Do I always have to trade for a TB?

ChiefPig

I took a TB from a cache today with the intention of moving it to the next cache that I was going to search for right after (in the same area). But I did not have anything for trade so I left nothing.

I figured that was OK since I won't be keeping the TB for myself anyways. I found the other cache and left the TB there and did not take anything from the second cache.

I know the basic geocaching rule is if you take something, leave something. Does this apply to TBs as well? Even if you are really just helping the TB to keep on moving? Do I always have to trade for any TB I take from a cache?

BTW, this was my first TB found so I was excited to move it to another cache icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by ChiefPig on September 06, 2003 at 08:29 PM.]

No. Just take it, LOG IT ON THE TB PAGE and move it on.

Logging it is very important and you need the secret number on the tag, so if you pick one up and drop it off without getting on the net in between, always copy down the number. I think this accounts for many times that a bug appears on the cache page that aint there.

No trade required. You can even go back to a cache you've previously found (or to your own) just to get or drop a bug- use a "note" log.

Hope this was helpful and not over helpful.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Actually, I did forget to take note of the bug number before putting it in the second cache icon_biggrin.gif

Fortunately, on my way home, I remembered that I needed the bug number. So, I went back to the second cache a few minutes later just to copy the TB tracking number.

I believe I logged the TB properly when I got home to my computer. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

Are "geocoins" in the same category?

It depends. Some are like travel bugs, and some are like signature items.

Moun10bike for example has some excellent coins. His preference is that if it's a well traveled coin to keep it moving like a TB and if it's relatively new/hasn't traveled much, it's ok to trade for it.

When in doubt email.

Personally, I always make sure that I trade for a TB. Usually, I trade up by alot. My theory is that the person that left the TB took something from the cach and only left the TB (I admit that I may be wrong), but this way I keep up the level of goodies in the cache. Also, I feel that a TB is actually worth something (maybe not to me) so I always make sure that I leave something of value in the cache when I take a TB.

Most of the time I don't take anything from a cache, but if I do take something (no matter what it is) I attempt to leave something of equal value or better. I try to use the greater value of: to the previous cacher, to myself, or to the TB owner.

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a broadband connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

I know the basic geocaching rule is if you take something, leave something. Does this apply to TBs as well? Even if you are really just helping the TB to keep on moving? Do I always have to trade for any TB I take from a cache?

Your a dadgum thief and should be banned!!!

Just kidding!! icon_smile.gif

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow action-smiley-076.gif

My understanding is that TB's are not regarded the same as trade items. You help move a TB along it's way to accomplish it's goal. Your basically a messenger moving the message along. I haven't traded for travel bugs or even taken anything for one of my travelbugs that I've started.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

There are some http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=82364. If you take a TB, you're expected to leave a TB.

Then there are "Hotels" designed to just get the traveller to where he wants to go.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=gc8f9c&Submit6=Find

From what I have read, there doesn't really seem to be a Yes or No answer to the original question. Most Travel Bugs have a "mission", so I don't think any trade items are expected in normal circumstances. Some Bug owners, or cache owners may put a little different twist to that in a cache they own, but you should be able to read that in the description of the cache.

Gary