World Records

Congratulations to geoPirat and Huskie on their new 24-hour world record cache hunt. :D

In the other thread New 24 Hour Caching Record, a suggestion that world records should be applicable to regions started me thinking about the whole concept of records.

A world record is just that; it refers to the biggest numbers, anywhere in the world. So the idea that you could have one world record in Nashville and another world record in Jacksonville, just doesn’t work.

Anyway, there are plenty of categories open for record holding. For instance, you could have a record for the most caches found in a 25-hour period, or more realistically, a 12 or 48-hour period. You could set a record for the longest period of continual caching. Or you could set a record the greatest distance between two caches found in a 24-hour period.

You could set a world’s record for the most caches hidden in a 24-hour period, or the most caches found, ever, without a GPSr.

I’ve said many times, I’m not a number hound; I’m a rose smeller feller. But I do share in the excitement of accomplishment of those who wish to compete.

My point? Well almost anyone can set a world record of some type, if they design the proper category.

So in closing, I ask you, in what category, might you qualify for a world record? :o:D:P

Edited by sept1c_tank

I am already the world record holder in several categoris.

The most caches hidden by someone born in Passaic NJ.

The most finds by someone with the surname, Sniatkowski.

The most finds in 24 hours by a Polish-Irish-Dutch-German-American, former high school soccer and baseball playing, beer loving, ex-punk rocker, avocational archaeologist - with freckles.

I think I should see if I can find 240 caches in 24 hours while drinking beer.  :o

Humph.

I shall see if I can log 240 DNFs in a 24 hour period while drinking beer. Now, THIS is a world record worth attempting! :P

EDIT: I will need a designated driver to accomplish this magnificent feat. :D

Edited by Jeep_Dog

I think we might be up for 2 different awards:

Longest Time between Signing Up and Actually Finding a Cache

Joined -- March 31, 2004, about a week after joining CarolinaCachers and some others on some hunts.

First cache found -- April 23, 2005!

So, what did I do in those 13 months? We both changed jobs, moved across town, and got busy with some other stuff.

Most Diversity for Someone with <10 Finds

None of this was done on purpose, just worked out this way. So far, we've logged 5 finds, and they include:

1 Multi-cache

1 Virtual Cache

1 Virtual Multi-cache

1 Micro Cache

1 Literary Cache / Book Exchange

These 5 caches have been in 4 different cities, none of which are closer than 10 miles from where we live (all are still in SC, though.): Gilbert (10 miles), Bowman (50 miles), Goose Creek (95 miles), and 2 in Greenville (98 miles). In fact, the one in Gilbert doesn't officially count, since technically it was "RD" that found it (on my lunch hour), not "RandLD". But we'll rectify that soon.

Next on our agenda are some more micros and traditionals, but those are 115 miles away in and around Beaufort (and those will push us over the 10 limit, so we won't qualify for the award any longer ...)

Maybe sometime we'll hit one of the 40 that are less than 10 miles from here ...

Or maybe I could win a forum award for highest number or percentage of edits within 5 minutes of posting ... (Proofread it before I posted, and still found something wrong after I submitted it! DOH!)

Edited by RandLD