Ban Micro Caches

Which is more elitist, the fact that many of us hang out in the forums, or that someone would assume that we don't know anything about the hobby because we post here often. :(

For years, I taught business classes at a local college. Does the simple fact that I taught the classes mean that I didn't know what I was talking about?

If I talk about ice cream alot, but only eat it on the weekends, does that mean that I can't judge whether butter pecan is a good flavor?

Edited by sbell111

Finally the thread returns to something sensible. I think butter pecan can be an excellent flavor, but it is one of the trickier ones to make well. Not all butter pecans are superbly tasty. :D

BTW-my finds>>my posts. :D

So do I not know anything about geocaching, or do I spend too much time hanging around here, or am I having FUN keeping my balance right where I like it to be? :(

Hmmmph . . . butter pecan is for old folks, my mom liked butter pecan in the 50's, even as a child I knew better. It was only after they created Rocky Road that ice cream reached the pinnacle, it was done, everything else is downhill. Let's be real!!!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX
Ya know, they all have a descrition on the package, just under the name, right?

Fudge-Covered Peanut Butter-Filled Pretzels in Vanilla Malt Ice Cream Rippled with Fudge & Peanut Butter

Gross. Curse you for bringing that to my attention!

Ah man, its all good!

What’s not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? Gooooood

This is the thread that never ends

It just goes on and on, my friend.

Some people started doing it not knowing what it was

Now they'll just keep on doing it forever just because

This is the thread that never ends.....

(repeat)

(repeat)

(repeat)

:D Butter Brickle. :D

Mmmmmmm... Butter Brickle.... My favorite...

Hey, wait a minute... What happened to the "BAN MICROS" thread? It seems like it was hijacked by ice cream junkies.

I say let's ban ice cream filled micros! (Unless they're filled with butter brickle!) :D

Edit: Added brickle bracket.

Edited by Trinity's Crew

(repeat)

(repeat)

(repeat)

What's the matter with you? Are you lactose intolerant?

(repeat)

(repeat)

(repeat)

Um, its going to end soon if it keeps going in this direction.

Warning.gif

Micro caches suck!

But Fergus-think of the challange of making little teeny chain mail balls that could fit inside a 35mm can or even a bison tube. They would clean up better than the log sheet would from the melted ice cream too. :(

I made up a new inspired dessert creation last night to beat the heat (it was still over 90 at 11 PM!) I took some homemade mini lemon tarts from the freezer, and chopped them up in the processor and then added some Edy's rich and creamy vanilla, and just pulsed it a few times to bind the lemon and pie crust chunks into the ice cream. Lemon pie ice cream!

:(:( MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :D:(

Which is more elitist, the fact that many of us hang out in the forums, or that someone would assume that we don't know anything about the hobby because we post here often.  :(

We have the choice of not participating in those threads of which we are weary or of which we have no interest.

So, as you have proven in this thread by the way you successfully managed to derail the thread into off-topic nonsense, (an action a few individuals seem to habitually do in threads every single day), it's obviously the former. :(

Edited to remain on topic: Don't ban microcaches. Don't approve new microcaches for those known to place lame microcaches.

Edited by Yankees Win!
Which is more elitist, the fact that many of us hang out in the forums, or that someone would assume that we don't know anything about the hobby because we post here often.  :(

We have the choice of not participating in those threads of which we are weary or of which we have no interest.

So, as you have proven in this thread by the way you successfully managed to derail the thread into off-topic nonsense, (an action a few individuals seem to habitually do in threads every single day), it's obviously the former. :(

Hey, you're off topic!

Edited to remain on topic: Don't ban microcaches. Don't approve new microcaches for those known to place lame microcaches.
You really want the volunteer reviewers to become the quality control cache police? Think twice, post once.

And at what point do you deny someone who has a history of placing good caches, but decided to throw a few lame ones out there? And can someone learn to place better caches? Not with your proposed system. :(

It ain't broke-don't try to fix it after 10 weeks on the job, please. :(

I like ice cream, I like it a lot! :(

Edited by wimseyguy

:( Don't ban microcaches.

Don't put your perception of lame on other people.

Have fun with your own caches. :(

I am personally done with this thread ( unless it hangs around long enough ) but it has been a heck of a lot of fun. :(

You really want the volunteer reviewers to become the quality control cache police?

:( Perhaps you should think about something besides ice cream. :D

The reviewers already deny dozens of caches a month for any number of subjective (and apparently from the viewpoint of many people arbitrary) reasons. If regional reviewers are, as we have been told, keenly aware of the people and activity in their areas of responsibilities, it shouldn't require much extra thought or effort.

And at what point do you deny someone who has a history of placing good caches, but decided to throw a few lame ones out there?

Nip it in the bud. "Standards of quality" have been established for some category of caches ... might as well be consistent and establish them for all categories.

It ain't broke-don't try to fix it after 10 weeks on the job

:D But I thought "ignorance" was supposed to be "bliss?" :(

From what I've seen out there, "it" broke down sometime in the second half of 2002 and things have only gotten worse since then. But I do agree with the statement I so often see in these threads: "The game is what you make of it." The lower the expectations people have of the game, the happier they will be.

:( :( Why, I've heard that some people really enjoy mucking out stables, too. :(:D

Edited by Yankees Win!
You really want the volunteer reviewers to become the quality control cache police?

:( Perhaps you should think about something besides ice cream. :(

The reviewers already deny dozens of caches a month for any number of subjective (and apparently from the viewpoint of many people arbitrary) reasons. If regional reviewers are, as we have been told, keenly aware of the people and activity in their areas of responsibilities, it shouldn't require much extra thought or effort.

Soooooo, how are the reviewers supposed to know whether the cache is a creative hide or another micro under a lamppost skirt? And how would one define "lame"?

...Soooooo, how are the reviewers supposed to know whether the cache is a creative hide or another micro under a lamppost skirt? And how would one define "lame"?

First I'd say the use of a Glass 3rd eye in that cat as a cache container was very creative. 65feadeb-7ca5-4a97-a43b-90ed1e0abafc.jpg

Then I would define lame as the cacher after he actually got that cache and signed the log, and put it back. All because you forgot to have the cat declawed.

To build on your point. I've seen lots of light pole caches now. However I've also seen a lot of caches a waterfalls, beautiful scenery and so on. Having seen it more than once doesn't make it lame. Hell if that was the case we would have to give up sex with our wives.

Soooooo, how are the reviewers supposed to know whether the cache is a creative hide or another micro under a lamppost skirt?  And how would one define "lame"?

I suppose it would be necessary to make full disclosure about the cache in the "reviewer notes." Yeah, I know people frequently lie to the reviewers as things are now. :(

And how would one define "lame"?

I would say, if the area is already saturated with similar, undistinguished caches, there is good reason to think twice about approving another similar, undistinguished cache. Especially if the area cachers are complaining about them and aren't logging finds on them. (Yeah, I know ... geocacher restraint? It's the rarest of virtues.) :(:(:(

Edited by Yankees Win!

So I shouldn't hide an ammo can under a bush, because there already fifty ammo cans hidden under bushes within fifty miles?

Seems a wee bit lacking to me.

And how do you know if the "area cachers" are complaining? What's the percentage of area cachers? Heck, what constitutes "area"? Would I, as the approver, have to take a straw poll? And what constitutes complaints? For example, I'm not fond of light pole hides...but I'll still find 'em. Is that complaining?

Whining about unfavorable cache types is as old as caching itself. Somehow this game has managed to survive despite that. Is it really too much to ask that each person take responsibility for identifying and ignoring those caches that they don't like?

cded8ef6-fcb1-42aa-b146-bba873a29635.jpg

The virt one should have been a ghost, or not.

BTW, I just realized that I've had three or four finds in my pda awaiting online logging for around a month. I remember the day. I had dropped the Jeep off to get new tires (BFG KOs, just like the old Jeep) and had some time on my hands, so I grabbed my pda and V and took a walk. It was a bunch of fun finding two or three micros and a regular-sized cache. It was pretty hot though, so I got some ice cream before I went back to get the Jeep.

edit: I'm being repressed by the spelling gods. Also, I accept your apology.

Edited by sbell111
It was a bunch of fun finding two or three micros and a regular-sized cache.  It was pretty hot though, so I got some ice cream before I went back to get the Jeep.

Yea . . . we know that finding micros is the very best caching there is . . . but do please tell us more about the ice cream!!

Edited by GRANPA ALEX

How about banning all people who express "hate" against any sort of cache, content, or caching related activity that is within the netiquette? These people really need to grow up and replace their "if I don't like it, I call 911" attitude with something the rest of us take for granted - tolerance.

Jan

How about banning all people who express "hate" against any sort of cache, content, or caching related activity that is within the netiquette? These people really need to grow up and replace their "if I don't like it, I call 911" attitude with something the rest of us take for granted - tolerance.

Jan

that sure doesn't come across as being 'tolerant' :laughing:

Jan

"Hate" is intolerable ... period.

Jan

Jan

"Hate" is intolerable ... period.

Jan

I just meant banning somebody for the use of a word 'hate' as it stands, does not come across as being tolerant. If we were truly tolerant, we would allow others to have and voice their opinions, smile and nod, and go caching tomorrow just the same. I agree there are some times that this needs a proactive solution, but not for disliking a certain type of cache, how trivial does that seem?

anyway.... Pralines and Cream!!! MMMMM :laughing:

carry on....

I just meant banning somebody for the use of a word 'hate' as it stands, does not come across as being tolerant. If we were truly tolerant, we would allow others to have and voice their opinions, smile and nod, and go caching tomorrow just the same. I agree there are some times that this needs a proactive solution, but not for disliking a certain type of cache, how trivial does that seem?

anyway.... Pralines and Cream!!! MMMMM :)

carry on....

Oh ... kay. Then I guess we all aren't that tolerant. Otherwise we would have just ignored the OP.

... where is my Ice Cream?

Jan

We often use words repeatedly and they become crutch responses to any thought we express. It has very little to do with tolerance, just laziness in word choice.

We use hate and kill when we really don't mean them - we have come to apply them to inappropriate circumstances and without thought . . . but the beauty is, most everyone else does to and understands what we mean - so, it works.

The problem is, that when we really mean hate or mean to kill, no one believes or understands our emotion . . . the 'cry wolf' syndrome.

Besides, Rocky Road ist the epitomy of frozen desserts . . . the almonds, the marshmellows, the luscious dark rich chocolate ice cream - oh my goodness, it is so-o-o-o unbelievably scrumptious. Nothing can top it, except whipped cream.