Ban Micro Caches

There are certainly examples of micros in the woods where cachers trample over everything looking for a needle in the haystack. But my general experience is the opposite. Ammo can hidden in a bush - pushing aside braches of every bush in the area looking for it, perhaps even bushwhacking a little further off trail because the hider may have hid it there to prevent it from being accidently found. Micro - stopping, looking around, using my geosense to spot the likely hiding spot: the crook of that tree, the hole in the rock, that pile of rock there. Usually much less impact than the ammo can.

So people don't use their geosense to find ammo cans? C'mon, that PPS (pile of parallel sticks) or URP (unnatural rock pile) kinda gives it away, doesn't it?

Now, where could that micro be? Maybe the scrap of tree bark is glued to it. No? How about under this rock? That rock? The other 157 rocks in the area? The longer I stand here and look, the more impact I'm having on the area. And yes, I push aside tree branches looking for micros too.

Larger caches have much less impact on the area than microcaches

EEK!!!!!! I agrree with Sax are you kidding a micro will have far more IMPACT on an area then a regular size cache. Ususally you can see where a regular cache is from 50 feet away or atleast a likely spot. Why do people HATE micros they are harder to find. Harder to find equates to more time TRAMPLING around looking for a pill bottle in a rat hole, or under a rock or just stuck in a pile of brush under a rock. I have seen areas where micros are hidden look like some one dumped Agent Orange on the area. So this one goes to SAX.

cheers

I was only speaking from my own experience. Things may be different in different areas, but here in Southern California the most common place for an ammo can is under a creosote or sage bush. You can't see it from 50 ft. away. You have to look under every bush. Often the cache is hidden off the main trail usually on a game trail. Cachers trying to hide the can better often push it futher back in the bush. After the unusually wet winter we had, the game trail is now overgrown, the bushses are bigger. and you have to bushwhack to get to the cache. Micros and small size containers on the other hand are often located right next to the trail. Responsible hiders will usually say "No Bushwhacking Required" on the cache page. The un-natural pile of sticks or the pile of rocks won't be so big that you can see it from 50 feet. But if you keep your eyes open you will usually spot the hiding spot without leaving the trail and can retrieve the cache less environmental impact than looking for that ammo can. Of course there are ammo cans that are right out in the open and decon containers in the creosote bushes. Just don't assume that the bigger the container is always the less impact.

I would buy this version:

Generally speaking, in wooded / natural areas, larger caches tend to introduce lower levels of impact from cache hunters than smaller caches, which are often (but not always) more difficult to find. Of course, there are exceptions to any rule, but the responsibility of low impact visits to a sensitive area should rest primarily on the cache hunter, and secondarily on the cache owner.

Just don't assume that the bigger the container is always the less impact.

Amen. I just hate to generalize things and then expect them to always fit nice and neat in the little box I've made for them.

In my neck of the woods (the middle of Los Angeles' urban sprawl), it's hard to find a good place for a micro, let alone a full-size cache. Thus, my choice is to place a micro or to not place a cache at all. If you are proposing to "severely limit" micros, then I am left with only the option to not hide a cache. I don't see how that accomplishes anything.

Ya ever think "not at all" might be a better answer?

Generally speaking, in wooded / natural areas, larger caches tend to introduce lower levels of impact from cache hunters than smaller caches, which are often (but not always) more difficult to find. Of course, there are exceptions to any rule, but the responsibility of low impact visits to a sensitive area should rest primarily on the cache hunter, and secondarily on the cache owner.

Amen. I just hate to generalize things and then expect them to always fit nice and neat in the little box I've made for them.

You can buy it for $9.95 plus shipping.

Or you could just make an equivalent donation to the "Send Sax Man to China Fund" and I'll give it to you for free :grin:

My problem with all this BAN talk is that you are trying dictate container size based on YOUR preference. What about the people who love micros? There are a lot of those types. They are probably less vocal, because they don't have as much to complain about. However, if you were to ban micros, I think you'd be surprised by how many people would object. I personally love the challenge of a good micro, EVEN if it is hidden where a full sized cache could be hidden. Sometimes, the environment required to hide a specific micro's camo dictates the hide location and even though a bigger container could be hidden there, the location was selected with a specific hiding style in mind.

There are great tools for filtering out caches that you don't like. Also, if you want something to change, lead by example. That is the best way to successfully cause a change in preference.

The cost issue was also brought up, and this is definitely a consideration, especially if you factor in cache maintenance. Generally, the larger the container, the more money it takes to hide it (trade items, mainenance issues).

--Marky

There are certainly examples of micros in the woods where cachers trample over everything looking for a needle in the haystack. But my general experience is the opposite. Ammo can hidden in a bush - pushing aside braches of every bush in the area looking for it, perhaps even bushwhacking a little further off trail because the hider may have hid it there to prevent it from being accidently found. Micro - stopping, looking around, using my geosense to spot the likely hiding spot: the crook of that tree, the hole in the rock, that pile of rock there. Usually much less impact than the ammo can.

So people don't use their geosense to find ammo cans? C'mon, that PPS (pile of parallel sticks) or URP (unnatural rock pile) kinda gives it away, doesn't it?

Now, where could that micro be? Maybe the scrap of tree bark is glued to it. No? How about under this rock? That rock? The other 157 rocks in the area? The longer I stand here and look, the more impact I'm having on the area. And yes, I push aside tree branches looking for micros too.

EEK!!!!!! I agrree with Sax are you kidding a micro will have far more IMPACT on an area then a regular size cache. Ususally you can see where a regular cache is from 50 feet away or atleast a likely spot. Why do people HATE micros they are harder to find. Harder to find equates to more time TRAMPLING around looking for a pill bottle in a rat hole, or under a rock or just stuck in a pile of brush under a rock. I have seen areas where micros are hidden look like some one dumped Agent Orange on the area. So this one goes to SAX.

cheers

I hate micros. There is one little area that I'm ready to burn down. I've been trampling through it for 30 minutes to an hour, 5 different times.

Luckily, I got a Premium Membership and now I can Pocket Query the micros right out.

So have your fun, you micro-loving, micro-lovers.

I'll stick with small, regular and large.

I find that the cache size seldom has any bearing on the damage done to the landscape, some cachers are careful about damaging the area, some are not. I do find that small / micro caches tend to be more difficult or make you think more, but that does not necessarily mean you have to trample everything in a 100 foot radius to find them. If we are going to start banning things how about banning any caches that are full of junk toys, any caches that are hidden near poison oak, any caches that are in unlabeled containers, any caches that are miscategorized with regards to terrain difficulty, where does it end ?, if you don't like micros, don't look for em :grin:

That's a mouthfull and mostly disclaimers. I'd add that if you hide a larger cache in the same spot of a well hidden (low impact) micro that it would still have less impact than the micro it's replacing.

Ummm.... no. :grin:

Most of our hides are micros. Most of our finds are micros..... however we have managed to hide a 5 gal. container in the middle of the city (about .12 miles from the very urban Daytona International Speedway). Let the place determine the size. As to the usefulness of micros, they bring you to places you might never have known about in your home town, or sometimes it is just the thrill and challenge of the hunt; it develops stealth, or sometimes makes stealth useless by design to make you look ridiculous in front of a lot of people. I disagree that the era of macros is waning, but micros do work well where macros can't cut it. In one series I did, 3 out of 8 started as macros, but quick mugglings convinced us that micros would last longer, and therefore provide more satisfaction to the cacher. Micros are also more kid friendly. We've asked the kids, and the 6-17 group all prefer micros. They like either a clever container or a clever hide. (The 6-11 group particularly loves anything where they, or more importantly their parents, can look like complete lunatics while hunting. See (oh no, a non-micro example) The Federation must pay! My daughter loved sticking her hand up the posterior entrance of a lion at the middle of a busy intersection.) The future of caching has spoken, and they agree with many of the posters in telling the OP to go find a cache.

if you don't like micros, don't look for em
. Hey, am I clairvoyant or what?

Micros are also more kid friendly

Really? Tell that to my neices and nephews who expect to find "treasure" not a film canister with a slip of paper in it.

As to the usefulness of micros, they bring you to places you might never have known about in your home town,

Hmmmm, and regular caches don't? :grin:

Edited by briansnat
Hey, am I clairvoyant or what?

I bet you knew you were going to say that.. :P

I have a hard time finding Micros so I'm probably one of those that are less "stealthy" about finding them :P

case-in-point:

I found a good mico on the 31. It was in a park and my GPS had it within 5 ft (my SporTrak usually is very good out here in the clear skies of NM). Couldn't find it. I disected the bench, tried all the caps and screws, and even crawled under the bench... DNF.. :rolleyes:

Now the spot was a bench sitting in a park. behind the bench (within 6 inches) was a chainlink fence. behind the bench-fence, was a large bush surrounded by 4 more little bushes. I searched the bench and around this side of the bench - DNF. So, my natural assumption was to look in the bushes - I could see a "funny looking" rock placed at the base of the bush. I'm now "all over it" :grin:

So, thinking I'm so darn "geo-smart" B) and I found the little micro, I proceeded to "bushwack" B) a little into the bush to get the "rock" . Imagine my suprise when the rock was just that.... a rock!! B) Now, since I'm on the bushes, I'm sure it's there somewhere so we look all around the 'natural' area... but still DNF :grin:

Now, I'm totally confused.. back to square one. I take the GPS and set it back on the bench. It shows within 1 foot. I relook at the back of the bench, again, :) and see nothing... wait, what's that? how did I miss the little white tube the size of a pencap? :D Sure enough, my little micro was found :D

But, I descrated a bench, abused a bush, and almost broke a "fake looking sprinkler head"... all in the name of a micro... :(

Now, I never claim to be normal, but that typifies my Micro experinces... I look can't find.. the REALLY look and really don't find... B)

Did I mention I really stink at micros but I enjoy trying to find them! ;)

Really?  Tell that to my neices and nephews who expect to find "treasure" not a film canister with a slip of paper in it.

at the above mentioned fiasco, my kid were disappointed with the micro... seeing those sad eyes asking "why daddy is there no treasure" :rolleyes::grin:

Did I mention that i'll be doing micros on my own now? :grin::(

perhaps they should add a new category for kiddie caches ?, that way those who have kids with them can be assured of finding larger caches with trinkets and such ?, might not be a bad idea, for me it doesn't matter, I don't cache for the swag, just for the enjoyment of getting outside and seeing new places, and whether a cache is a micro or the size of a truck it serves that purpose.

Hey, am I clairvoyant or what?

I bet you knew you were going to say that.. :D

I have a hard time finding Micros so I'm probably one of those that are less "stealthy" about finding them ;)

case-in-point:

I found a good mico on the 31. It was in a park and my GPS had it within 5 ft (my SporTrak usually is very good out here in the clear skies of NM). Couldn't find it. I disected the bench, tried all the caps and screws, and even crawled under the bench... DNF.. :D

Now the spot was a bench sitting in a park. behind the bench (within 6 inches) was a chainlink fence. behind the bench-fence, was a large bush surrounded by 4 more little bushes. I searched the bench and around this side of the bench - DNF. So, my natural assumption was to look in the bushes - I could see a "funny looking" rock placed at the base of the bush. I'm now "all over it" :D

So, thinking I'm so darn "geo-smart" :D and I found the little micro, I proceeded to "bushwack" :D a little into the bush to get the "rock" . Imagine my suprise when the rock was just that.... a rock!! :D Now, since I'm on the bushes, I'm sure it's there somewhere so we look all around the 'natural' area... but still DNF :D

Now, I'm totally confused.. back to square one. I take the GPS and set it back on the bench. It shows within 1 foot. I relook at the back of the bench, again, :D and see nothing... wait, what's that? how did I miss the little white tube the size of a pencap? :D Sure enough, my little micro was found :D

But, I descrated a bench, abused a bush, and almost broke a "fake looking sprinkler head"... all in the name of a micro... :P

Now, I never claim to be normal, but that typifies my Micro experinces... I look can't find.. the REALLY look and really don't find... B)

Did I mention I really stink at micros but I enjoy trying to find them! :D

It sound like you do stink at micros...

And my comment was going to be that I suppose people who like micros are good at them, and don't impact the landscape any more than people who like regular boxes.

Love Micros. My first cache ever was a micro. They are the only way to place caches in many aspot in the city. Where caches can always be had on a trip/layover/etc... When they are not placed in the city, they are always fun to bring groups to to look around for hours with. Much harder then stumbling across the ammo box. Plus, they allow for the creativity to run wild.

I say the more the merrier!

Here's what I ALREADY posted on texasgeocaching.com:

I don’t know about you, but I am TIRED of seeing all these micros.  ESPECIALLY when a larger cache could have been placed.  I live in Caldwell Texas.  I did a search of all new caches one month old or less in a 100 mile radius.  That BTW is 31,416 square miles.  Many times the size of Rhode Island.  There were 179 new caches.  Only THREE were listed as large.  HALF were micros.  What is the use of carrying a travel bug, or swag if Half the new caches are micros?  I would like to see Micros and Virtual caches severely limited if possible. 

Don’t get me wrong Micos have their place.  I just think that place should be severely limited, and proper.  We have all found that micro cache on the edge of some woods or park where a large cache could have been placed with a little effort.

Originally posted by Mathatalist - 05/31/2005 :  07:24:15 AM

WAAA! WAAA! WAAAAA!

Another "Everyone else should bend to suit MY enjoyment of the sport" thread.

How tired and short sighted....[V]

I just wanna know why I don't find more gold bars in caches? Maybe I should post a thread whining about it.

Choose your own experiences and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM!!! Sheesh. No one MADE you hunt a micro.[xx(]

Originally posted by Snoogans - 06/01/2005 : 6:55:12 PM

Jeeze, are you spamming EVERY geocaching website with this tired argument?

What do you hope to accomplish? ;)

Edited by Snoogans
But, I descrated a bench, abused a bush, and almost broke a "fake looking sprinkler head"... all in the name of a micro

For Rep. Ceips and her minions who are combing this site looking for anti geocaching ammunition, Team Shing is using hyperbole here - I hope.

:D all in good fun... if you can't poke a little fun at people... well then... go hide a micro :D Did I mention the trash I picked up at the public park, while I was there Rep. Ceips? :P Don't have slanted views... have educated and correctly informed ones... :D:D:D

I better have a disclaimer...

**If you are combing the forums looking for reasons to attack Geocaching.... geesh, lighten up and get a life. Please go after the people that throw cigarette butts, fast food, candy wrappers, and every other piece of trash into nature - and out of their car window :D - and have shown how little they respect the environement. that's the trash I pick up while rambling to my destination... :D Remember Geocaching is just hiking.... with a purposful destinaton (though predetermined) :D ******* ;)

But, I descrated a bench, abused a bush, and almost broke a "fake looking sprinkler head"... all in the name of a micro

For Rep. Ceips and her minions who are combing this site looking for anti geocaching ammunition, Team Shing is using hyperbole here - I hope.

:D all in good fun... if you can't poke a little fun at people... well then... go hide a micro :D Did I mention the trash I picked up at the public park, while I was there Rep. Ceips? :P Don't have slanted views... have educated and correctly informed ones... :D:D:D

**If you are combing the forums looking for reasons to attack Geocaching.... geesh, lighten up and get a life. Please go after the people that throw cigarette butts, fast food, candy wrappers, and every other piece of trash into nature - and out of their car window :D - and have shown how little they respect the environement. that's the trash I pick up while rambling to my destination... :D Remember Geocaching is just hiking.... with a purposful destinaton (though predetermined) :D ******* ;)

I am glad you are so postive in your statement. If what you say is true and folks are looking at the forums for reason to be pissed ag geocaching your statements go a long way to help THEIR cause, or atleast insite them that much more.

Here's what I ALREADY posted on texasgeocaching.com:

I don’t know about you, but I am TIRED of seeing all these micros.  ESPECIALLY when a larger cache could have been placed.  I live in Caldwell Texas.  I did a search of all new caches one month old or less in a 100 mile radius.  That BTW is 31,416 square miles.  Many times the size of Rhode Island.  There were 179 new caches.  Only THREE were listed as large.  HALF were micros.  What is the use of carrying a travel bug, or swag if Half the new caches are micros?  I would like to see Micros and Virtual caches severely limited if possible. 

Don’t get me wrong Micos have their place.  I just think that place should be severely limited, and proper.  We have all found that micro cache on the edge of some woods or park where a large cache could have been placed with a little effort.

Originally posted by Mathatalist - 05/31/2005 :  07:24:15 AM

WAAA! WAAA! WAAAAA!

Another "Everyone else should bend to suit MY enjoyment of the sport" thread.

How tired and short sighted....[V]

I just wanna know why I don't find more gold bars in caches? Maybe I should post a thread whining about it.

Choose your own experiences and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEM!!! Sheesh. No one MADE you hunt a micro.[xx(]

Originally posted by Snoogans - 06/01/2005 : 6:55:12 PM

Jeeze, are you spamming EVERY geocaching website with this tired argument?

What do you hope to accomplish? ;)

Jeeze, are you spamming EVERY geocaching website with this great reply?

What do you hope to accomplish? :P

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

:D all in good fun... if you can't poke a little fun at people... well then... go hide a micro :D Did I mention the trash I picked up at the public park, while I was there Rep. Ceips? :P Don't have slanted views... have educated and correctly informed ones... B)B):D

I am glad you are so postive in your statement. If what you say is true and folks are looking at the forums for reason to be pissed ag geocaching your statements go a long way to help THEIR cause, or atleast insite them that much more.

So their "cause" is now supported by the enjoyment of others on a public forum? Come on. What, so know I can't come here and have discussions and laugh a little because I might give someone ammunition? My goodness, think of the ammunition if they looked through the acutal logs from some people... :D

And by the way, i was serious in my statment about picking up trash when i was there.. and for Pete's sake

NO I DID NOT DAMAGE THE BUSH or THE PARK or THE SPRINKLER Head... thus all the laughing.. I'm sorry some people can't enjoy my sense of humor and exaggeration... :D

What's next, the forum police to attack sentence structer and spelling... oops, seen plenty of those threads :D better not say anthing "wrong" or I might fund the opposition... :D

Ok, i feel better now!! :D

Actually, this topic seems to go hand-in-hand with the other recent topic about decent hints, at least IMHO.

For some cache hiders it seems to be a game of "Let me place something out here so people can find it".

And for others, it appears to be a game of "Let me place something out here so no one can find it."

Best thing to do, probably, is just avoid those you don't want to look for. At least we have the ability to do that, rather than being disappointed to find a film canister in the middle of the woods where we expected to find a decent-sized ammo can.

What do you hope to accomplish? :(

To get micros limited.

There are a few good micros out there. But the majority of new ones are lame. As more and more of the good hiding spots are taken the new micros will get lamer and lamer.

I fear ;) two or three years from now, Geocaching will be another fad that has come and gone. One of the things that will have killed it, is the lame caches. My kids like to find treasure not a file canister. Remember that is how the game started. I do understand that some people prefer not to trade swag and that is ok also.

While I prefer regular/small caches to micros, I will still find them. Here in our fair city, all the good places (very broad and a matter of opinion) for regular caches are taken (good places to me have some historical, geographical or whimsical backgrounds to them) so micros are the way to go for the other places. I have placed two micros myself, both are in high high traffic areas which makes it fun to read the posts.

My two rupees...............

Where I live there are hardly any micros around. I have mostly full size caches in fact out of the nearest 20 caches only 3 aren't full sized. I'd personally like to see some more micros in urban settings.

Now where is that popcorn... <_<

I'd like to see more caches - I don't care where - but I'd rather not see more micros. The thing is, if you've chosen a good spot to hide something, you should easily be able to make it at least a small cache. With the help of some magnets and/or camo paint, you can hide a 180mL Lock 'n Lock just about anywhere, so why make it a micro?

Edited by Tidalflame

why does it seem like most of the topics are rehashes of very recent threads?  Just wondering.

.....Because there are only so geocaching topics you can discuss.

Its not general economics pop culture, DNA or astronomy.

I could go for a good economics discussion right about now. Micro or macro? You pick.

I don't know about you, but I am TIRED of seeing all these micros. ESPECIALLY when a larger cache could have been placed. I live in Caldwell Texas. I did a search of all new caches one month old or less in a 100 mile radius. That BTW is 31,416 square miles. Many times the size of Rhode Island. There were 179 new caches. Only THREE were listed as large. HALF were micros. What is the use of carrying a travel bug, or swag if Half the new caches are micros? I would like to see Micros and Virtual caches severely limited if possible.

Don’t get me wrong Micos have their place. I just think that place should be severely limited, and proper. We have all found a micro cache on the edge of some woods or park where a large cache could have been placed with a little effort.

I have to agree. Something need to be done about the overuse of micro caches. I can say from my own experience that about 90% of micro caches suck. They are often placed where a normal sized, or even large cache could be placed. They are also placed in areas that have no need of a cache like a parking lot. If we did not have so many useless micro caches clogging the website it would be much easier to locate caches that are worth the time to hunt.

Tell me about it. If I see another ammo can placed next to a tree and covered by sticks I'm going to go postal.

I know what you mean. Sorry to say, one of the first geocaching terms I ever learned was "UPS" for Unusual Pile of Sticks. It's a sad world out there sometimes, sbell111, ya know?

Edited by ATMouse

"No sprinkler heads were harmed in the logging of this cache."

Ever since I saw the "unique cache containers" fourm topic, I always check the sprinkler heads at every cache I arrive at which have them in the area.

I'm always expecting it to be the sprinkler head!

:lol:<_<

Last week, the topic of choice was McToys in 'lame' caches. That one seems to materalize each week. Now the flavor of the week is micro's. Seems to be a trend of picking a type of cache and beating it to death. ... Frankly, I TNLN at most caches so the type doesn't really matter to me.

Your 3 minutes are up. Keep it clean. Now come out fighting!

<_<

Tell me about it.  If I see another ammo can placed next to a tree and covered by sticks I'm going to go postal.  <_<

Perhaps, maybe, possibly, I might have been known to, at one time or another, leave more parallel piles of sticks near a cache's coordinates, than I originally came upon whence I first arrived at the cache location. or maybe not? :lol::lol::huh::D

I have to agree. Something need to be done about the overuse of micro caches. I can say from my own experience that about 90% of micro caches suck. They are often placed where a normal sized, or even large cache could be placed. They are also placed in areas that have no need of a cache like a parking lot. If we did not have so many useless micro caches clogging the website it would be much easier to locate caches that are worth the time to hunt.

What determines if a cache is "worth" the time to hunt ?, I enjoy micros, usually more than larger caches, they are much harder to find and the hider can be more creative when hiding them, as for locations, a parking lot hide that gives someone a reason to take a walk during their lunch break can easily be as enjoyable as a large cache hidden in the hills somewhere. Personally my experience with larger caches has been they are mostly large containers filled with junk, and lets face it, there are only so many ways you can hide an ammo can. <_<