded people and serial killers. Not only that, but Thales Navigation gives money to the Church of Satan. The Thales logo is a rendition of the Muslim symbol for Satan and if you take the names of the current major Magellan models Sportrak, eXplorist and Meridian you will see: Sportrak, eXplorist, Meridian.

The big issue with my Magellans that ive had, is the Auto Averaging messing with the TRIP ODOMETER comming up short, and the Quality of Tracklogging suffering.  So far the best Magellan Ive ever had was the Meridian Platinum, but I sold it due to the fact that I didn't use it much.  The Platinum was rock stable, excellent electronic compass, and no boomerang effect, and this was because I had turned off WAAS and kept the Compass OFF, and only used the electronic compass to get a bearing to the cache.

Since the eXplorist line doesn't do averaging, there is no boomerang effect. I've been eXtremely happy with my 600, as has Joani, who was previously a Garmin user. I have heard no complaints from her about the UI either (I was afriad I might, but she has no problems with it).

I've been amazed at how the eX600 has out performed all of the quad helix antenna GPSrs that I've cached with when in heavy tree cover.

I do miss the averaging when hiding caches. I've always felt really confident in my coords when I average for 3 minutes on my Sportrak. Now I don't have that warm tummy feeling when I take coords at a cache, and end up using other methods (like walking in towards the cache from multiple directions, taking a bunch of waypoints and then averaging them). It wouldn't bother me if they added averaging back in when the unit was stationary. I don't think I'll see that though.

--Marky

I just don't really care for the Meridian's user interface. If I want to search for a certain waypoint I have to scroll through as many as 500 of them. How stupid is that!

There were other things that I found annoying, starting with that stupid warning when you fire up the unit. I keep turning the unit on and looking a minute later and seeing it off again because I faild to acknowledge that I read the warning <_< .

Also I found the detail on the maps to be wanting. This was Streets and Destinations. Maybe the other ones are better?

Better. There were a lot of complaints about the old Streets & Destinations and Topo. So the newer DirectRoute and Topo3D use the same NavTech data that Garmin uses.

I happy to report that on the explorists there is but a single button push to get past the opening screen--no more lawyer screen(s). Apparently Magellan still sees the need to prevent accidental power-ons.

That's another thing. With the Meridian, tap the power switch and it shuts off, but hold it in for a few secs to power on. I found accidental power offs to be more of a problem.

They did fix that several firmware revisions ago: there's a Power Key protection option under the Setup menu that makes things such that a confirmation is needed to power off. Why they didn't make that the default I don't know.

Magellans are for fools, weak minded people and serial killers. Not only that, but Thales Navigation gives money to the Church of Satan. The Thales logo is a rendition of the Muslim symbol for Satan and if you take the names of the current major Magellan models Sportrak, eXplorist and Meridian you will see: Sportrak, eXplorist, Meridian.

Hilarious Brian! And I'm a Magellan user.

1. Hit the Goto button

I'm ready to go

1. Hit the find button

3. Click Nearest

5. Click "GOTO"

Bret

I really like "recent finds" on 60CS.

1. "find" (double click)

2. scroll to a waypoint

3. "enter" (triple click)

and it starts navigating.

Edited by vr12

Steps 2 and 3 are only necessary if you have a current GOTO active and then push the button again. If not, you simply push GOTO, select the POI and click enter. 3 steps, not five.

If you have a current GOTO route active it only makes sense to me that the unit would ask if you really want to cancel it. I freqently push GOTO on the unit to pull up steps 2 and 3 as a fast way to cancel a GOTO.

But what do I know, I'm a Magellan user...... <_<:lol:

Scott

Steps 2 and 3 are only necessary if you have a current GOTO active and then push the button again. If not, you simply push GOTO, select the POI and click enter. 3 steps, not five.

If you have a current GOTO route active it only makes sense to me that the unit would ask if you really want to cancel it. I freqently push GOTO on the unit to pull up steps 2 and 3 as a fast way to cancel a GOTO.

But what do I know, I'm a Magellan user...... <_<:lol:

Scott

Why confirm though? I don't have to confirm a goto change on my Legend. If I didn't want to change the goto, I wouldn't be pressing the buttons.

Hmmm ..... let's see...... get out the map ... find a flat spot to put it down ..... get out the compass ...

I CANNOT BELIEVE you guys are b**ching about a couple of button presses. I may be old school, but come on. If it makes that much difference, hire someone to push the dang buttons for you!

I have used over a dozen different units just in the last three months. There is not a whole lot of difference. What is my preference? A PPC with my topos and aerials and marine charts all loaded on a couple of SD cards. But, I use whatever I have handy.

Oh, and BTW, Satan doesn't have time for GPSrs. He is too busy designing video games.

Hmmm ..... let's see...... get out the map ... find a flat spot to put it down ..... get out the compass ...

I CANNOT BELIEVE you guys are b**ching about a couple of button presses. I may be old school, but come on. If it makes that much difference, hire someone to push the dang buttons for you!

Hi Mr. Pot,

Do you drive a car? Do your house have forced air heating? Air conditioning? How about TV, you've probably got more than one and I'll bet they aren't black and white!

Kettle

P.S. What good is improving technology if we can't make things to do what we want? "A couple of button presses" might seem insignificant to you, but why do you think corporations hire ergonomists? Too many repetitive stress injuries from "A couple of button presses" over a period of time. We're told to use the mouse as little as possible. All those clicks add up. It's the same on a GPS. Just because it's used for a hobby doesn't mean it can't injure you.

Bret

I agree, it's the old Ford versus Chevy in a new form.

I use a Garmin Map60c and I know the funtions better on a garmin unit. I am sure everyone that started off with a Magellan feels the same way.

...Since the eXplorist line doesn't do averaging, there is no boomerang effect. I've been eXtremely happy with my 600, as has Joani, who was previously a Garmin user. ...

Here's a question for you. One advantage Magellan had was less bouncing around in the woods. Probably due to the same averaging that causes the boomerang effect. Have you noticed more bouncing with the explorists?

...Since the eXplorist line doesn't do averaging, there is no boomerang effect.  I've been eXtremely happy with my 600, as has Joani, who was previously a Garmin user.  ...

Here's a question for you. One advantage Magellan had was less bouncing around in the woods. Probably due to the same averaging that causes the boomerang effect. Have you noticed more bouncing with the explorists?

IMHO and after doing some largely unscientific testing, the Explorist still does some averaging but has reached a happy compromise between an almost unoticeable boomerang effect and no bouncing around in the woods.

I'm still waiting for the perfect GPSr but I like what I have and every GPSr I've ever owned has been able to find geocaches without any problem :)

The only time I've ever kiddingly teased someone about being a magellan user was after the whole Magellan Pirate treasure map fiasco when they had coordinates taking people up a private driveway where an 80 year old couple lived if memory serves me right. And a few other contest errors. I think a lot of Magellan users put up with that for a little while. I use a Garmin Legend, I love it, but I haven't really tried any other kinds, except the yellow etrex. Doesn't mean I don't want to, I just hate change. :)

And dboggny, I'll speak to you privately! LOL!

You think you got it rough?

Try being a Lowrance iFinder advocate! :):D:)

i know what you mean :D

and seriously... mdagent, not to be "mean" or anything, but grow a backbone.

who honestly cares if other people make fun of you (didnt we learn that in second grade?) :D

Let's see......firing up my Explorist....using it out on a day of caching....

1. Hit the Goto button

I'm ready to go

1. Hit the find button

3. Click Nearest

5. Click "GOTO"

Whoops.  My bad. Same number...I apologize.

Bret

No, the Explorist menu allows you to end a goto completly without activating another. You can do that with the eTrex too, but they are two separate functions.

:) Cool! Just the reason why I got the Magellan. Any one up to sacrificing a little puppy? :)

Evidently Garmin users are better crap flippers than Magellan users. Suck it up and get even. Trust me there are things about a garmin that you can make fun of. (tossedsalid covered one).

I think I'll go out and get a Garmin so I can find out what's bad about it. If I'm going to flip crap, I will have to at least flip well-informed crap. :)