Ok, It Is June. Where's The Jeeps?

bushwackin' schmo

Yahoo!  I just found my first one!

th_Jeep.jpg

No, you did not find it Rupert2, you got notified that a WJTB was dropped in one of your caches, and you did some "Cache matanence". :laughing:

Aparently you live equal distanant from the Cache as my sister, and got to it 20 minutes before her. She Called me in Arizona asking me if that was a "Legal" move. I told her Yep, basiclly an owner can do that.

Hopefully she will get to Find one soon :laughing:

Still waiting for any to show up in Minnesota. Doh...

Well I found a jeep at walmart today anyway, if anyone cares to send me a tag for it so I can get the icon, I'll happily send it on it's way :laughing:

Was my birthday saturday too, all I got was 2 DNFs, a far cry from my wishlist....

Edited by KC0GRN
Still waiting for any to show up in Minnesota. Doh...

Well I found a jeep at walmart today anyway, if anyone cares to send me a tag for it so I can get the icon, I'll happily send it on it's way :lol:

Was my birthday saturday too, all I got was 2 DNFs, a far cry from my wishlist....

Well, at least I can wish you HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The Jeeps will come in time (I hope).

Tagamet

PS None to be seen in Penna either,

No, you did not find it Rupert2, you got notified that a WJTB was dropped in one of your caches, and you did some "Cache matanence". :lol:

Aparently you live equal distanant from the Cache as my sister, and got to it 20 minutes before her. She Called me in Arizona asking me if that was a "Legal" move. I told her Yep, basiclly an owner can do that.

Hopefully she will get to Find one soon :D

That was amazing because I just happened to be in front of my computer then the owners log arrived (I had the kids packed up and was there within 5 min). I live only 1 mile from that cache. I am assuming I also live between your sister and the cache. I bet team Oldtimers has planted several around the general area. It is great to see the jeeps finally out.

Like KCOGRN I can't wait either. I just got back from Walmart after spending $1.97 for my own Jeep.

Somehow, it's just not the same. On Saturday, I even tracked down a Yellow Jeep TB from last year. Nice bug, but the wrong color....

Tagamet

Tagamet

Correction: None seen *yet* in the particular area of Pennsylvania that you searched.

I spent 11 hours this weekend on White Jeep distribution. They're finding their way into caches. Please don't over-generalize.

Tagamet

Correction: None seen *yet* in the particular area of Pennsylvania that you searched.

I spent 11 hours this weekend on White Jeep distribution. They're finding their way into caches. Please don't over-generalize.

I guess New York isn't TOO awful far away....

Tagamet

Like KCOGRN I can't wait either. I just got back from Walmart after spending $1.97 for my own Jeep.

lol! That mighta been the problem with the yellow ones last year, if only the same model was available at walmart, people mighta bought them instead.

Still no real white jeeps in MN, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. My offer still stands on just sending me a tag and I'll send mine out the door.

Tagamet

Tagamet

You know what? It's comments like yours that make me really wonder why I volunteer my time. Have fun with the Jeeps.

Tagamet

Tagamet

You know what? It's comments like yours that make me really wonder why I volunteer my time. Have fun with the Jeeps.

I'm sorry that my attempt at humor missed the mark. I've re read and re re read my post and still can't see the slur.

Sorry,

Tagamet

To me, the implication of your post was that you'd need to go to New York to find a White Jeep, since they weren't showing up in Pennsylvania. That is very demoralizing to read when one is working very hard to distribute them in Pennsylvania. They don't just parachute themselves into the geocaches.

To me, the implication of your post was that you'd need to go to New York to find a White Jeep, since they weren't showing up in Pennsylvania.  That is very demoralizing to read when one is working very hard to distribute them in Pennsylvania.  They don't just parachute themselves into the geocaches.

Even though I'm on the other coast, I appreciate your time and effort to distribute the WJTBs. (There are people in our area who did the same, to pull off a successful distribution here in California)

I guess the good news is that the promotion is working - people are getting impatient and losing capacity for rational thought. :)

Edited by budd-rdc
Although adding my two cents here it does look like about half of the original YJTBs were never even activated. Were they indeed sent out but never activated by those who were supposed to distribute them, or did Jeep drop the ball on distribution? Since I started actively caching in March of this year I'm just asking

In MN last year, it did not go well. Seems its going to be the same this year. :P

Its to bad an organization cant organize enough to do this. Maybe some local cachers could be used instead? I guess Ill send a note to my "local" approver :P

Oh well, I guess it'll be off to WI again if I want a shot at one.

Edited by Pto

Is the e-mail notification expected to be fixed soon or is it even a part of the contest anymore? I haven't seen the sign-up feature on the jeep TB page lately, does this mean we're on our own to watch the recent moves to find one that pops up in our area? IMO this makes it a little more work to find a WJTB and its already hard enough to find those little suckers!

Is the e-mail notification expected to be fixed soon or is it even a part of the contest anymore? I haven't seen the sign-up feature on the jeep TB page lately, does this mean we're on our own to watch the recent moves to find one that pops up in our area? IMO this makes it a little more work to find a WJTB and its already hard enough to find those little suckers!

I kind of like the fact that the email notification isn't working -- it makes it more interesting, and maybe it will give more people a chance to find one. There are very few WJTBs circulating in my state (Massachusetts) at the moment, and when I dropped one off in a cache on Wednesday morning, I expected it to be snapped up within hours. But it actually sat for more than 24 hours before being picked up.

I kind of like the fact that the email notification isn't working -- it makes it more interesting, and maybe it will give more people a chance to find one. There are very few WJTBs circulating in my state (Massachusetts) at the moment, and when I dropped one off in a cache on Wednesday morning, I expected it to be snapped up within hours. But it actually sat for more than 24 hours before being picked up.

I agree this email *error?* makes it easier to find a jeep tb for those of us who don't get to cache all day every day(like I want to). My main complaint has to do with sifting through hundreds of caches to find one that may or may not still have a jeep in it by the time I get to it. Maybe the solution is a pocket query for jeep TB's. What do you think?

In the Chicago area some were dropped anonymously into caches but not logged in so it would be a surprise to the next finder of a particular cache (So I heard anyway). If they were logged in then you would have the mad dash to the cache. It will be just dumb luck to find one initially.They were spread out very evenly throughout the entire Chicagoland area. (From what I understand)

Just a note to all out there.... some spend many hours assembling and placing these Jeeps for all to enjoy in their areas. Remember, they are volunteers who don't get paid to do things like this so others can enjoy geocaching. Please give them a break and don't complain. I know many are aware of this already but there are some who have not figured it out yet. :yikes:

Edited by Special Ed
If you want it to be totally fair and left to chance who gets the Jeep just say you left a travel bug in your log and don't actually place the Jeep on the cache page. Someone is bound to get a very nice suprise.

I like the intent of the idea, but I wouldn't underestimate the fanaticism of human nature.

I still think WJTB should be properly logged into caches. There's going to be a lucky few who might arrive at the cache before the person who dropped it off can log the drop, for a nice surprise. A little mad dash isn't a bad thing. It's better than fanatics figuring out the "dropped TB but no TB icon" tactic, only to backlash angrily when not finding the WJTB.

Just a note to all out there.... some spend many hours assembling and placing these Jeeps for all to enjoy in their areas.

. . and some dont.

The last round didnt go well in my area, I expect no less this time around. IMO, when the Jeeps are sent out to be distributed, they should be sent out into the caching world, IMO.

Maybe some form of random drawing could be organized, wher random cachers in any state could be contacted to organize some distribution ?

Just a thought ?

I am really interested in moving a white jeep TB along! This seems to be a great contest! However, if cachers just hold on to the bugs and just "virtually" drop them in, it doesnt seem like any fun. It doesnt seem like the true spirit of the game. How can I get one in that case? Is this part of the rules?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=189155

or if a cacher holds on to the bug and just passes the ID# around - and the bug doesnt go anywhere?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=192929

However, if cachers just hold on to the bugs and just "virtually" drop them in, it doesnt seem like any fun. It doesnt seem like the true spirit of the game. How can I get one in that case? Is this part of the rules?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=189155

He's only had that Jeep for a few days and he did say he's going to take it on a "great adventure". I've got a Jeep that I'm going to hold onto for a little bit until I get a real tough cache I have in the works listed. Maybe the other guy's doing the same, but just didn't say so in his logs.

"Ive completed the WJTB distribution for western Massachusetts. My eastern Mass counterpart is getting hers out as well.

Patience grasshopper."

This is a quote from WH on June 21st!!!

The addition of the monthly prizes has made this contest a mess. The rules concerning travel bugs are being used to deny participation by a great many of us. Not sure who these distributors are or how they were chosen or if they are eligable, but something stinks.

Just a note to all out there.... some spend many hours assembling and placing these Jeeps for all to enjoy in their areas. Remember, they are volunteers who don't get paid to do things like this so others can enjoy geocaching. Please give them a break and don't complain. I know many are aware of this already but there are some who have not figured it out yet. :lol:

Kudos to the volunteers, but Garmin and Jeep are running this as a promotion for their products and it is their responsibility to make sure it is run fair and square.

Massachusetts state commission will be made aware of the improprieties going on from the information I've collected so far opn this board.

Let me guess. The "Whistleblower of the Year" award from the Massachusetts Commission for the Equitable Distribution of Diecast Toys?

Hee-hee,

Big words from someone who received their first White Jeep TB in MAY!!!

Wasn't the contest advertised to begin on June 6th?

You held onto the other five pretty long too, huh?

Let me guess, you work for Jeep and are a consultant for Garmin.

Wait a minute, that means I'm a Jeep employee, too! Where's my paycheck... :lol:

Let me guess.  The "Whistleblower of the Year" award from the Massachusetts Commission for the Equitable Distribution of Diecast Toys?

Hee-hee,

Cowboy, I'm a shrink who's not employed by Gamin nor Jeep. Your prescription is to please take two aspirins and a friend to bed.

Remember "fun"? It's what we're supposed to be having.

The Jeeps are about to be distributed in PA, and I'm stoked as all get out. I'm just guessing, but I doubt that they'll be distributed BY the whiners. We really should be thankful for these people who invest their time and gasoline to further our enjoyment.

Be well (or at least better),

Tagamet

Let me guess.  The "Whistleblower of the Year" award from the Massachusetts Commission for the Equitable Distribution of Diecast Toys?

Hee-hee,

You could just as easily traveled all the way to Florida for GeoWoodstock and gotten two jeeps, just like I did. Your choice to lose out on them.

Over in the New England forum in response to your parallel rants there, I documented my timetable for distributing 180 jeeps that were delivered to my doorstep on June 6th. I'm down to three left. Like WH's fine efforts, my own work is beyond reproach.

Okay, I've got one, who wants it and how much do you want it? I take cash. :lol:

J/K

I think it's a great idea to place it in a cache and not drop it until someone else finds it. That would be a great suprise for someone. Unless someone really wants to send me some $$, I won't complain.

BEO

"You could just as easily traveled all the way to Florida for GeoWoodstock and gotten two jeeps, just like I did. Your choice to lose out on them."

This was advertised where? On the official contest page?

"I documented my timetable for distributing 180 jeeps that were delivered to my doorstep on June 6th."

Just curious, did you log these as a find? On your doorstep I mean? Is that what constitutes a find according to the rules?

It has become clear that I have touched a nerve with you oh-so noble "volunteers" that received contest entries for you troubles and the ability to block other contestants from entering for this month by holding onto bugs for as long as possible - I admit within the "suggested" time period.

Just don't try to bullcrap me that this contest is being run fair.

Hi again, person-who-can't-just-have-fun.

A quick check of my profile page will confirm that I've only grabbed those White Jeeps which I've actually "found" (2 at GeoWoodstock) or placed into caches (4 thus far out of 7 total that came from my shipment of 180). I didn't feel like wasting my time grabbing all of the other ones, but it wouldn't have mattered if I had. I can only enter the photo contest ONCE per month, if I chose to do so. Beyond the first Jeep, they're just numbers. I processed an additional 173 jeeps that are now finding their way into geocaches in areas like Charleston, Morgantown, Wheeling and Parkersburg, West Virginia; Erie, Warren, Sharon, Pittsburgh, Beaver, Washington, Waynesburg, Greensburg and Monroeville, Pennsylvania; and Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, Ashtabula, Newark and East Liverpool, Ohio.

I have watched this process from June 6th, when big boxes of unassembled jeeps and tags appeared on my doorstep, to June 21st, where I can see the fruits of my labor in the form of "found it" logs for jeeps in many of those far-flung cities. That is a monumental amount of volunteer work, on top of my regular day job. It is rewarding to see people finding the jeeps and having fun with the contest.

It is hard to have fun when you are being left out. Ever been not-picked?

Your hard work is appreciated. Thank you.

It seems odd, however, that unassembled bugs were being delivered on the day of the beginning of the contest. Does Jeep not know the rules about bugs? Especially considering that they statred on the 6th...giving us even less time to find and log a find and do the special photo?

Jeep and Garmin are large companies with lawyers and resources. The least they could do is to give us a chance. Bugs were being given out in May why were they not ready to go on the 6th?

If I had known it would have been this much trouble to get them out *I* would have volunteered. Where were you calling for volunteers? In the bowels of these forums where you can't find anything? It should have been posted on the geocache main page and the contest page if there was a porblem...ESPECAILLY SINCE THIS IS THE SECOND TIME.

I'd guess you wouldn't consider accepting any responsibility yourself judging by your responses "too bad" "go out and find one" "you should have been at bob's house when he was giving them out", but this contest is a mess.

It's not my contest. Go complain to Groundspeak, Rodale and Jeep rather than impugning the personal integrity of those who gave willingly of their time to assist in the contest so that others (not you) can have fun with it.

Still waiting to see your contest photo entry. You *DO* know that you can enter the photo contest even though you were unsuccessful in your effort to find one of the jeeps dropped previously in your area? There is no excuse for not having your entry ready by the end of the month. Perhaps you could post it here. I like looking at nice pictures.