Ok, It Is June. Where's The Jeeps?

bushwackin' schmo

TeamSnook has one...it is the same icon...different color...

The icons are not the same, there are many differences.

That's right

whitejeep.gifjeep4x4.gif

The yellow one has a rearview mirror, a differential, leaf springs, and a split windshield. The white one has a blue windshield.

The yellow also looks narrower, like an older model Jeep.

- But....how do you GET one?

Same as any other travel bug:

Search caches in your area, look for the white jeep icon, and run don't walk to find it before someone else does.

Attend an event where there might be some, and run don't walk, to find it before someone else does.

It's just like any other travel bug, it's goal is to move around, to be placed in caches, found, moved to another cache and so on. The object is not to get them and keep them. They are travel bugs, meant to travel. You can probably find the answer searching in any of the old yellow jeep TB threads too. I think a very small percentage of the Yellow jeeps are travelling still. Poeple seem to want to keep them for some reason. Cachers should take a picture, make some memories, enter the contest, and place it in another cache.

Although adding my two cents here it does look like about half of the original YJTBs were never even activated. Were they indeed sent out but never activated by those who were supposed to distribute them, or did Jeep drop the ball on distribution? Since I started actively caching in March of this year I'm just asking. :(

How's this for an idea to help keep better track of them.

Allow individual cachers to adopt the White Jeep TB's. This way, we can all help keep track of them as they circulate and send emails to those who grab em and wont't let go.

I understand that this won't stop them from disappearing but it may help slow it down a bit.

Edited by WH

There was such a stink about the jeeps last year, I'm not sure my local caching organization is even interested in dispersing a group this year. Sad honestly, but what can ya do. Is there a list going for individuals to get some this year to disperse? I know of a couple other cachers around here that'd love a chance to log one.

- But....how do you GET one?

Same as any other travel bug:

Search caches in your area, look for the white jeep icon, and run don't walk to find it before someone else does.

Attend an event where there might be some, and run don't walk, to find it before someone else does.

It's just like any other travel bug, it's goal is to move around, to be placed in caches, found, moved to another cache and so on. The object is not to get them and keep them. They are travel bugs, meant to travel. You can probably find the answer searching in any of the old yellow jeep TB threads too. I think a very small percentage of the Yellow jeeps are travelling still. Poeple seem to want to keep them for some reason. Cachers should take a picture, make some memories, enter the contest, and place it in another cache.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear...

I *know* how to *find* a travel bug. Clearly, there are some goecachers or someone else chosen to distribute the jeep bugs initially. I have and know of some good locations to drop some off - far more fitting than many of the caches which recieved the initial yellow tb deposits last year - and I want to know if it's possible that I coould actually *start* a few on their way...

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear...

I *know* how to *find* a travel bug. Clearly, there are some goecachers or someone else chosen to distribute the jeep bugs initially. I have and know of some good locations to drop some off - far more fitting than many of the caches which recieved the initial yellow tb deposits last year - and I want to know if it's possible that I coould actually *start* a few on their way...

Contact your local approver to offer your assistance. It is they who have the task of dispersing jeeps to the various areas they approve caches for.

Contact your local approver to offer your assistance. It is they who have the task of dispersing jeeps to the various areas they approve caches for.

Seems like that responsibility would fall to local geocaching groups rather than the cache reviewers.

Hmm.. I don't think anyone has been contacted at my state's organization about distributing these yet, though the people that did the distributing last year had a very bad experience with them, and I doubt those people are going to want to deal with more this year. I was going to be happy to step in and give a had so I can get some jeeps out in my area, but alas I'm stuck in the middle of not knowing much of the whole process. Shoot I just want the fancy icon....

Did I mention it's my birthday on Saturday? :D

i was wondering the same thing, I did email our area approver a number of days ago to ask and I've heard zippo back. I thought today was the big launch day ?, I live in the SF Bay area and as of midday today there are a total of 3 of these within a 45 mile radius, yet there are literally 100s of caches in the same area, doesn't seem like much of a launch :D

i was wondering the same thing, I did email our area approver a number of days ago to ask and I've heard zippo back. I thought today was the big launch day ?, I live in the SF Bay area and as of midday today there are a total of 3 of these within a 45 mile radius, yet there are literally 100s of caches in the same area, doesn't seem like much of a launch :D

The SF Bay area Jeeps are being delivered to Hemlock, who is in contact with the GBA (Geocachers of the Bay Area) for re-distribution. You can get updates on these via the GBA website at www.theGBA.net.

In addition, 36 WJTB's were distributed in San Jose over the weekend to attendees of the "Little Shop of Horrors" event. Nearly 80 cachers from all around the Bay Area attended, and the TBs were raffled off to assure fair distribution. All members present commited to moving the TBs from cache to cache and will be watching them to see that they keep moving.

Distribution arrangements similar to what workerofwood describes are now in the works all across the country. Many of the designated local recipients of WJTB's just received their boxes today, or are expecting them in the near future. You then need to remain patient while the Jeeps are prepared for distribution (adding the tags to the Jeeps, etc.).

Please don't worry if your local volunteer cache reviewer hasn't responded directly to your e-mail. I have received so many inquiries that I've found it impossible to reply to them all!

Happy to report we're moving the White Jeeps throughout UT and into WY and many were placed today and are on the move. They are very nice!!

So, what's up with the notification of a White Jeep being placed within 50 miles of the specified zip code? Definitely isn't working at this point.

AH!

Edited by Aim High!

White jeeps will be arriving in Massachusetts tomorrow and plans are already in the works for the Western part of the state. I have not finalized plans for Eastern MA .....but will distribute them to people and areas that will move them along accordingly and give everyone a chance to complete each months task and enter the contest !! WJTB party is happening soon!!! :huh:

We had several (10 I think) that went out from the GBES Navigational Rally banquet May 21st. LilDevil worked it out with Jeep that the GBES Rally was the initial launch point of the first Jeeps...

Next year maybe you could join us at the 2006 Rally and see what we have ;-)

I went to the Jeep site http://jeep.geocaching.com

but didn't see any way to signup and get notified when a White Jeep TB appears within my zipcode range as was available last year -

One of our cachers found the following link Jeep Promo at which many of us have registered to receive these notifications but doesn't appear to be functioning.

Groundspeak: What's the status on fixing this problem or have they just eliminated this feature?

AH!

are the white jeep icons working in the cache pages? i haven't seen any yet. i know the email notification isnt working yet, but if the icons would show up, i could sift through caches easier. instead of sitting on the jeep tb latest movement page all day. you know what i mean? well, do you?

are the white jeep icons working in the cache pages? i haven't seen any yet. i know the email notification isnt working yet, but if the icons would show up, i could sift through caches easier. instead of sitting on the jeep tb latest movement page all day. you know what i mean? well, do you?

Check out the event at the top of this list for Massachusetts.

Huh. I just looked at the contest page for the first time. You're supposed to take a picture of the TB at one of the three "goal" locations? Was it that way last year? I picked up a YJTB more or less by accident last year and entered the contest, but I don't remember goals being part of it.

I hope this doesn't mean people have to hold onto them longer in order to meet the requirement...

IF, and this is the big IF, people actually read the fine print, they should hold them less of a time this year. the site says IF the travel bug is not in the cache when you arrive, take a picture of your GPS unit showing the coordinates of the cache with the goal in the photo . So if you get to a cache and the Jeep is gone get a good pic and enter away.

The themes are new for this year's contest. So is the feature, just described, to allow a contest entry if someone goes to a cache in good faith, expecting to find a WJTB there, but discovering instead that it's already been taken.

EDIT: You can also submit two separate photos for that "consolation option" -- one that shows your GPS and the cache coordinates to prove you tried to grab a WJTB, and a second showing the goal location. This covers cases where the cache location doesn't match any of the goal locations.

Edited by Keystone
So is the feature, just described, to allow a contest entry if someone goes to a cache in good faith, expecting to find a WJTB there, but discovering instead that it's already been taken.

Heh heh. It was a kindness, given the disappear rate from last year's, but I can see that one being...stretched a bit. No, seriously dude. There was a WJTB in this thing. Check the logs.

On the other hand, it's a contest. They want us to be happy, get excited about their stuff, and enter.

I love capitalism.

So is the feature, just described, to allow a contest entry if someone goes to a cache in good faith, expecting to find a WJTB there, but discovering instead that it's already been taken.

Heh heh. It was a kindness, given the disappear rate from last year's, but I can see that one being...stretched a bit. No, seriously dude. There was a WJTB in this thing. Check the logs.

On the other hand, it's a contest. They want us to be happy, get excited about their stuff, and enter.

I love capitalism.

Isn't it the case that you can go to their site and just enter the contest? Although I sure intend to try to catch up with one of these TB's, the rules seem to allow you to just provide your identifying info and enter. Am I wrong on this? I'm a Noob, so I wasn't participating last year.

Thanks in advance,

Tagamet

There are two different contests. One is the jeep photo contest, the other is a regular sweepstakes where you submit contact info to enter.

When the jeep page first went up, there was a link on one of the main pages to get to that email update page. I signed up for it. After everyone started asking about if it was available, I went looking for the link, and it has disappeared. It's the same page as was posted above. Am really hoping they (or someone) gets a search working... wishing for a jeep in my area, and it doesn't look to me like there are hardly any out in Oregon at all yet. And going through page by page... well, my patience limit for that is about ONCE.