Lol.... A Rant About Rants

when i first started geocaching i came to these forums looking for answers to my goecaching questions....most of the responses i got were man how many times are these people going to ask the same questions.or other rude comments about my grammer.after about the first 5 replies someone would help me out.the longer i cache the less time i can spend in here with these forums...i go caching...find caches.....enjoy the view...ask permission to place caches get turned down...lol some say sure....some dont....but i enjoy the talk about caching with them and try to understand there reasons for not wanting geocaching agound there property...it is theres or at least theres to maintain in come cases.but i always seem to have fun with it.there are always new caches poping up to do.i just dont understand why some people live in this forum and all they do is complain about rules or other players or something all the time.dont get me wrong some do there best to stay positive and some start some really great topics....like the avatar free help being offered now..great post guys thanks a million.i know some people have issues with the rules.but cant you contact the admins about these things...why come to the forum and have half the people back you and want to revolt and half say go to another site if you dont like the rules.rules are set by the powers that be....why...because its what they feel is best for the sport and for its continuing success.why do some property managers say no to allowing geocaches...because its what they feel is best for there property in general.i have said all that to say this......the game is a great way to have fun...now as it is.....and i am sure that it will be fun after the new rules for virtuals come out as well.i am sure you think some things are not 100 right...and you may be right...it you tell the powers that be your conserns i am sure they will listen to your ideas and give them some consideration.so go...go out and enjoy this great game before its gone forever.....i but if uncle san says no more physical caches on any public property for the sake of post 911 security we wouldnt be so worried about the vacation caches would we....do what your allowed to do..cache....cache all day and night....use the forums to help and to grow closer as a body of people who wenjoy the same pastime.not to constantly complain it makes me not even want to visit the forums any more.and that in itself is a shame.

don't know about you but i need to sit down every now and then.

so why not go online and discuss stuff with other people. but then if you really felt the way you did you wouldn't bother to start this topic cause you'd have just gone out caching. so good argument start....enjoy the chat. ;)

the game is a great way to have fun

I picked this out of your post. Yes geocaching is, and should be, about fun. I am glad you are having fun! Keep it up! :P

In the forums, sometimes things get dicey. Many/most times there is room for disagreement and fortunately many/most express and debate it well. But sometimes a few don't and those get focused on. There are the normal internet forum things that happen. A few people troll to get others worked up for sport. A few have grudges that they repeatedly bring up. Some don't realize (or maybe do) that a topic is beaten to death and bring it up again. When that happens, others jump in and point that out, when maybe they could use more tact. Some get silly and drag things off topic (I am guilty of that). Yet others pick on grammar and spelling, often without looking for the meaning of the post. Sometimes moderators intervene and get bashed, whether they acted too quickly or not.

In the end, the supposedly annonymous internet makes many feel more secure to post whatever they desire. But when in a face to face situation they might step back and be more polite. What is funny about caching is that many of those posting might actually meet others from here face to face someday at an event. I suggest that people think of that when they post or email. Because I like to travel, I have met a few so called "forum malcontents" and found that they were fun people in person. Interestingly a few also seemed nervous to meet me when they shouldn't have felt that. Anyway posting is just not the same as meeting face to face and I think people forget that in this sport that can happen.

In the end, I think manners are important, but I also think people should happily express their views. I only hope that they can do so in a polite manner. As much as forum angst can be amusing to read, it also sends a negative impression. It is very possible to disagree while being polite. Many here do that well. Unfortunately some do not. But that is life and the effect of the perceived annonymity of the internet.

Anyway, keep caching and have fun!!!!! ;)

One thing I learned about discussion boards, forums, newsgroups, SIGs...whatever you want to call them...years ago was that t doesn't matter what you say or how you say it, you'll piss someone off somewhere.

So just go with it. Do what you want. say what you want and don't ever worry one whit about what others think. It's the only way to survive the internet.

Seriously. Did anyone make it through the whole thing?

Auntie needs paragraph breaks. And punctuation. And capitalization. Or her eyes roll up and she begins to fantasize about great fat mice clinging precariously to low-hanging branches, with their little feets so clingingly and their little tails so flippity and why don't he fall off that thing already. Eh?

the game is a great way to have fun

I picked this out of your post. Yes geocaching is, and should be, about fun. I am glad you are having fun! Keep it up! :P

In the forums, sometimes things get dicey. Many/most times there is room for disagreement and fortunately many/most express and debate it well. But sometimes a few don't and those get focused on. There are the normal internet forum things that happen. A few people troll to get others worked up for sport. A few have grudges that they repeatedly bring up. Some don't realize (or maybe do) that a topic is beaten to death and bring it up again. When that happens, others jump in and point that out, when maybe they could use more tact. Some get silly and drag things off topic (I am guilty of that). Yet others pick on grammar and spelling, often without looking for the meaning of the post. Sometimes moderators intervene and get bashed, whether they acted too quickly or not.

In the end, the supposedly annonymous internet makes many feel more secure to post whatever they desire. But when in a face to face situation they might step back and be more polite. What is funny about caching is that many of those posting might actually meet others from here face to face someday at an event. I suggest that people think of that when they post or email. Because I like to travel, I have met a few so called "forum malcontents" and found that they were fun people in person. Interestingly a few also seemed nervous to meet me when they shouldn't have felt that. Anyway posting is just not the same as meeting face to face and I think people forget that in this sport that can happen.

In the end, I think manners are important, but I also think people should happily express their views. I only hope that they can do so in a polite manner. As much as forum angst can be amusing to read, it also sends a negative impression. It is very possible to disagree while being polite. Many here do that well. Unfortunately some do not. But that is life and the effect of the perceived annonymity of the internet.

Anyway, keep caching and have fun!!!!! ;)

What she said!

:D

Or her eyes roll up and she begins to fantasize about great fat mice clinging precariously to low-hanging branches, with their little feets so clingingly and their little tails so flippity and why don't he fall off that thing already. Eh?

You should come hang around my office. I see that sort of thing a lot.

Seriously. I do. :(

In the end, the supposedly annonymous internet makes many feel more secure to post whatever they desire. But when in a face to face situation they might step back and be more polite. What is funny about caching is that many of those posting might actually meet others from here face to face someday at an event. I suggest that people think of that when they post or email...

One thing I learned about discussion boards, forums, newsgroups, SIGs...whatever you want to call them...years ago was that t doesn't matter what you say or how you say it, you'll piss someone off somewhere.

So just go with it. Do what you want. say what you want and don't ever worry one whit about what others think. It's the only way to survive the internet. 

Talk about point-counterpoint. A friend once said that he wished he had learned much earlier in life that "you can disagree without being disagreeable." On the other hand, it does help to have a thick skin when you're flamed, so that you're less likely to respond in kind.

Nicely put, Carleen! :(

I'm sorry that people are rude to you about it, but - and I mean no offense by this - you really should get in the habit of using neat, somewhat-formal writing in the forums. I know some people just think it's too bothersome to change how they write, but your comments will be much better received if you do so. You'll be taken much more seriously, as well It's not that we (or anyone else on the internet) are a bunch of intellectual elitists... it's that it's very difficult to try to read one huge paragraph with no punctuation besides periods, no capitalization and very few proper sentence divisions (also, you should put spaces after a period. If it's the end of a sentence, then you should use two spaces.)

As Auntie said, I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread read through your whole post. It's not because we don't think what you have to say isn't worth reading; it's because reading a huge long paragraph like that is very bothersome.