Durham Meet

after the newbie in durham thread and a meeting was suggested

how many cachers are there in durham area that would be interested in a durham meet, you dont have to be from durham obviously but would travel for a meet

what would you like to do at the meet?..........just a drink and chat? a few caches?

pub quiz? a buffet?

if i can get at least 10-15 definites i will organise something........the board inn at the top of the silly steps is actually quite a good idea as it has a marquee outside that can be used (and is less than half a mile from my home lol) but its not very central if anyone has any other ideas for the meeting place please put forward a suggestion

i would also suggest maybe the last week of the kids summer holiday but again im open to any other suggestions

please let me know what you all think

mandy

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

We'd definitely be interested and the pub Queeny suggested would be fine for us. For people who may travel from further afield though, it might be a good idea to have the meet closer to the A1 so it would be easy to get to. The area around Beamish is very nice. :grin:

The last weekend of the holidays seems a long way off - what about the weekend before they break up?

I think that if you arrange a start time around lunchtime, then people can choose whether to eat or not but drinks, chatting and new caches would get our vote. You could always use the pub quiz idea for a cache! :rolleyes:

the pub mentioned is very good for me :grin: but like i said im open to any suggestions,

i did not realise the end of the holidays was so far away toni, what about first or second weekend of the hols so the kids could be there too, would you be bringing your dogs, im sure they would be ok if we used the marquee i would have to check

would the idea of putting a buffet on for say 20 people and paying so much per head work or not?

i dont know if you have done the silly steps cache or not toni but there is no where up there to put another cache

what do you mean by putting pub quiz into a cache

more suggestions please

mandy

Hi Mandy

Im a newbie to this sport and a meet with more locals would be very good.Not sure if i could surgest anything new to this thread but would be very interested in the meet.

I have only found 3 cache's so far so if the meet could include a few around the area it could be a very good day.

Look forward to other replys.

Richie

Sounds like a good idea and will definately attend if I'm home. My schedule now has me home from 22 June - 18 July so the weekend of the 16/17th would work the best for me and there are currently no other events in the UK planned for that weekend.

I think that if you arrange a start time around lunchtime, then people can choose whether to eat or not but drinks, chatting and new caches would get our vote.

Get's my vote as well

another idea i have just had would be for a raffle, would a few cachers donate raffle prizes?

Would be willing to donate something.

right folks, so we are looking for a central pub for us all

2 people have suggested 17th July, that works for me ... can anyone not make it then?

nothing flash just a sit down with a drink and a chat for a couple of hours

11am - 2pm?

im sure we could do a bit of a TB drop too

would you be up for a fun quiz?

does anyone object to a raffle?

2 prizes so far (me and gforce)

does any one object to giving the money raised from a raffle to charity?

which charity? (i suggested the PDSA)

more input please

Yes, the 17 July is great for us fitting in between rock festivals, lol ;) Child friendly pub tho as Princess Freya and Lewy would love to attend. And I could drag Shamoon cachers along too which would be fun! Beamish pub is supposed to be nice and there are a fair few caches nearby and the obvious Open Air Museum. We could get a group discount??? The Silly Steps pub is child friendly I think and close to Crook way caches. Not too far from Durham. I can only think of the Honest Lawyer (nice food) but not sure of the kids rule...Shame the Cock of the Norths gone!

I would love to attend the Durham Meet as I want to attend a meet to meet some fellow cahers (a lot of meets in there aint there?) July 17 no good for me as I am in the local brass band (Bearpark and Esh Colliery Band (www.bearparkandeshcollieryband.co.uk)) and we are at Hartlepool that day and wont be back till 6pm ish. ;)

right folks, there is just no way i am going to be able to please everybody

i have just been on the the phone to the board inn, they dont have the marquee any more

and with july 17th being a sunday they serve lunches until 2pm, we can have the back room/restaurant area anytime after 2pm, the restaurant opens out onto a back grassed area with picnic benches, dogs will be allowed outside but not in the pub

would 2pm - 5pm be ok? or even later 5pm - 8pm its going to be light

the manager has offered a buffet at £3.00 per head if anyone is interested, but i have to give him numbers, to have free use of the back room we need at least 30 people

what i'm asking now is should i post this now as an official event and get it rolling?

i need feedback on buffet and quiz and raffle prizes

mandy

does anyone object to a raffle?

2 prizes so far (me and gforce)

does any one object to giving the money raised from a raffle to charity?

which charity? (i suggested the PDSA)

more input please

How long do the winners of the raffle get to keep You and Greg ?? ;):P:D

bit far for me. but you never know :D

Good luck with it :D

i am going to give this till about 10pm tonight to let folks see it then im gonna fill in the form and set it in motion

is there any way to find a list of durham area caches? i was thinking lots of people dont use the forum but might be interested in a meet

i will email everyone separately about the buffet, as i will need a £3.00 cheque as i dont want to order a buffet for say 50 and 30 people turn up and i have to pay for the 20 who did not turn up

so heres what we have Board Inn Langley Park, (silly steps cache, cant miss pub) Sunday 17th July 3pm - 6pm or when ever we leave

£3.00 per head for the buffet, we need 4 or 5 donated prizes some for the raffle and one for the quiz (no first second third prizes ect, if you win choose what you want) and the entry money for the quiz can be put into the pdsa fund too

is this about right

mandy

is there any way to find a list of durham area caches? i was thinking lots of people dont use the forum but might be interested in a meet

Once set you set up a cache page the local cachers will see it come up on their nearest list and you'll start to get more responses.

Count on us for 2 G Forcers and possibly a couple more.

Got your phone number! Will ring tomorrow...is that OK, BB about to start soon ;) It all sounds great! It would be nice doing some caching and haveing a tea time buffet (then latecomers can eat and its still early for people to drive home) Will donate a prize and I love the PDSA! Would be great if we could chip in for geocaching stuff we might need (Im out of pencils! and TB tags...) and share. For caches, get the postcode of the pub and do a search! All mine are to the south :( But I do like Silly Steps!

the event has gone to the approvers.

after a lengthy telephone call with Toni (travers) we might have a couple of extra caches too (not promising we will have to wait and see)

queeny i know nothing about buying geo gear as its not something i have ever done before, but if you are taking orders let me know i will have a few bits and pieces, i would definitely like a TB

Mandy

Hi Mandy

As I say I might not be able to get to this one. As you know (or might not) I have a few caches around the area and I am also in the final stages of putting a multi cache together which should be up and running by the time the meet is on. I have told Ryker to make sure Silly Steps is also up and running again.

I hope I can get to the meet, although I would be late, but in any case good luck with it, it sounds as though its going to be a gud un.

We will be in Durham from USA for 6 weeks starting July 4 would love to come to a meet in the Durham area would need help with directions. We would like to do some caching while in the UK and this would be a great way to get us going.

Count on 2 adults 2 kids ages 7 & 3

would bring something from the USA if you want just let us know asap

Amy Wife of Trailbuster

Edited by trailbuster

ok i'm the brazen one lol

beleive it or not i'm collecting state quarters.......i would be willing to pay for them in good old english pounds what they are worth on the exchange market

i will send you a list of the quarters i need if you would be willing to bring some over

other than that anything that is american and to do with geocaching as a keepsake would be very nice

i will be emailing your wife about caches tomorrow with a cache list so will add my quarters list

what dates are you here? and where abouts are you staying?

directions to the meet will be no problem nearer to the time

mandy

have you mentioned the meet to ryker?

Yes and told him to get Silly Steps cache up and running.

tell me more about the multi :lol:  :D  :D

Its a puzzle type multi cache based on musical notes. There are 6 or 7 micro caches that you need to find, when you have all these you need to work out the final coords using these notes and a tune. The final cache will initially have 5 musical instrument keyring TBs in it.

I hope I can get to the meet, although I would be late,

If Mrs G let's me stay out late I'll still be there in the pub :D

would bring something from the USA if you want just let us know asap

One of the new white Jeep TB's if you can get your hands on one.

Moss Trooper Posted on Jun 2 2005, 03:31 PM

Count me in.. If I can find the place.. future daughter in law nicked me GPS fer excersise Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ta fer Email Jess.. Woof Woof

Are you walking unaided yet Moss???

Not sure of the post code, but the pub used to be my local not too many years ago, it's roughly here.

Not sure if we can come I'm afraid, diary doesn't reach that far in advance. Can't commit to the buffet but will probably be able to pop in for a drink or two with the kids :D

Edited by Almo

hi folks

i have been on the phone again to the board inn to make the booking definite

the manager has asked me to inform everybody that the room we are going to use is a restaurant and is STRICTLY NO SMOKING the doors open on to a play area and picnic area and and you must smoke outside (it's ok you won't be alone i smoke too lol)

the postcode is DH7 9RL

speak soon

mandy

right folks the cache event is up and running (wooo hooo), so i am going to close this thread

please let me know on the cache page the numbers attending, i will contact each person seperately about the raffle prizes and buffet nearer the time

lets hope we have nice weather and a good day is enjoyed by all

please note i am in the lakes at the carry on camping event next week from thursday through to monday so i will reply to any quiries when i return (just so folks don't think i'm ignoring them)

mandy

hi folks,

things are starting to move now,

i have booked the room, arranged the buffet (but not numbers yet), the cheques are coming in

i have spoken to the PDSA about the money we raise going to them, and they will send a letter stating how much we sent

i have spoken to him upstairs about the weather! :P

we have had 6 really nice raffle prizes donated (more than 6 actually but 6 what i know what they are)

i need 2 raffle books and a quiz writing and 50 small prizes for Princess Freya's tombolas stall and some kind of a prize for the quiz and we are getting there (i'm not begging for these just telling you what i need to sort out lol)

would anyone interested in attending the meet please add their names to the cache page thread so i have numbers for the buffet

also i am going to make a certificate for each team that attends so i would like numbers for that too

i am going to copy this to the cache page to to make sure it is seen

just over 4 weeks to go,

see you all soon

mandy

i will be paying all the cheques i have received for the durham meet buffet into the bank on monday 11th july

also on the 11th i need to tell the manager of the pub the number of people requiring the buffet

so this is a final shout for anyone wanting the buffet

any late comers please reply on this thread or on the cache event page

mandy