Ban Micro Caches

Our (remaining) cat is 17.  She is doing great, but my wife and I live in fear of the day that her age catches up with her.

Our outside cat (not really ours, but a stray we adopted) was murdered last night by my neighbor when she put a poisoned can of food on her porch and then covered our yard in moth balls to make sure she came to HER yad and not ours :blink:

I keep my two cats inside so that they are safe, If they go out it is their backyard and on a leash, yes cats can be trined to use a leash,

So can people. In fact, just this past weekend, I had to pay $175.00 / hour just to wear a leash. But that is another story...

Our (remaining) cat is 17.  She is doing great, but my wife and I live in fear of the day that her age catches up with her.

Our outside cat (not really ours, but a stray we adopted) was murdered last night by my neighbor when she put a poisoned can of food on her porch and then covered our yard in moth balls to make sure she came to HER yad and not ours :blink:

I keep my two cats inside so that they are safe, If they go out it is their backyard and on a leash, yes cats can be trined to use a leash,

So can people. In fact, just this past weekend, I had to pay $175.00 / hour just to wear a leash. But that is another story...

Yikes. I just read the entire series of quotes leading up to the last one. I had only read the last quote before replying. Please accept my condolences on the death of your pet. In my jusrisdiction, poisoning animals in that fashion is illegal. Were I you, I would seek the aid of the local authorities, and see if anything can be done. It won't help with the loss of the pet you had, but may save others in your area a similar fate.

I say if you dont like micros dont hunt for them

The solution is simple. Those who truly hate microcaches should each go out and hide at least a hundred of them.

That should keep "the numbers whores" so busy, even they might become bored ... but I guarantee it would not be long before we started reading threads decrying the lack of quality "Lightpole-in-the-WalMart-parking-lot" caches.

Edited by Yankees Win!

I've been doing this for a while, even if my numbers do not reflect it.

When I started, it was a new sport, the caches were full size and had wonderful prizes in them. It was a GEEKS dream, you found a cool item (phone, hard drive, knife, flashlight, ie: NOT cheap item) and you left a equally cool item. One of the first caches I found was stocked with $500 worth of items.

And the LOCATIONS of these cool caches were even better than the caches.

They were WONDERFUL places I never knew existed before.

Then the masses found out about geocaching, and the family cachers and the kids.

And very VERY soon it was plastic toy cars and McD's toys and crayons being left instead of those COOL items.

Don't get me wrong - I think this is a GREAT family sport, and I'm glad that MORE families are getting out doing GOOD things with their time.

Geocaching HAS CHANGED, and will change, Gone are those cool item days, Change IS ok. Big caches are Muggled or filled with junk (see other fourm), I can't remember the last item *I* took from a big cache - it is rare now.

For me, the hunt is the joy. And micros make that easier (for me, anyway)

I go to a cool place and sign my name and move on.

If people want more Big caches, Hide them, please! I want to hunt them.

But Big OR Micro, PLEASE, THINK before hiding it.

Is this a Cool location that Others would enjoy? OR is this hiding style something that will bring joy to the seekers. It should NOT be about numbers, but rather about the hunt and trip getting there and the view when you look UP...

Geocaching HAS CHANGED, and will change

You're right; the game has changed and hopefully will continue to evolve. But I don't think the game was originally invisioned to develop into a game of "Junior Spymaster," with the primary goal being "to escape detection by muggles." In my opinion, that variation of the game is a stupid waste of time.

But "to each his own."

(I am NOT anti-microcache. There are many wonderful microcaches. Sadly, it's too often difficult to "separate the wheat from the chaff.")

For every type of Cache, there is someone that loves them.

Micros are great for Urban areas, since a large ammo can would no doubt be muggled.

Some people don't appriciate the great outdoors, so they will stay close to civilization, can't be to far from starbucks.

Micros don't belong in the Mountains or the country, I don't like walking miles trough the wilds, over creeks, trough Poison Oak/Ivy, passed banjo playing locals just to find a film can with four bits in it.

Edited by Cruiserdude
I don't see the point in banning or limiting something that you are not forced to be a part of.  The existence of micros is not a mandate for you to find them.

We seem to go through this quite a bit. As the concerns about the security risked posed by unidentified and hidden objects intensify after the London bombing last week I think we will be seeing even less areas open to regular to large caches. At first I really didn’t like micros because they were so hard to find for a new cacher. I now appreciate anything out there I can hunt and find (yes, even if it is in lamp post micro cache in a Wal Mart parking lot!). Nobody was conscripted in the Geocaching Corps, so have fun with it anyway you like, just don't limit how I play.

Edited by slapshot52
There should be a "hiding limit" for cachers. Like one hide per member per month. To stop the 30 micros in one area. To totally throw off the balance of large/regular/micro each is good in small doses, but if you overload an area with too many, you have made an impact on caching in your area. No ONE CACHER, should be able to change the face of caching in their community. Leave some hiding spots for the rest of us, and let us decide what we like so we can hide it. The more variety the better.

How about a requirement that when some has found 20 caches they must hide a cache before they log another find.

I would like to see some caches hidden by those that have lots of finds but never place any, lets spread the cache maintance around a little more.

There should be a "hiding limit" for cachers.  Like one hide per member per month.  To stop the 30 micros in one area.  To totally throw off the balance of large/regular/micro each is good in small doses, but if you overload an area with too many, you have made an impact on caching in your area.  No ONE CACHER, should be able to change the face of caching in their community.  Leave some hiding spots for the rest of us, and let us decide what we like so we can hide it.  The more variety the better.

How about a requirement that when some has found 20 caches they must hide a cache before they log another find.

I would like to see some caches hidden by those that have lots of finds but never place any, lets spread the cache maintance around a little more.

I like the idea, but the reality would probably be bunch of 1/1 caches just to meet requirements.

I think, since typically the experieced cachers complain about quality, for every 100 caches you find, you are required to place a corresponding level of difficulty. 0-100, require a 1/1. 100-200 reuire a 2/1-2, 200-300 3/1-2 etc. that way, the quality standards can be set by those with the most direct experience.

Another option, kind of like the premium caches, is have levels of access dictated by finds. once you log 200+ finds, you get to open up new pages of caches where only people with that amount will find. Tier caches by levels, of some sort. For all the number folks and swag complainers, then people like me - with only 30+ finds, would only be able to access lower level caches.

Maybe not let people place caches until they have 20 finds or have found more at least up to a 3 difficulty.

just some idle rumblings.. :rolleyes:

There should be a "hiding limit" for cachers.  Like one hide per member per month.  To stop the 30 micros in one area.  To totally throw off the balance of large/regular/micro each is good in small doses, but if you overload an area with too many, you have made an impact on caching in your area.  No ONE CACHER, should be able to change the face of caching in their community.  Leave some hiding spots for the rest of us, and let us decide what we like so we can hide it.  The more variety the better.

Personally, I believe that rule would create even more lame caches than ever before.

For the most part, it seems that the cachers that don't hide caches are the type that are happy with hunting, and have no desire to hide a cache. If you force them to hide a cache, I'd bet that a bunch of them would hide the quickest and easiest cache possible, i.e. a lame micro or such.

I think that the best method is the current one...leave the hiding to those that enjoy it.

Another option, kind of like the premium caches, is have levels of access dictated by finds. once you log 200+ finds, you get to open up new pages of caches where only people with that amount will find.

I don't usually like the idea of adding more methods and rules and such to the game since it is so cool to begin with but this idea sounds pretty cool to me.

Once you hit two hundred, you can hide and find caches made for those who have hit two hundred. I don't know about doing a lot of different levels like that, but at least the one level might be interesting.

(And not every cache you create after number 200 has to be a "special" 200+ cache, only if the creator wanted it to be.)

:rolleyes:

If you force someone to place a cache, it is likely to be uninspired. Caches should be placed by people who want to place caches.

We have a cacher here who places lots of micros, but most are in interesting places. plus they are easily found (good hints). To limit this cacher, who has more than 80 caches out there, would limit my enjoyment of different areas.

Since someone can avoid searching for micros, I don't understand the problem, and some can be very fun. This cache was placed near the area where another cache kept being muggled. I think this one, despite its enormous size :rolleyes: will stay in place.

I would like to see some caches hidden by those that have lots of finds but never place any

Some geocachers only seek caches; other geocachers only hide caches. Gluttonous behavior is limited to neither group.

I think that one challenge would be to hide a full size traditional cache in the city. The challenging part might be in how the cache is designed or customized to fit into it's surroundings. I have no room to talk as I have yet to hide a single cache, however I do think that some really put lots of time and planning into a cache and those seem to be the neatest to find whether micro or reg.

I enjoy any type of cache; I will try any cache at least once. Micros in a high traffic urban setting can really get the heart pumping (trying not to let on as to what you are doing) or maybe the location would only support a micro cache. You could try to play on one of your favorite caches or areas, I did. Place one or more regular caches near a lonely cache to give others the same enjoyment that you received from the location. You could join the He Man Micro Haters Club (HMMHC they are always looking for new members). I'm still trying to clear all the caches in my zip code, every time I turn around a new one is popping up. Micro/regular, the choice is yours - do your part to make a change.

I enjoy any type of cache; I will try any cache at least once.  Micros in a high traffic urban setting can really get the heart pumping (trying not to let on as to what you are doing) or maybe the location would only support a micro cache.  You could try to play on one of your favorite caches or areas, I did.  Place one or more regular caches near a lonely cache to give others the same enjoyment that you received from the location. . . .

That is what I did. I placed five caches up a trail that ends with a very lonely cache that gets few visitors. Two of the caches were micros, one was small, and two were ammo cans.

So far, the people who have braved the heat to follow the series, have enjoyed them. :rolleyes:

Edited by idiosyncratic

Exactly.

I have a ammocan cache that I thought would be okay and really I'm not happy with it, Olin GWT

I have a micro in an area that could hold an ammocan, and it's done better than I thought it would. Martelle GWT

So what's the problem here? .....

to be continued...

(oh, my elephant reference will have a point too.)

Edited by BlueDeuce

Personally, I believe that rule would create even more lame caches than ever before.

For the most part, it seems that the cachers that don't hide caches are the type that are happy with hunting, and have no desire to hide a cache. If you force them to hide a cache, I'd bet that a bunch of them would hide the quickest and easiest cache possible, i.e. a lame micro or such.

I think that the best method is the current one...leave the hiding to those that enjoy it.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that there be a mandate on how many you can hide at once, you don't have to hide any if you don't want to.

man·date ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mndt)

n.

An authoritative command or instruction.

A command or an authorization given by a political electorate to its representative.

A commission from the League of Nations authorizing a member nation to administer a territory.

A region under such administration.

Law.

An order issued by a superior court or an official to a lower court.

A contract by which one party agrees to perform services for another without payment.

But you can only hide one per month as a limit. So more thought would go into hiding a cache, so the planning period could take a month, you hide it, and begin planning another. I just don't want to see someone grab 30 35mm canisters and put a slip of paper in each one, and drive around town and drop one every 528 feet. If they were limited to one, maybe they would put one in a place that was "neat" to visit. It doesn't have to be a hard terrain or diffuculty, but something someone would appreciate seeing, maybe a war memorial park. Maybe a roadside picnic area. I can't cache as much as I would like to but to many times have I read online, Micro This micro is hidden in Smithtown's Plaza, and the hint reads "under poles skirt". Don't knock micros, but knock lame caches, I've been planning my one cache since maybe June and haven't placed it yet. Cache quality is more important than cache size, and I think that may be what the OP is getting at. The size of the cache is in a direct variation with the areas "muggle traffic", sometimes a micro is absolutely neccesary, but make the cache something neat to find. If you place one in a guardrail on I-76 and you can drive up to it, "the hunt" factor, atleast for me is taken away, so the only thing I have left to hold onto is that where I'm going will have something fun to do for the day, or has a nice view, or anything that isn't drive within 2 feet of cache, sign the log, drive away. I'm not an experience cacher as many of you obviously are, but I'm just trying to emphasize the point all of you, or most of you, try to make.

We don't hate micros, we hate lame. :rolleyes:

Spell Check.

Edited by Team AlphaOmega

Ahh but some cachers, regardless of experience, can and do hide more than one quality cache per month. How would you suggest we allow them to provide these for our caching pleasure, and filter out those who are not worthy? :rolleyes:

And what exactly is a 'mandation'? :ph34r:

We found no results for your search of "mandation".We recommend that you try the following:

Check your spelling.

Try different words

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that there be a mandate on how many you can hide at once, you don't have to hide any if you don't want to.

<snip>

But you can only hide one per month as a limit. So more thought would go into hiding a cache, so the planning period could take a month, you hide it, and begin planning another. I just don't want to see someone grab 30 35mm canisters and put a slip of paper in each one, and drive around town and drop one every 528 feet. If they were limited to one, maybe they would put one in a place that was "neat" to visit. It doesn't have to be a hard terrain or diffuculty, but something someone would appreciate seeing, maybe a war memorial park. Maybe a roadside picnic area. I can't cache as much as I would like to but to many times have I read online, Micro This micro is hidden in Smithtown's Plaza, and the hint reads "under poles skirt". Don't knock micros, but knock lame caches, I've been planning my one cache since maybe June and haven't placed it yet. Cache quality is more important than cache size, and I think that may be what the OP is getting at. The size of the cache is in a direct variation with the areas "muggle traffic", sometimes a micro is absolutely neccesary, but make the cache something neat to find. If you place one in a guardrail on I-76 and you can drive up to it, "the hunt" factor, atleast for me is taken away, so the only thing I have left to hold onto is that where I'm going will have something fun to do for the day, or has a nice view, or anything that isn't drive within 2 feet of cache, sign the log, drive away. I'm not an experience cacher as many of you obviously are, but I'm just trying to emphasize the point all of you, or most of you, try to make.

We don't hate micros, we hate lame. :rolleyes:

Spell Check.

Sorry, I think that idea is even worse than your first idea. Limiting hide count will just mean fewer caches. I don't see how it guarantees a lower percentage of lame caches.

The people hiding lame caches now will continue to hide lame caches then. The people hiding excellent caches will continue to hide great caches then. The only difference will be, I'll have fewer of them to find.

No thanks.