Standings

lol top ranked geocachers.......i would say i am up at the top somewhere if you mean quality time caching.i would reather do an all day 4 start cache than 40 micros in the middle of a large town one every three blocks.so does that mean the guy running around getting 40 micros is a better cacher??hmmm.numbers are decieving.a top cacher to me is someone who takes there time to enjoy the site where i spent a day looking for just the right spot to place a cache and the 10 buxx or so it cost me to creat the cache and not someone who is going to run to it sign the log leave it half covered because they are rushing to the next cache to stay on goal time. sry for the rant just me 2 cents

Actually, power cachers suffer, since they have to log all of their finds afterwards which is a lot of work. So I think it all balances out in the end:

Quality finds --> fewer finds --> less tedious work --> enjoying the adventure

Quantity finds --> more finds --> more tedious work --> achieving a goal

I prefer the adventure side of Geocaching, since it's more laid back ;)

lol top ranked geocachers.......i would say i am up at the top somewhere if you mean quality time caching.i would reather do an all day 4 start cache than 40 micros in the middle of a large town one every three blocks.so does that mean the guy running around getting 40 micros is a better cacher??hmmm.numbers are decieving.a top cacher to me is someone who takes there time to enjoy the site where i spent a day looking for just the right spot to place a cache and the 10 buxx or so it cost me to creat the cache and not someone who is going to run to it sign the log leave it half covered because they are rushing to the next cache to stay on goal time. sry for the rant just me 2 cents

Hey, thanks ever so much for the off-topic, gratuitous insults. I'll be sure to avoid your caches so as not to disturb them.

Woohoo, i'm number 1629. If they add my 44 hides, that should bump me up a few spots. i checked the other link and it shows me to be #1625.

I'm at a caching stage where I prefer hard puzzle caches, or caches with at least a 2.5 * terrain rating. Last week, I did a combined 10 miles of hiking, found 40 caches, and loved every minute of it. I had fun, and that is what matters most to me.

Edited by Kit Fox
Sure it is...for some. I like the numbers. I don't have a whole lot of finds, but I like seeing how many I have, and how many others have. If there was an actual, accurate standings board I would be checking it out.

I am a numbers ho, to the point that my team skippped the number ho diner at GW3 to go on a numbers run. :( Try this linky link.

http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/

I had a chuckle earlier when I read a post that started 'I cached with the number three cacher in the world'. I bet that the referenced cacher doesn't see himself as the 'number three cacher', but as the luckiest person in the world. He's found a hobby that he loves and (likely) he gets to do it often. Great for him.

To those that claim that 'power' cachers don't have as much fun, I think you are crazy. These guys have a blast. You see, when you find a ton of caches in a day, the lame ones get lost. Plus, if you are caching with a buddy, even the worst lamo cache can be a blast.

Obviously from my counts you can tell I am not a numbers guy-- However, looking at these numbers is pretty intersting:

Found- F

Hidden- H

651---King Boreas---F- 394---H- 599

Wow-- more hides than finds.... Can you imagine trying to maintain 599 caches?

58---AirRaidFan---F-2570---H- 0

Hmm-- finding 2570 and not having the inkling to hide a few of there own?

Just some funny thoughts... :D

Edited by CW Iams
As has been said time after time, some people like to hide, others like to find. There are loads of ways to give back to the hobby. blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sorry-- I am relatively new-- I had not heard that said before... I was not pointing fingers; I just found it humerous.

Obviously from my counts you can tell I am not a numbers guy-- However, looking at these numbers is pretty intersting:

Just some funny thoughts... :D

This must be a miss print, I have found a good number of this guy's caches and I beleive he has more than 50 hides.

Just some funny thoughts...  :D

This must be a miss print, I have found a good number of this guy's caches and I beleive he has more than 50 hides.

Yup, he has 61 hides.

40 micros in the middle of a large town one every three blocks.

I wish someone would place 40 micros in my county. Heck, 5 wouldn't be bad either.

and not someone who is going to run to it sign the log leave it half covered because they are rushing to the next cache to stay on goal time.

Now, now. You have no way of knowing who is carelessly covering your cache much less how many caches they have found or what kind of hurry they are in or how good or poor a job they do when hurrying. Carelessly covering caches happens to almost all caches, power finders or no.

I had a chuckle earlier when I read a post that started 'I cached with the number three cacher in the world'. I bet that the referenced cacher doesn't see himself as the 'number three cacher', but as the luckiest person in the world. He's found a hobby that he loves and (likely) he gets to do it often. Great for him.

To those that claim that 'power' cachers don't have as much fun, I think you are crazy. These guys have a blast. You see, when you find a ton of caches in a day, the lame ones get lost. Plus, if you are caching with a buddy, even the worst lamo cache can be a blast.

Actually, he is quite proud of his achievement. He wears his red badge, stating his rank to all the geo events. He works 6 days a week and caches on his one day off. I'm impressed that he maintains his lead. Number 4 is trying to surpass him, so it keeps the pressure on him. We had a blast crossing rivers, and passing through dense, jungle like terrain on our 4 1/2 hour caching trip.

first off i would like to say i didnt mean all speed cachers leave the cache open but from my experiances(i only have 2 caches so i check on them every time they get found)often they are left more exposed or left laying on the ground when they were hanging in a tree by power cachers.i know this is a part of the game and that is why i check them every time.i do not mind it.at least they left it there.and when i get a log entry i usually go see how many they found that day.so i do know who finds a few and who finds alot in one day.so i do know what i am talking about!!any i will conseed the piont that speed cachers probable do have just as much fun as i do.just in a different way.and i do realize some places have no caches so micro's would be welcome sites.i was not trying to offend anyone.i was mearly trying to make my piont that you cant say the guy with the most finds is the number one cacher.oh and count me in on that fun off caching contest.

For what its worth, a quick check of his stats reveals that he has hidden 61 caches.

Stats are meaningless when they are inaccurate.

I agree-- I pulled that from the Link - Top 1000 Geocachers based on Caches Found above

Obviously it is not up to date.

Yes, that list seems to frequently be wrong about hides, but fairly accurate on finds. It's more than outdated as many of AirRaidFan's caches are over two years old, though he frequently hides more of varying difficulty ratings. He even archives some to open up areas for other cachers to place hides. The other list is the one I've seen referenced most often, but I don't mean to insult the other site. I know they're both trying to provide a service for themselves and others to enjoy.

I had a chuckle earlier when I read a post that started 'I cached with the number three cacher in the world'.  I bet that the referenced cacher doesn't see himself as the 'number three cacher', but as the luckiest person in the world.  He's found a hobby that he loves and (likely) he gets to do it often.  Great for him.

To those that claim that 'power' cachers don't have as much fun, I think you are crazy.  These guys have a blast.  You see, when you find a ton of caches in a day, the lame ones get lost.  Plus, if you are caching with a buddy, even the worst lamo cache can be a blast.

Actually, he is quite proud of his achievement. He wears his red badge, stating his rank to all the geo events. He works 6 days a week and caches on his one day off. I'm impressed that he maintains his lead. Number 4 is trying to surpass him, so it keeps the pressure on him. We had a blast crossing rivers, and passing through dense, jungle like terrain on our 4 1/2 hour caching trip.

So much for the benefit of the doubt... :)

As has been said time after time, some people like to hide, others like to find.  There are loads of ways to give back to the hobby.  blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Sorry-- I am relatively new-- I had not heard that said before... I was not pointing fingers; I just found it humerous.

Don't worry about Sbell. He's always that chipper and upbeat.

:lol:

Ugh.

IMHO: To say someone is #1 at something, is to say that they are the 'best' at doing it. I do not believe one can reasonably quantify, in any way, that any cacher is the 'best' at doing it; only that they do a lot of it. Having a huge number of finds or hides or both, whether they be little, big, huge, virtual, clue, or otherwise, does not say that someone is better at doing it. It just means that they have spent more time engaged in it.

Say a noob starts out caching tomorrow. This noob, after a couple of weeks, actually displays more talent at finding things than anyone that's ever played the game. But, he can only do it one day a month. His numbers will never be very high. Though, in theory, he could be the best there is.

What is being 'good' at caching?

"....'me tell you what, Jimbo, I gau-ran-tee you, you plant a cache up a bulls bottom, I'll spot that puppy from three farms away!"

Succesfully accomplishing something that requires varrying degrees of skill over and over again is not an illustration of a person's ability to do it. If I find 6000 caches, but can't find one that a person who has found 4 was able to find, wouldn't that sort of make him better at it than me...at least for the moment?

Truly ranking geocachers is, thankfully, not possible. And why would you want to anyway? Be enough without needing to think you are better than someone else.

--Chino

I had a chuckle earlier when I read a post that started 'I cached with the number three cacher in the world'.  I bet that the referenced cacher doesn't see himself as the 'number three cacher', but as the luckiest person in the world.  He's found a hobby that he loves and (likely) he gets to do it often.  Great for him.

Actually, he is quite proud of his achievement. He wears his red badge, stating his rank to all the geo events.

Well, I can say for certain that the number 1 ranked cacher doesn't flaunt her status. She's just like the rest of us - a very nice person who's into caching. I don't think I've ever even heard her mention ranks, and rarely does she even mention numbers. She does it for fun, like the rest of us... except I think she does it 7 days a week. I know she's got at least 2000 finds in the time it took me to hit 200. But talking to her, you'd never know it. If there's any kind of "celebrity status" in the caching world, CCCA has it. But when we're all sitting in a room talking about caching, the only noticeable difference between her and the newbies is she's got a lot more stories to tell. :laughing: