Ban Micro Caches

Rocky Road was rude to me.  I demand an apology. :)

LOL :lol:

I accept your apology on behalf of RockyRoad

You guys are faster than me, I planned something evil like this! Appologies not accepted, I say we ban micro's and Jeremy :laughing:

that doesn't change the fact that rocky road is a rude, spoiled little child, and there's no excuse for the rudeness of those marshmallows or those little nuts!

How do I get a 'Signal eating ice cream' smily?

You "demand" one from Jeremy in a not so polite way. Jeremy will respond in a similar tone. You then open a new thread and call Jeremy an arrogant, childish ... yadda yadda ... Jerk (who is not as smart as ... yadda ... toadies think). In the following heated flamefest you piss off the rest of us and finally get banned. After that, you don't need one, so the problem is solved ... sort of.

Not really ... and it isn't very genuine anyway.

You could produce the required animated gif yourself (or find someone who does) and just send it to Jeremy. I am sure it'd find its way into the system.

Jan

You could produce the required animated gif yourself (or find someone who does) and just send it to Jeremy. I am sure it'd find its way into the system.

You just read my attempt at finding someone who can produce said gif. :)

(Aha! Now I know that it's a gif. I'm getting closer to fulfilling this need.)

Edited by sbell111

You just read my attempt at finding someone who can produce said gif. :laughing:

(Aha! Now I know that it's a gif. I'm getting closer to fulfilling this need.)

Is that a subtle hint?

I probably forgot to mention that I am male. As a rule of thumb, men do not react to subtle hints. We don't react to strong hints either. Nor do we understand obvious hints. If you want something then say it!!! :)

Jan

PS: it might take a day or two ... but I will try to come up with something.

Is that a subtle hint?

I wasn't begging you specifically. It was more of a general desire that needed fulfilling.

I appreciate your efforts and accept your apology. :blink:

How about this one as a first prototype?

sig_icecream.gif

Jan

Is that a subtle hint?

I wasn't begging you specifically. It was more of a general desire that needed fulfilling.

I appreciate your efforts and accept your apology. :blink:

How about this one as a first prototype?

sig_icecream.gif

Jan

Nice. I want one.

I, personally, don't mind micros if it is an interesting place and a bigger cache would get muggled there. And as long as I know what the container will look like. At least let me know if it is one of those I saw on Ebay that looks like something found in nature. There's a guy making acorn and pine cone shaped micros. There was one that looks a butterfly, too. Those would be tough to find in the right area.

And I love almost any kind of ice cream, but especially Moose Tracks!

I like micros, but what do I know?

What flavor?

keyholders, chapstick contains, and such. Micros are good for places that a bigger cache can't be hidden (IMHO). I'm all for using the biggest container possible for an area (as I belive was disccussed above), though. I'm sorta a newbie at this point, the number for xvegan88x is the number that I have signed the logs on, I have gone caching with other people before anyone says I haven't found many micros...

For those of us with disabilities, it's nice to walk in an urban area and be able to scope out a micro. I find them a lot more challenging than to traipse through the woods to find the standard ammo can filled with golf balls, McDonald Happy Meal Toys and hotel shampoo bottles.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but I think both are equally valuable to different people.

Quite honestly, if I had my choice of seeking a micro or seeking an ammo can, I'd just as soon challenge myself with the micro. Besides, the kids always fight over who gets to trade swag in the large cache, and with a micro, we don't have that problem.

Don't ban them. Just hate them secretly. :blink: Just my .02

I got tired of reading all the same complaints, over and over, so I will just make my comments without reading most of them.

Well I guess those micro hating Geocachers really won't want to do a lot of my caches. But then again, I get the impression they want the larger containers that are easier to find. Probably a case of poor eyesight. :laughing: I don't mind putting out the ammo cans, but I get discouraged having to replenish the contents so the ammo can lovers can raid them. After that happens enough I just archive it or change it to a micro. I have put out micros that are easy to get to, no bushwhacking required, very visible and easy to retrieve. I wish you luck if you think you can just walk up to them and find them immediately. Here are a few reasons why I put out the micros: they don't require a lot of hiking in the hot Florida sun, they are relatively easy to get to for those that are handicapped, and it really is hard on me doing long hikes. With that said, some of mine you can drive to within a few feet of them, but they will tax your brain trying to find them. I put mine out for those that enjoy the hunt, the the long hot hikes are too much to do, and the knowledge that if they don't find it, they will just be able to get right back in their car and head to the next spot. Do I only hunt micros? Nope, I do them all.

For those that say their kids get discourage about not finding anything to trade, I think what is being said is that the parent is using this as an excuse to complain on this thread. :anicute: If a child knows, in advance, that there will be nothing to trade then they shouldn't get discouraged. It seems that the adult is not educating the child as to what this sport is about and what will be there when they find it. There is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We have kids in this area that like trading but also like to beat their parents to the micros.

I know that not everyone likes micros, so I have also put out some regular caches as large as 16" wide and 16" high, that you can drive right up to within a few feet of them, no bushwhacking required, they are in plain sight and easy to retrieve, and they are just as difficult to find as my micros. :rolleyes:

Don't like micros...then don't go after them. Don't really understand the constant bitching about them. Personnally I don't like them either unless it's 90+ degrees out with high humdity and the PI is neck high or if I happen to out on the road traveling for work or vacation and can stop and break up the trip with a quick find. In those situations give me micros every time.

The beauty of this sport is you can pick an choose what you are going after. If you don't like the size, look, sound, location or name of cache then don't go after it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you hunt micros.

Keep it real and enjoy! :laughing:

It's been said before, there are so many folks who would rather just put out a micro that you could split off non-trading hunts from the "real" caches.

It is about geocaching right?

I think that's what the OP was complaining about--a non-trading micro where a larger cache could be placed.

Don't like micros...then don't go after them. Don't really understand the constant bitching about them. Personnally I don't like them either unless it's 90+ degrees out with high humdity and the PI is neck high or if I happen to out on the road traveling for work or vacation and can stop and break up the trip with a quick find. In those situations give me micros every time.

The beauty of this sport is you can pick an choose what you are going after. If you don't like the size, look, sound, location or name of cache then don't go after it. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you hunt micros.

Keep it real and enjoy! :laughing:

Its been said before, but in some areas if you don't like micros, you don't geocache because that's pretty much all there is. If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel. But what if every channel is showing American Idol?

... At least let me know if it is one of those I saw on Ebay that looks like something found in nature. There's a guy making acorn and pine cone shaped micros. ...

Somebody has an awful lot of nerve making micros that look like that. I'm gonna go find that guy and give him what for. <shaking fist in the air> :laughing:

As a relative Newb, (32 found) I was already starting to understand the rift between micros and regulars before I found this thread. But that kinda changed a little when I found this one. There is only 2~3 places other than the hiding place, and that leaves one to really think about the options. Confounding the search was a DNF on the log prior. But I spent some time, and eventually "something" caught me eye, and there it was. It was a container I hadn't seen before, and placed to make it just a bit of a thinker's challenge, but not impossible like a fake leaf or pinecone. I hope to find, and maybe even place, a lot more like this one.

However, having said all that, I'll bet that once the landscaping is in, the DNF's roll right in. :laughing:

Its been said before, but in some areas if you don't like micros, you don't geocache because that's pretty much all there is. If you don't like what's on TV, change the channel. But what if every channel is showing American Idol?

That's quickly becoming the case around here.

About 6 months ago I ran a PQ of the nearest caches then filtered out all micros. I also removed all multis that require someone to find micros as well as all caches that had their size mis-identified, i.e. a micro listed as a regular cache. That left about 40% of the caches.

I re-ran this exercise about 2 weeks ago. Now it's down to 34%.

It's getting a bit harder for those who don't like to hunt micros.

...It's getting a bit harder for those who don't like to hunt micros.

I disagree.

I actually like micros just fine, but to play along, I just ran a PQ of all regular, small, and large caches within 20 miles of my home. I came up with 150 caches. As in your area, this is about a third of the total caches, but it assumes that 'unknowns' and 'others' are not 'regular' caches.

When I started playing the game, there were two or three caches within 20 miles of my home. It looks to me like its easier to hunt for caches whether you like micros or not. In fact, if you just plain don't like micros all you have to do is what you and I just did. Run a PQ without them included.

This exercise presents micros as a problem that is taking over, but the fact is, that's not true. In most cases, micros are placed in places that you would never put a 'regular' sized cache. If you prefer hikes with ammo boxes covered by sticks at the end, micros aren't taking away anything from you. Micros are not pushing regular-sized caches out of the game. It is natural to see a percentage increase in micros because many more places can support a micro v a larger cache.

If it is true that an area is running out of regular-sized caches to hunt, it is because you and your friends who like these caches aren't hiding any, not because too many micros are being hidden.

Is it too early for ice cream?

Edited by sbell111

Is it too early for ice cream?

:rolleyes: It is NEVER too early for ice cream...if it is chocolate

Since nobody had any "change requests", I already sent Jeremy the "icecream signal" asking if he could add it to the available emoticons. No reply yet though. Those who really need it badly might consider nagging him a little.

And sorry, no chocolate, it's raspberry! sig_icecream.gif

Jan