Geocaching Pack

dave1980

I have read different posts when some people mension about what they normally carry with them so i figured I would post a thread and see what everyone brings, I am guessing i'm going to have to pack a backpack just to carry some of this stuff. I figure i will be taking my wife and my 7 month old daughter on easy trail type caches where we can enjoy taking her for a walk and enjoy the day,

I guess all i'm asking is what are the essentials everyone takes varying from light walking caches to lets sky dive over to that island :o

My equipment consists of a iPAQ 4705 with the Delorme Earthmate Blue logger "backorder :P" and power cords for car for both items, so what do you pack, I figure i might need to go buy a fanny pack also :D

i already figure a mini first aid kit and flashlight and definately batteries.

fanny pack for keys and bluetooth gps unit and cellphone and other minor things.

Edited by dave1980

I have a hunting fanny pack (called a day pack) that I take. It has some basic first aid stuff, some Clif Bars, batteries, a regular compass, whistle, and basic survival gear. Not that I plan on using the survival gear but you never know when you may get caught in an unexpected downpour in the woods. Water is a must. I always carry a good pocket knife, too. Never know when that psycho squirrel will attack! LOL :D

This was my winter setup. The camera is missing because I used it to take the picture. For the summer I've removed the down vest, wool hat and gloves and added insect repellent, a thin fleece shirt, nylon windshirt, sunscreen and sunglasses.

8a545f05-6a98-404d-a4f4-88273d56ee0a.jpg

It all goes in here:

131ca223-81d9-43d5-b951-76b33893258c.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Pack - Camelbak Trail Blazer, 70 ounce bladder

contents :

Handspring Visor for paperless caching

Magellan Meridian (not new, but very trusty)

Extra batteries

Nikon digital camera

bag of assorted swag

Water bottle for my son

food/snacks for me and my 4-year-old

- GORP

- Granola Bars

- Pop Tarts

- Ziplock of Cheerios

Hikers First Aid Kit

Wet Wipes

Small bottle of hand sanitizer

Survival Whistle

Compass

A s*** kit (Ziplock with campers TP and small bottle of Dr. Bronners)

Trowel

Small Rite in the Rain notebook and pencil

bandana

Hat for son

Emergency poncho

A small fire kit

Cell phone

keys

extra Ziplocks and some "On the go" garbage bags for CITO

My trekking poles are always in my car, for those really long hikes or poking around in places I might not stick my hand.

Thinking about adding :

rain jacket

extra clothes for son

extra socks

a flashlight, since I don't normally carry one

An Exstream water bottle/purifier I just picked up on clearance.

Edited to add extra Ziplocks and garbage bags, as well as Exstream water bottle

Edited by RLNuts

Most of the time, I forgo my pack. Most times, I have my 3+ in my hand, my pda and cell phone on my belt, and a pen in my pocket. Maybe, I'll have a trink in my pocket also.

In the Jeep, I normally have a small pack with all the usual items in it. Flashlights, batteries, compass, small first aid kit, DEET, pens, a good selection of tradeables, a multi-tool, rain gear, CITO micros, extra log books, a stamp pad and stamp.

Also in the Jeep, I keep at least a case of water (I throw some in the pack as necessary), a small duffle full of spare clothes, a towel, and toiletries, an ammo can full of cache repair goodies, a jacket or two and, typically, a box each of granola bars and jerky. An umbrella is handy as well as a collapsible walking stick (which too often doubles as a cane).

I don't keep a camera in my car, anymore. The digital I was using is a piece of junk and my Canon is too expensive to risk having it stolen. Cathy won't let me cache with her new digital.

edited to add cel and compass. I probably forgot fifty other things.

Edited by sbell111

We are new too so up until now, we didn't even have a set pack. But after this last weekend, I decided to put one together.

Keep in mind that these are drivebys or short hikes since we are hauling our 4 kids with us.

Small backpack containing:

small first aid kit

a couple of pens

a small notebook

trading swag

2 water bottles

camera

bug spray

compass

cellphone

GPS in the hand

Edited by fishfam

My back usually contains:

Camera in Ziploc bag

Gloves

GPS attached to one strap

Cell Phone to the other

Small pocket knife

TP (incase of emergency)

2 Bottles of water (more if with a

1 bag of cereal

Sunglass case

Plastic bag for CITO

Swag to trade

2 pens

extra ziplocs to leave if a cache if it needs it, when I rememeber

Tension Bandage

Little bottle of waterless soap

Ten Essentials.

Clothing appropriate to the weather, allowing for whims of the Weather Gods.

Spare pens/stubby pencils to leave in caches without.

Trekking poles.

Rubber gloves, just in case I come across a micro in the mud (likely in WA).

Items of various "denominations" for trade.

Notebook of coords (I don't cache paperless). Notebook is good backup in case I entered a number incorrectly into the Summit.

Hat.

Sunscreen, bug foo.

The car keys! The car keys! The car keys! (After one experience, I say that to myself three times before I close the door.)

For urban caching I always have a small mirror and a flashlight for finding those evil micros and concealed waypoints, and some gloves are good for all caching excursions. I grew up in places where bad creatures lurk out of sight, so I'm rather cautious about blinding sticking my hand into spots I can't see just to add a smiley :lol: to my stats.

Out on the trail I just add my caching goodies to the usual outdoor essentials (fairly well represented above).

--> gps, pda, compass, swag, extra batteries, and a pen and pencil

In addition to a lightweight hiking staff, the following is an article I wrote for "Today's Cacher" a couple months ago:

Pack Heavy, Pack Light

A couple of years ago, I discovered Geocaching, and after our first find, my 2 youngest kids (Sabrina, 9, and Anthony, 11) and I were “hooked”. But as our “find” count increased, so did the difficulty level of many of our cache excursions. While I thought nothing as a kid of spending the entire day hiking in the canyons near my home with nothing more than a BB gun and a pocket knife, as a parent my primary job is keeping my own kids safe, and I wanted to be prepared for any contingency that might occur on the trail. I also felt that it was a good lesson to my kids to leave nothing to chance. The question was, how could I carry supplies sufficient for a possible unplanned overnight stay in the wilderness, while maintaining a pack that’s light enough and convenient enough for even a short 1 hour hike?

Fortunately, today’s backpacking technology makes it possible. The first item purchased was what is known as a “hydropack”. These are relatively small backpacks with an internal “bladder” for water, and are available in many sizes and configurations. Mine is only 8”w x 16”h x 6”d, and my son’s is 7”w x 14”h x 4”d. Each has multiple pockets, padded shoulder straps, a waist belt, and a 2-liter, freezable water bladder with a hose and “bite valve” allowing you to drink without stopping or removing a cap. An inexpensive “ball” style compass attached to one shoulder strap and a GPS carry case on the other strap completes each pack. Shop around for prices and styles; ours are good quality and yet cost less than $35 each.

A first aid kit is a must for any long hike, and with careful planning, a small but full-featured kit can be assembled. While mine only measures about 3.5”x3.5”x5”, it includes an instant icepack, Ace bandage, various sized band-aids, butterfly closures, gauze, adhesive tape, antiseptic, bugbite swabs, iodine swabs, alcohol pads, cotton balls/swabs, CPR mask, eyewash, smelling salts, Tylenol, chapstick, muleskin, and a snakebite kit. My son carries a bit smaller, less extensive kit in his pack as well.

If you do end up stranded and must spend the night, a few well thought out items can make a huge difference. A 99 cent rain poncho, a silver mylar survival blanket (which can be used as a makeshift tent, as well), a couple of cyalume light sticks, and disposable handwarmers make an overnight stay bearable, even in inclement weather. Add a decent compass, a signal mirror, a whistle, a small flashlight (LED types are lightweight and have extremely low battery consumption), firestarter sticks, waterproof matches, and some rope ( I carry 50’ of 1/4”nylon) and you’re set. I’ve also added a couple of straps to the bottom of our packs that allow us to easily carry a tightly rolled sweatshirt or jacket. You never know when the weather is going to take a sudden turn for the worse!

Of course, don’t discount the value of simple creature comforts. I carry a small roll of toilet paper (roll it up and put it inside an empty cardboard toilet paper tube), a washrag, a hotel-sized bar of soap, bug repellent wipes, and sunscreen wipes, along with a good pocket knife, a leatherman-style multi-tool, a backpacker’s cable-style saw, nylon cord and strap hardware (for pack repair), some duct tape, and of course spare batteries. Geocaching-specific items include a small trash bag (CITO!!), a logbook and pencils, maps and cache notes, a credit-card style calculator, and of course SWAG. To finish it all off in a high-tech way, a pedometer, cell phone, camera and mini-tripod, and 2-way FRS radio. For munchies we usually carry some beef jerky, granola bars, and trail mix, along with a couple of extra bottles of water if it’s particularly hot out or we are planning on a longer hike.

Overkill? Some would certainly say so. But I would rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. As a parent, it is my responsibility to be prepared for any contingency when taking my kids into the great outdoors, and I refuse to leave that to chance. I’ve known people who have spent an unplanned night in the wilderness in inclement weather without being prepared, and they were not a pretty sight when they came out the next day. And believe it or not, my pack weighs in at only about 10-12 pounds, including water, which makes it convenient as well as effective.

So take it from me, with a little thought you can pack heavy while still packing light!

Edited by 4x4van

Briansnat, that is a great pack right there!

For me it all depends on time for preperation and length of cache.

The other day I had a long walk, but a quick jaunt into the woods. I threw a prize in my pocket. Had the GPS in one hand and the camera around my neck and that was it.

However, I do have a CachingPack prepared for the longer days and longer journeys:

Backpack:

- DEET

- three kitchen knives (one on the bigger side)

- Swiss Army Knife

- Waterbottle

- Cell Phone

- Extra pens/pencils/log books to leave

- Elastics

- Rope

- Extra Zip Lock Bags

- My personalized Caching Cards

- Scotch Tape

- Zip Lock Bag Full of Goodies

- Extra Socks

- Compass

- Print Outs

- Hat

- Gloves

- Cache Journal

- Washcloth

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. But it is fun to go into outdoor stores and Army Navy Supply Stores tothink of things to add!

Mine?

DEET

Swiss Army

Compass

Parachute Cable (Smaller and lighter than rope for assist, etc)

First Aid kit

water bottles

small snack stuff

Swag

Pen

Flash light

waterproof matches

gaiters

hat (boonie)

extra GPSr food

for longer caches or more rugged and more risk of injury, space blanket and MRE pack

digital camera

Of course I carry it for me and the kids. They are young and their packs only contain first aid kit and swag.

hey kent where can i get some MRE's? i have searched a few places but they are waning 100 dollars for just 12 of them i dont know if thats a good price or what, i remember my dad was in the service and we would love it when he took some home for us hehehe it was great :(

hey kent where can i get some MRE's?

MRE's are always going to be expensive. This is due to the fact that they are designed for military use. They are required to resist spoiling in severe temperature extremes, and long term storage. They can be thrown out of airplanes and not go splat....etc. You're average hiker doesn't need emergency food that is 'combat ready'.

Having said that; One MRE pack does contain a great deal of stuff for that time when your fun little day hike turns pear-shaped and you're hoping to live through it.

If you want to have a couple of them for emergency rations, you can get them individually (saves you from having to buy a case for 100 $$) at military surplus stores and a variety of places on line. I think brigade quartermaster sells them individually. If not, try www.cheaperthandirt.com

What I pack: Short hike

Small Camelback

GPS

Digital Camera

Ipaq

Small first-aid kit

Snake bite extractor (I live in Tucson)

A few bits of swag

Long hike: everything from above +

The BFM (worlds largest Camelback)

Huge first aid kit

Signal mirror

Strobe light

4 watt radio

Cell phone

knife

poo poo paper

folding shovel

flashlight

compass

bug spray

emergency food

cigarette lighter

disposable poncho

batteries for the GPS (no fun if it dies)

hat

gloves

9mm automatic pistol (I live in Tucson...it's near mexico...there are drug traffickers and people smugglers in the desert...I'm not a nutcase)

--Chino

Edited by Sonoran Privateers

With my kids I have a pack containing lots of swag for them to trade, a walking stick all of us, mine has a leather rope on top, camera, pen, pencil, TB tags, PDA and GPSr. Without the kids I carry PDA, GPSr, Pencil, small container with two or three swag. All depends on where and with who I am out geocaching with.

I know this is a GPSr-centric sport/game and such, but I am frankly surprised that even for long hikes, I didn't see anyone mention bringing a map? Maybe it's just different out here in the mountains, but there's usually at least a couple of people every year who get lost and don't get found for days. If I'm hiking anyhere that I don't see houses, I carry a compass and a USGS quad map for the area that I am in, and each surrounding quad too. Maybe it's overkill, but I don't want the choppers out looking for me!

In response to the earlier question, the ten essentials are:

Map

Compass

Flashlight/headlamp

Extra food

Extra clothing

Sunglasses

First aid supplies

Pocket knife

Matches

Fire starter

Add to that, lots of water, and/or a way to make potable water, either purification tabs or a filter.

For Microcaches or Virtuals:

• GPSr

• A couple of extra sets of batteries for the GPSr/camera

• printed copy of the cache pages that you have planned to visit

• a couple of pens or pencils (to sign the logbook or to leave in those caches that don't have one)

• some 35mm film canisters with logbook/stash notes (for on-the-fly micro caches)

• digital camera

• sunscreen

• compass

• map of the area

• spare change

For Traditional Urban Caches, Add the Following:

• trade items

• extra log book (in case the one in the cache is full)

• Ziploc bags

For Other (Rural) Caches, Add the Following:

• water

• snacks (my personal favorite item!)

• cell phone

• hiking stick (also good for prodding in leaves or brush while looking for the cache.)

• small first aid pack (keep it stocked!)

• multitool (such as a Leatherman)

• small flashlight (one with same size batteries as your GPSr)

• safety whistle (one for each person in the party)

• lighter and/or waterproof matches and/or monocular

• fire starter bricks or balls

• large emergency blanket (can also be used for shelter)

• large trash bags (for CITO. Can also be used as an emergency poncho or for water collection.)

• insect repellent (Deep Woods Off is great. Wipes are also available and would be very convenient.)

• bathroom tissue

• water purification tablets

• Pocket Fisherman!

Edited by Gaddiel and OrangeDanish

I pack a lot of stuff in my backpack, then may or may not just bring a few things along or the whole pack...depending on terrain, distance, weather, etc.

About the only thing different between my backpack and some of the larger pack lists posted above, is my walking stick is not the lightweight collapsible alluminum kind, but a seasoned oak stick about as thick as my wrist and 4-5 feet long that I've had for around 12 years. A lot of my caching is done in state parks, etc., no firearms allowed...the larger oak stick has a comforting heft but isn't too heavy, is still good for poking around in places I don't want to put my hands, and I could probably pry the rear end of my pick-up off the ground without breaking it!

I know this is a GPSr-centric sport/game and such, but I am frankly surprised that even for long hikes, I didn't see anyone mention bringing a map? Maybe it's just different out here in the mountains, but there's usually at least a couple of people every year who get lost and don't get found for days. If I'm hiking anyhere that I don't see houses, I carry a compass and a USGS quad map for the area that I am in, and each surrounding quad too. Maybe it's overkill, but I don't want the choppers out looking for me!

In response to the earlier question, the ten essentials are:

Map

Compass

Flashlight/headlamp

Extra food

Extra clothing

Sunglasses

First aid supplies

Pocket knife

Matches

Fire starter

Add to that, lots of water, and/or a way to make potable water, either purification tabs or a filter.

When I'm caching in the mountains and desert surrounding Tucson, I don't take a map cuz I've taken the time to learn my own back-country. I couldn't get lost around if I tried. However, when I'm in someone else's backyard...I'll be havin me one of those there maps :-)

--Chino

--I have an existential map, it has "You are here" written all over it.

-Stephen Wright

haven't done any long range caching yet. Simple pack for simple good times

Camel back hod (100 oz.) with swag, eX600 and merplat, camera, Palm M515 for paperless, 2 pens, cell phone, and Gorp. Like the longer lists though.

i pack all the basic essentials listed above...but i think i have crossed the geo-geek line. I pack an HP dv1010ca notebook and a Sony ericcson Edge PC card so i can logon and view caches anywhere there is cell service. Call it Extreme Paperless Caching. :huh:

Edited by alpinius1
i pack all the basic essentials listed above...but i think i have crossed the geo-geek line. I pack an HP dv1010ca notebook and a Sony ericcson Edge PC card so i can logon and view caches anywhere there is cell service. Call it Extreme Paperless Caching. :laughing:

Hey, whatever makes it a good time. I don't care if you're out there with a flux capacitor operating at 1.1 gigiwatz.

--Chino

:laughing: In my pack?? Geeee thats sorta persoanl ya know. Okay, here goes.

Extra ziplock baggies

trach bag for CITO work

camera

extra batteries

more batteries

trade goodies

pens in various stages of working

extra GPS'r old Garmin 12 (love it)

stuff

six pack of beer

cooler for beer

kayak

paddle for kayak

sleeping bag

coleman stove

complete setof gourmet cookware

cook

food for gourmet meels on the fly

tuxedo for fancy caches

inflatable doll, gotta have a date for them fancy caches

complete set of World Book encyclopedias

and then i occasionally toss in a few cooies for the trek to the cache

I think thats all,really, I like to travel light.

happy cachin'

I always carry about three items of swag, my GPS, five writing utensils (1 Sharpie, 3 pens, and a pencil,) and about 25-30 cache containers. I have some very evil ones that will only work if i find the perfect place for them, so I carry them all with me. I usually leave the bag of stuff in the car. I don't trade much, so I don't carry the swag to caches unless I know there is something cool in them. I don't need the containers if I am going to find a cache, they are for the drive, in case I find a great spot. I usually take two writing utensils with me on my hunts, the sharpie and a pen.

Oh yeah, and sixteen batteries.

[Edited to include batteries.]

Edited by CoasterKid