Geocaching Tracks/points Onto Images

Yes, I am sure there have been threads on this before, sorry for the repeat.

I am not new to Caching, but for the past couple years, I have just been plugging coordinates into my eTrex and found the caches and couldn't have been happier.

However, I have recently purchased KeyHole (Google Earth Plus) and have had a ton of fun going back to the program after caching and trying to plot my path onto the satellite images; find my distance, etc....

I was hoping there was some way to upload my "Track" path onto a mapping satellite system so that I could capture images of the Tracks overlaid on the image. Also it would be really cool to have a master map plotting all of my tracks in different colors to look at the cumulative effect, but this might be asking too much.

Is this possible? How compicated/costly is it?

Secondly, I also wanted to plot all my cache points onto a sattelite map, I am sure this is done in similiar fashion, I am just not sure how to make this step up in technology from basically just understanding the eTrex to the conversion to PC.

If this helps Right now I have:

- I have an eTrex Legend w/ PC chord

- The basic mapping system on the GPS Unit

- Keyhole mapping software

Thanks for any help,

TH

Edited by Teamhawaii1981

Hmmmm...interesting software. It's been a while since I looked at Keyhole. I might have to treat myself to it sometime.

I think you might have a better chance at getting this question answered over in the GPS Units and Software forum, so I'm moving it over there.

Hope someone can help you out.

Bret

Try USAPhotoMaps and/or GPS Trackmaker.

Both are exellent prgs and you may select either one regarding your needs:

With the first one you can plot directly to the satellite image your tracks and WP.

With the second one you can import a satellite or map image file as background and plot your Tracks and WP. You may also edit and change the properties of them.

GBC

I have a new question. I had to get a converter to convert my serial chord to USB for my Garmin. IT worked great and easily transfers with EasyGPS. However, I cannot seem to be able to get USAPhotoMaps to receieve my coordinates or recognize that my GPS is there no matter what Comm Port I choose. Any suggestions? Is there a way I can tranfer the EasyGPS points and routes into USAPhotoMaps without going through my GPS unit? Thanks, TH

Edited by Teamhawaii1981

USAPhotoMaps can import GPX tracks, however, you may need a prg as GPSBabel that can convert diff formats between each other.

To connect your USB GPSr with USAPhotomaps, click GPS > Protocol > GARMIN USB... you may need to restart the program and GPSr as well. Be sure that you have no other com in progress in a diff prg.

GBC