Ban Micro Caches

Probably mentioned before, but if you don't like micros filter them out... Badabingbadboom! Your problem is solved! That was simple wasn't it...

I like all caches myself. I agree with you at some point being that the micro was placed in an area where a regular cache could have been placed, but if there is thought involved I think a micros has it's place... Example: Search: Ga, Albany City, Valdosta Area, The Fallin Giant...

Sorry folks, I don't know how to connect links and such yet, but this micro prooves my point. My favorite thus far...

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents into the ring...

-Team HHD1

I think advice about setting geocaching rules should come from people who actually geocache instead of professional forum posters. How about some kind of rule about cache find to forum post ratios.

I'm kind of under my own "lockdown" until I get 100 finds for the forum, but this really got me mad. I'm 14, and cannot drive, I can't cache whenever I want to, and I often have alot of time in the summer, so I read about cache finds, look through pictures, and hike locally often. I've read up and down forum threads, and have hiked hundreds of miles locally and try to uncover history in the places I hike for neat hides I plan to place. I don't have 500 finds, but I feel I am no less of a cacher than any other just because I really love to geocache and don't have the ability to hop in a truck and go to one. These forums are, for the most part, the closest I can get to geocaching. I would love to drive around from dusk till dawn, geocaching with my friends and having a good time, but my mobility limitations cause me to only cache when I have a ride to it. I'm sure I'm not the only under 16 cacher who feels limited in their caching abilities due to lack of a drivers license. I recently found alot of micros, and have confirmed my belief, that I prefer strapping up for a 5 mile hike than a micro hidden in a tree. I, personally, don't get any self-satisfaction with finding a micro as I do finding a regular sized cache far out in the wilderness, not to take anything away from those who are not able to get to these caches, or just enjoy a good micro. I think the point I'm trying to make is that I do not appreciate someone telling me that because I spend my time in forums because it's as close to geocaching I can get sometimes to geocaching, to knock my opinion on micros because it has no "validity" because I've only found 40 some caches. I don't expect many of you to sympathize with this situation, but understand, sometimes to cachers like me talking about geocaching is almost as good as geocaching when you don't have the option to get in a car and drive 20 miles to get a cache.

Back into my little hole for a while. :laughing:;)

Edited by Team AlphaOmega
I don't see the point in banning or limiting something that you are not forced to be a part of.  The existence of micros is not a mandate for you to find them.

I prefer larger caches, myself.  But, that's because I spend a great deal of my time in the mountains or out in the desert.  But, in urban areas, it can be pretty hard to hide an ammo box.  (edit color:)(although, I'd like to see a 5-gallon bucket hidden in a parking lot)  :laughing:

It seems to me that once you get out of town, there are very few micros.

--Chino

Five gallon bucket hidden in a parking lot - The Matt Maupin Cache

;):laughing:;)

<snip> I'm 14, and cannot drive, I can't cache whenever I want to, and I often have alot of time in the summer, so I read about cache finds, look through pictures, and hike locally often. I've read up and down forum threads, and have hiked hundreds of miles locally and try to uncover history in the places I hike for neat hides I plan to place

Pssst-so what are you waiting for? Go ahead and hide some caches in the neat places you can get to without a ride or a car. ;)

I'm sure the locals would love to come find them, and just maybe even hook up with you while they are in the neighborhood and drive you to another neat place to go cache together? :laughing: Some of my best caching experiences are with my geopals.

<snip> I'm 14, and cannot drive, I can't cache whenever I want to, and I often have alot of time in the summer, so I read about cache finds, look through pictures, and hike locally often. I've read up and down forum threads, and have hiked hundreds of miles locally and try to uncover history in the places I hike for neat hides I plan to place

Pssst-so what are you waiting for? Go ahead and hide some caches in the neat places you can get to without a ride or a car. ;) ...

...or don't. Whatever you decide is perfectly fine.

Pssst-so what are you waiting for? Go ahead and hide some caches in the neat places you can get to without a ride or a car. <_< ...

...or don't. Whatever you decide is perfectly fine.

:blink::rolleyes:

Well, being that this is my first post on this forum, and not many people know me outside of Salt Lake, even though I've cached in 21 states.... I have to say that those who cry about micros seem to think someone's twisting your arm to find them.

I am a truck driver, and do find my share of both large and small caches around the country. 2/3rd of my caches I've placed are small, mostly fitting in a theme, like bridge caches. Most of the time I sign the log and move on. When I place a larger cache, I don't like to buy "Stuff" just to fill it, so I do a theme there too.

Personnally, there is room in this hobby for ALL SIZES of caches. There are sevaral around Salt Lake that I personnal will not go for, either due to time to work out the puzzle or no time to hike in. Not all micro's are a mint tin at the base of a lamp post. There are alot placed with ALOT of work/thought into them. It's not all that hard to put an ammo can under some sage brush (as we have a lot in the west) and call it hidden.

I love caching for the mind workout. When you come across a pile of rocks where there are no real piles of rocks, it's a dead give-away. There is one cache in IA that I could not find, and it's an ammo can, in a forest, located off a road side rest stop. If I get back that way, I'll look for it again. I just found a small mint tin in a CA rest stop that required a bit of a walk, but there was no real way to hide an ammo can there, without it disappering.

So, my final thought is, if you don't like micros, don't go for them. If you like having to think where someone would hide a micro, the look for them. If you don't like hiking to a cache, then don't. If you like hiking for a great view plus a cache, then go for it. There is enough room in this hobby for all of us.

55+ placed, 1060 Found (not bad for the first 1 1/2 years) :lol:

I like all types of caches, but it should be in proportion. They are called traditional caches because they are the main type. That should, in turn mean that they would be the most common. There should not be 50 micros for every traditional. But still feel lucky that you have that many caches nearby. I have about 20 caches in the 100 mile radius. There are a few trying to help it, but it is so far to little avail. :lol: :lol:

Micros are fine, in the city, but a couple I found this summer were in the bush,

a mile from the road! Still, I am glad that I had them to find.

Virtuals are thick in Nauvoo, IL, a few miles by the crow fly from me, where

someone could have worked in a micro. A river stands between me and them,

so they are over 25 miles by road. Still, I may do them one day.

Micros are fine...I like micros in cities especially because you have to make sure nobody's watching you :o , but I also enjoy well hidden micros in the woods. I like the hunt and the cleverness of some of the hiders I’ve encountered sure there are some caches I didn't enjoy as much as others but you can't please everyone. <_<

Edited by Utsman

The most interesting thing about opinions is that they are more often composed of feelings instead of intellect and fact.

If we are going to ban something, let's ban the traditional cache. Face it - no purpose is served by it except for self-satisfaction. Oh wait, it is that same self-satisfaction that I get when I find a micro. I especially like micros that are well hidden and are clever. Maybe we shouldn't ban them after all.

The nice thing about this game is that if you don't like an aspect of it, you don't have to play it that way. This is your game, play it however you like as long as it doesn't impact the enjoyment by others.

Oh, and get over yourself - if there is no good traditional, multi, whatever your favorite cache is in your area - go hide some. Maybe everybody else in your area will suddenly start to hide them to. Otherwise face it, people hide what they like, not what you like. True they hope you will come, but if you don't that's alright to.

It is your game - play it how you want - but don't stop me from enjoying how I want to play it.

Edited by martinell

its funny me and my cachebuddy were just discussing this topic so i feel like putting my two cents in here...when i started caching like 3 years ago i think.. everything was tupperware and rubbermaid caches with tonz of stuff in them...it was great..i went out and bought a bunch of cheap stuff to trade and then i stopped caching for a little over a year until my friend took it up also..then it became a competition to get to 100 and 200....and i noticed that all the caches became micros...yeah a micro here and there is nice but what happened to trading and leaving trinkets...there are some caches that are regular size that it took me 20 trips to find...the micros are always in the same spot..under lights, behind benches, etc...yet i have seen some very creative ones like making a reflector a cache...we just currently made a cache out of a golfball...good luck with that one...but if your gonna place a micro get creative....yet i hope more people start placeing regular caches again...much more fun.

thanx

It is your game - play it how you want - but don't stop me from enjoying how I want to play it.

But that's just the thing. Somebody who thinks micros are great to the exclusion of everything else can--and many times does--blanket the area with these throw away caches.

Then a visitor comes to the area and seems to find nothing but cheap, thoughtless caches in less-than-inspired locations. They are turned off as they've had their enjoyment of the game lessened.

The alternative is to start ignoring micros. Mircos are the choice of the uninspired and that is unfortunate. There are plenty of micros we've done that are great. They lead you to a nice location and leave you with a sense of satisfaction. The problem is it's becoming (or has become) where far too many micros are simply uninspired.

Plus, you can't simply ignore micros because they take up room where a traditional might be placed. It would take an act of TPTB making the decision of the proximity rule not counting against caches of radically different sizes--one a film can and the other an ammo can for example--in order to be able to truly ignore micros. But that doesn't really solve the problem.

The true problem is the fact the cache is uninspired and/or in a less-than-interesting location. These come in all sizes, not just micros. Solve this problem and there will not be any "micro problem" and the hobby will be that much better off.

The true problem is the fact the cache is uninspired and/or in a less-than-interesting location. These come in all sizes, not just micros. Solve this problem and there will not be any "micro problem" and the hobby will be that much better off.

Here here! I agree, ban all uninspired and uninteresting caches, regardless of size! :o

Now how exactly do you propose we identify them, and accomplish this lofty goal? <_<

How how exactly do you propose we identify them, and accomplish this lofty goal?

We let the masses decide, of course.

The primary problem is the fact that a cache owner can delete a log on a whim which discourages truly honest feedback. The ability to provide true and valuable feedback to fellow cachers, not just the cache owner, will go a long way in solving a good number of problems. It seems that the majority of folks who don't want this are the ones who fear their cache might not be seen as worthy as the next guy's. I say, let the chips fall where they may and place a better cache next time.

I think advice about setting geocaching rules should come from people who actually geocache instead of professional forum posters. How about some kind of rule about cache find to forum post ratios.

I'm kind of under my own "lockdown" until I get 100 finds for the forum, but this really got me mad. I'm 14, and cannot drive, I can't cache whenever I want to, and I often have alot of time in the summer, so I read about cache finds, look through pictures, and hike locally often. I've read up and down forum threads, and have hiked hundreds of miles locally and try to uncover history in the places I hike for neat hides I plan to place. I don't have 500 finds, but I feel I am no less of a cacher than any other just because I really love to geocache and don't have the ability to hop in a truck and go to one. These forums are, for the most part, the closest I can get to geocaching. I would love to drive around from dusk till dawn, geocaching with my friends and having a good time, but my mobility limitations cause me to only cache when I have a ride to it. I'm sure I'm not the only under 16 cacher who feels limited in their caching abilities due to lack of a drivers license. I recently found alot of micros, and have confirmed my belief, that I prefer strapping up for a 5 mile hike than a micro hidden in a tree. I, personally, don't get any self-satisfaction with finding a micro as I do finding a regular sized cache far out in the wilderness, not to take anything away from those who are not able to get to these caches, or just enjoy a good micro. I think the point I'm trying to make is that I do not appreciate someone telling me that because I spend my time in forums because it's as close to geocaching I can get sometimes to geocaching, to knock my opinion on micros because it has no "validity" because I've only found 40 some caches. I don't expect many of you to sympathize with this situation, but understand, sometimes to cachers like me talking about geocaching is almost as good as geocaching when you don't have the option to get in a car and drive 20 miles to get a cache.

Back into my little hole for a while. <_<:P

I am 14 and I agree with everything that he said. :o

The primary problem is the fact that a cache owner can delete a log on a whim which discourages truly honest feedback.  The ability to provide true and valuable feedback to fellow cachers, not just the cache owner, will go a long way in solving a good number of problems.

You know what else discourages honest feedback? Those cache owners that don't necessarily delete legitimate logs that might be viewed as critical, but rather post a note to their own page disparaging the seeker ... usually, such owner notes seem to be replete with venom, gossip, and lies. And even if the seeker edits or deletes their "offending" log, the owner note remains as part of the "history" of the cache.

We let the masses decide, of course.

Perhaps there should be a special member-only forum area entitled "Caches to Avoid and Why." Subdivide it by regions.

Edited by Skovar
Once again I suggest that we ban people who say we should ban micro caches.

I don't think we should ban anyone. I don't mind it if somebody doesn't like the same flavor ice cream that I do. Even if they say, "Ban rocky road", I know that's never going to happen so I'll interpret the comment as a figure of speach. <_<

I am pretty new to geocaching. But so far this is what Ilike and don't like.

First off- I would like to say I have not yet put out any caches. We plan to - but we want to make them good ones. So for now we are hunting so we can see what others have done. Our goal is to take what we liked best of all of them and build something awesome and fun.

My favorite cache is what I call a treasure hunt. I am getting into the travel bug thang and let's face it - they won't fit in a micro cache. I like to see what other people leave. It's all very interesting.

I like a micro cache if it is in an interesting place. I hate the ones that are in ugly places with no point other than to find an ugly little box with a sheet of paper in it. You know the ones I mean - the same person has set out hundreds of other pointless caches just to get big numbers. All 100 of them are close to each other and if you have found one you have pretty much found them all. Zero imagination. To me these are boring.

So far I have liked most of the virtual caches we have visited. In our area most of them are cool points of interest to places I never knew existed. Those are nice. But again, I do not like the virtual caches that lead to a pointless place.

Of the "treasure" caches, I love those that have made clever disguises for them. There are a lot of them that the owner has put much thought into and made them fun. Cutting the center out of a log and putting a container in it. The electrical box ones... such cool things to do.

As for the "Million Cache Man" ? I just remove all the rest of his caches off my list and move on to the ones that are more fun.

I may not like all the caches - but I would rather avoid the stupid ones than have someone dictating to us what is acceptable. I might not like some micro caches - but there are those who do and I would not want to spoil their fun.

Having fun is the whole point.

Can't we all get along...

Live and let live, etc....

What ever floats your boat...

B)

I agree whole-heartedly. You know before you leave home, which caches are micros and which ones are not. If you don't like micros, filter them out and find the rest of them.

My thought is that of others - it could be too costly for some people to place large caches - $10 may be alot of money to them at this point. They might be able to afford a magnetic key holder or have spare film canisters at home they can use. Should we ban these people from playing the game entirely because they don't have the funds necessary to hide a large cache? I think not! They have as much right as everyone else to play and have fun.

I know some will say that it doesn't take $10 to hide a larger cache. You are correct, they can use items they have at home - tupperware containers, etc. and fill them with loot from their closet, junk drawers, and the bottom of their kid's toy chests and guess what? Somebody will complain about the quality of the trade items!

In summary, it you like the size of the cache and it sounds interesting to you - power on your GPS and get going! If not, leave it for someone else to find and enjoy.

Happy Caching!

Oh gadfreys!

Too many people are thinking of Geocaching as one big game with common rules among all caches. That is just stupid. Each cache is its own game with it's own rules. Groundspeak can put requirements on what caches they will and won't put on their site but in the end it is th cacher who controls the cache. The internet is a vast wasteland and Groundspeak dosen't begin to cover or control a "Micro Cache" worth of it any Twelve year old with a copy "HTML for Dummies" can start their own site and change the rule to the complete oppisite of Groundspeak for the Caches' He will Post On HIS site.

This Topic is long and Stupid. Please Lock it.

Oh gadfreys!

Too many people are thinking of Geocaching as one big game with common rules among all caches. That is just stupid. Each cache is its own game with it's own rules. Groundspeak can put requirements on what caches they will and won't put on their site but in the end it is th cacher who controls the cache. The internet is a vast wasteland and Groundspeak dosen't begin to cover or control a "Micro Cache" worth of it any Twelve year old with a copy "HTML for Dummies" can start their own site and change the rule to the complete oppisite of Groundspeak for the Caches' He will Post On HIS site.

This Topic is long and Stupid. Please Lock it.

The thread was fading away quite nicely on its own prior to being bumped. :anicute:

Sorry, but on-topic threads don't get closed unless there's violations of the forum guidelines which make locking the thread the best answer.

The topic originator is welcome to close their thread at any time, of course.

Yes, everyone please quit bumping this topic. :ph34r:

However, if you hate (or love) micros the preferred way to express is that is to come here and say so, in general starting a new topic is frowned upon, unless you have something new to say (which is unlikely) [smiley goes here]

I wish we had a thread where all ... uh ... whining could occur and then we had an ignore list to use just on that thread. :)

/back on topic

In general I am not very fond of micros, put I have placed one, so I am a hypocrite... :rolleyes:

[Edit: removed stoopid typo]

Edited by Tharagleb
Yes, everyone please quit bumping this topic. :ph34r:

However, if you hate (or love) micros the preferred way to express is that is to come here and say so, in general starting a new topic is frowned upon, unless you have something new to say (which is unlikely) [smiley goes here]

I wish we had a thread where all ... uh ... whining could occur and then we had an ignore list to use just on that thread. :)

/back on topic

In general I am not very fond of micros, put I have placed one, so I am a hypocrite... :rolleyes:

[Edit: removed stoopid typo]

Well, I am OK with micros and feel they have thier purpose.

I do not have own any micro caches, so overall, things even out.

...It seems that the majority of folks who don't want this are the ones who fear their cache might not be seen as worthy as the next guy's. I say, let the chips fall where they may and place a better cache next time.

So far my experience is that most of those who take the time out of their day to whine about my caches in their log (which remain) are the ones who have the classic welfare metality. They want me to make their caching experience better by making my cache fit their anemic mindset. With that attitude they are not worthy to help define what a cache experience should or shouldn't be.

The truly helpful individuals are rare. They provide honest feedback that I can use to improve my cache for everyone.

...It seems that the majority of folks who don't want this are the ones who fear their cache might not be seen as worthy as the next guy's.  I say, let the chips fall where they may and place a better cache next time.

So far my experience is that most of those who take the time out of their day to whine about my caches in their log (which remain) are the ones who have the classic welfare metality. They want me to make their caching experience better by making my cache fit their anemic mindset. With that attitude they are not worthy to help define what a cache experience should or shouldn't be.

Agreed. Some folks just couldn't have fun and would whine if you gave them free tickets to Disney World.

While I haven't looked at any of your caches, I get a sense from discussions that you are a fan of entropy and urban decay. I submit even within those interests there is everything from the fascinating to the completely worthless.

We've enjoyed plenty of hunts in and amongst ruins of long closed businesses of various types. I even had in mind an abandoned warehouse in the middle of the woods, but the easiest way to get to it is cross some land that's marked "No trespassing" and I don't want to encourage anyone to disregard such things.

The truly helpful individuals are rare. They provide honest feedback that I can use to improve my cache for everyone.

It's my experience that few folks, especially the ones that place sub-par caches, want or appreciate truly honest feedback. They only want to hear how great their cache is and it is appreciated even if the finder is left wondering why in the world were they taken there.

The cancer of micros is also happening down here. I am now going to boycott them unless I am really convinced that they are warranted for the location and not just used as a stingy alterative to placing a decent size and stocked cache.

I have place over a hundred caches and none of them are micros., they are all good caches with well stocked good quality products. The worst thing about micros is that they are often put in locations where a decent cache could have been placed.

A film cannister with a few pieces of paper and often not even a pencil is not geocaching and should be banned. Also, anyone can pull up at the side of a road and shove a film cannister in a hole in a tree. These type of Drive by caches are just plain boring and bring down the quality of the sport.